Newer VW TDI oil consumption question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ike_Clanton
It won't use much; 2 quarts within the normal 10k interval is on the high side for these.

That seems excessive. My 2000 powerstroke ford uses about 1 qt per 8k-10k miles. I am use to Hondas and Toyotas that use less than 1/4 qt per 25k miles. Where is the oil going?

My 2009 CR TDI is at 21,000 miles and it doesn't consume a drop over the course of 10,000 mile intervals.

My previous 1999 model ALH rotary pump TDI never consumed a drop of oil at 10,000 mile intervals either.

Originally Posted By: wulimaster
From the owners of 2009 TDI 2.0 cars, what is the oil consumption rate of these engines?

well i used Honda and its consumption is very good. it make 15 or 16 km in 1 liter.

The spec is something like no more than 1qt per 1000 miles i think which seems insane since it has a dpf right? But on avg i'd say 1-2qt per 10K is avg. Assuming u use the 504/507 spec oil and such you'll be ok tho. Also the tdi's dont seem to fully seat the rings till 50K in some cases. from what i've read on TDIclub

The spec isnt for the normal engine, its for
the ones they wanna to avoid warranty replacement of.
Put a high spec and call the oilburners for normal...

We have an '09 JSW TDI.

We changed out the factory fill at just past 5k, again at 10k, and then left in the next change for the full 10k. We're going back to 5k intervals, since VW is paying every 10k.

We have zero consumption between changes. Zilch, nada, nothing.

The trick with the VW diesels is apparently to leave the factory fill in for at least 5k. Owners of older TDIs reporting high consumption tended to also be the ones who did a quick early change to a full synthetic. While the '09s require a full synthetic 507.00 oil starting from the factory, we still followed the old 5k rule and it worked out very well for us.

This engine takes at least 15k to fully break in, from our experience with them. Mileage is now starting to get in the appropriate spot (mid-high 40s on average).

It's a wonderful power plant, as small diesels go.

I just traded my 09 Jetta TDI at 42k. It consumed no oil between 10k changes. My 03 Golf TDI with 220,000 miles and it too consumes no oil at the standard 10k oil change interval.

By no oil I mean the dip stick still shows full at 10k.

Originally Posted By: wulimaster
From the owners of 2009 TDI 2.0 cars, what is the oil consumption rate of these engines?

New TDI engines always use more oil than after the break-in period.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
We have an '09 JSW TDI.

We changed out the factory fill at just past 5k, again at 10k, and then left in the next change for the full 10k. We're going back to 5k intervals, since VW is paying every 10k.

We have zero consumption between changes. Zilch, nada, nothing.

The trick with the VW diesels is apparently to leave the factory fill in for at least 5k. Owners of older TDIs reporting high consumption tended to also be the ones who did a quick early change to a full synthetic. While the '09s require a full synthetic 507.00 oil starting from the factory, we still followed the old 5k rule and it worked out very well for us.

This engine takes at least 15k to fully break in, from our experience with them. Mileage is now starting to get in the appropriate spot (mid-high 40s on average).

It's a wonderful power plant, as small diesels go.

This mirrors my experience with my 2010 Golf TDI. No oil consumption, 13k miles driven so far. I am running 5k OCIs with the specified 507 oil and will continue to do so throughout the warranty period.

We cycle through a lot of diesel equipment at my work. We usually buy 3 Kubota-powered 3-cyl diesel mowers as well as other diesel power equipment per year.

What I invariably notice is that they burn a lot of oil during break-in. And that break-in can last for quite a while. On the Pisten-Bully ski groomer with a 4.2 Mercedes diesel, it burned oil for the first 400 hours.

After that, they tight as a drum with no consumption.

I'm wondering that there's a lot of truth behind the idea that these TDIs aren't being broken in properly by changing the factory fill too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back