Newly built gas station....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i've noticed that they're building a new shell gas station down a couple blocks away and was wondering if it'd be wise to use their gasoline as soon as they're open? My main concern is that of all the dirt/particles in the underground fuel tanks? Im probably making assumptions but can someone that knows alot about gas stations and such shed some light on the cleanliness of a newly built gas station? Thanks!

New station = new tanks = no rust, limited time for condensation to occur, etc. They're steel tanks, buried underground while capped tight. Dirt? They'd really have to screw up for that. Plus as stated above, the gas is filtered before it gets to your car. Heck yeah, buy their gas, maybe they'll have a Grand Opening sale!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Very informative... thanks guys. It seems like the consensus trends toward being okay or safe. I like mechtech's idea though and heck yeah i hope they do have a grand opening sale on their gas!!
gr_stretch.gif

I once got gas at a BP station and I noticed a technician changing the filter on a gas pump.

The filter is the same size as a Fram PH8A (Motorcraft FL-1A) oil filter. But of course these filters are designed for filtering gas, not oil.

I asked the service tech how often do the install new filters on the gas pumps......he said every 3 months.

Depending on the water table, they may not be fiberglass tanks, too light. Could still be steel but with all the new monitoring requirements. Those will be the cleanest tanks that gas came from for you car than any other gas you've ever bought.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
New station = new tanks = no rust, limited time for condensation to occur, etc. They're steel tanks, buried underground while capped tight. Dirt? They'd really have to screw up for that. Plus as stated above, the gas is filtered before it gets to your car. Heck yeah, buy their gas, maybe they'll have a Grand Opening sale!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

A grocery store near here is putting in a convenience store/fuel store on their property. The ones they put in the other day were dark red, either polyethylene or fiberglass. Definitely not steel or any kind of metal.

Don't worry. Every new place has a gas war with the resident watering hole in an attempt to repattern traffic habits. 1000's of cars will fill up in a few days. They will have multiple truckloads daily.

All cleaned out for you in less then 24 hours.
grin.gif

A bigger concern is with older stations and when was the fuel truck last there. It stirs things up that remain suspended for who knows how long after the tanker has moved out.

OK, I stand corrected. Fiberglass &/or plastic instead of steel = no rust *ever*, right?
grin.gif
But my advice still stands- new tanks = *clean* gas, IMO. So long as their prices are good, keep your tank full!
cheers.gif

Here is what I have heard, and observed. When they build a gas station, the tanks are often one of the first things installed. An empty tank of this size will float itself out of the ground in areas with a high water table, so they fill it with gasoline to hold it in the ground. That gas then sits there for weeks while the rest of the station is finished. It is probably fine, but it could be last season's gas, or risk being "stale", whatever that means. Also, all of the new plumbing, pumps, hoses, and nozzles may have small crud in them initially. Even though I know that there is an in-line filter, I typically avoid new stations for a while. I have never known anyone to have any problem using gas from a new station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back