Newbie with a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am new here and want to ask you experts a question about my wifes brand new chevy venture minivan. Whenever it is first started in the mornings it has this clattering sound for like 1/2 a second. Sounds like the bearings are dry and has to build oil pressure. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 the first oil change at 2,000 miles.It has 3,800 miles now. I have had alot of vehicles and none have ever clattered like this at startup. It only does it after sitting overnight. The dealer says this is normal. I dont like the idea of the engine having to take that long to build oil pressure. It is only for 1/2 a second but I wouldnt expect this from a brand new vehicle. Any insight is appreciated.

Doesn't sound like an oil quality issue and you probably have an AC Delco filter.

Maybe you are hearing injector noise or something else??

Maybe not anything to worry about. I wouldn't sweat it.

Did you mean 1/2 minute or 1/2 second?

Sounds like good ol GM 3.4L piston slap to me
wink.gif

Yup. That's it. It *IS* supposedly normal. My 1997 Pontiac Trans Sport has it. Most of the 3.4s I hear do it. I've used AMSOIL 10W30 and 5W30 and it might be a little better, but still annoying as heck. I read a post on here that someone said Mobil1 0W40 quieted it down the most. I dunno if I'd put a 40W in your new car (mine has 80K miles), but I think I might try it next oil change.

I have had probably 5 or 6 60 degree V'6s before this one.Thats why I went with GM. Neither one has ever done this.. I am not sold on the fact that it is "normal". I dont know what else to do?? I just dont buy it... My 1988 S15 doesnt do this... I am worried that in a few years the rattle will not stop... I traded in a 2001 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 for this van. I didnt want to worry about bearings and the such. Guess I am in for a surprise?
pat.gif

Maybe it isnt something I should worry about... It is just really annoying to have a brand new vehicle make that noise.. Worries me to death.
frown.gif

I found that the piston slap is minimized on my '98 Transsport when I started using a K&N filter (oversized HP-2001..I think). M1 SS 5 or 10-30 seems to work quite well, on the other hand, regular Castrol syntec was the worst. Swepco 5W30 in going in when the snow melts..
canada.gif

I made an appointment with the dealer today. Going to drop the van off Monday night and they gonna listen to it Tuesday morning. I am sure they are going to say that it is normal but I am doing this just for documentation if something will arise down the road.I seriously doubt it is piston slap because it only does it for like 1/2 second. I am sure it is a dry start but how can I prevent this? Went from ac filter to an stp now (I think)/ BTW swepco? I never heard of it..Is this a new oil or something?

I think Swepco has been around for a while (from Texas). Check there web site. A local speed shop carries that oil. If it does well in my GM piston slapper, I may try it in the Acura.
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back