Newbie wanting oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO you can't beat Mobil-1 from Walmart. Also BJs (when on sale). I found Amsoil coked in the PCV system when I used it 20 years ago in my Volvos. I was an Amsoil dealer for about 5 years. The grease is very good, but in my experience I think Mobil-1 is less volatile.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
I don't need to link it, you [censored] well know where to find it. Subie guys seem to like their oil a little more substantial, that's what those two Amsoil products give them. KV@100 11,HTHS 3.3 Seems like getting hths from Pennzoil is like pulling teeth. Anything else Hater

I never questioned HTHS. I questioned your statement that it "surpasses" d1G2. For the record, many of us hold Amsoil in high regard (me included). But unsubstantiated claims are to be questioned. "Hater" doesn't qualify as a response.

If you ever do find that link, we'll be happy to review it, thanks.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 ($22.97) is d1G2 and also carries A5/B5 certification as does Valvoline Synthetic ($21.97) according to Valvoline's website.
As much as I like what Mobil1 has with their new "Annual Protection" chemistry, that Platinum has a $10 rebate good until the end of 2017. http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/promotion-7.html and the dexos1 Gen2 rating means its great stuff (GTL too). Makes the Walmart price of $23 go down to around $14 after tax for 5 quarts.

As for the Amsoil discussion, its not officially certified to be dexos1 Gen2, but likely is, as Amsoil does make great oil if a person wants to simply trust Amsoil's statements that they pass all the tests. Believe them on faith? Sure why not.

The great thing about Redline is that it's 5w30 has HTHS=3.7, good for very hard driving, and their 0w30 has HTHS=3.2, still well above Subaru's recommendation of HTHS>2.9. It's GroupV ester-based formula should help it avoid LSPI too. Just for very hard driving, if thats the goal. Cheaper and equivalent to using Redline would just be going to Walmart's Pennz/M1/Castrol 0w40 for very hard driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SonorousAria
I’m sure everyone here is thinking “oh God, here we go again!!!” But I would like some experience exes recommendations on oils for my next oil change. First the obligatory information:

1. I drive a 2017 Subaru WRX about 13000 miles
2. The manual recommends 5w30 full synthetic API SN of GF-5 across all temp ranges
3. I live in Southern California (IE if you’re local)
4. Its a sports car and I’m not going to lie, I tend to push it. But I always take it easy until oil reaches 150, and I let it idle for a few minutes before shutting down when I’ve been pushing it to let oil cool in the turbo.
5. By daily drive is around 20 miles with about half on freeway and half mountain roads.
6. My car is new with no known issues.

So, until now, I’ve been running subaru brand oil. I’ve been hearing that that oils is actually pretty cheap and prone to sheer in the turbo cars. I also only recently saw that mountain driving is classified as extreme conditions recommending 3000 mile oil change interval. I would like an extremely sheer resistant oil that would also allow me to keep the original 6000 mile oil change interval. I don’t mind special ordering oil, in fact I tend to mistrust off the shelf oil on instinct, but I would also like to avoid spending a small fortune if possible. I don’t care about resource conservation stuff as long as losing it would improve oil performance. I’ve been looking at Red Line oil and amsoil and I’m currently leaning more towards redline, but I wanted other options and ideas as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Question #2 answered your question. Synthetic oil, 5W30.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: madeej11
I don't need to link it, you [censored] well know where to find it. Subie guys seem to like their oil a little more substantial, that's what those two Amsoil products give them. KV@100 11,HTHS 3.3 Seems like getting hths from Pennzoil is like pulling teeth. Anything else Hater

Where do goofballs like you come from, and why do you post here? First you make unsubstantiated statements and then when people question you about it you make angry responses and call them a "hater". Looking back at your previous responses in other threads I see a theme in your attitude.

And your occupation in your profile - "amateur gynecologist." What are you, 12? You sure seem like it.

OP is that "SN AND GF-5" or is it "SN OR GF-5". ?

If just SN the Shell Rotella T5 Multi-Vehicle 5W30
A full synthetic heavy duty engine oil that is SN rated and KV100 = 12.1 cSt, with a HTHS >= 3.5 cP.

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/c8878a7f-be48-4555-a194-6c2b8a3ed1dc.pdf

In Australia we have a full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30 that is SN & A3/B4, with a similar viscosity and HTHS to the Rotella Multi-Vehicle above.

Both would be my SN pick for a WRX. I know people are now using the Rotella Multi-Vehicle in North America, so it's around.

Originally Posted By: SR5

A full synthetic heavy duty engine oil that is SN rated and KV100 = 12.1 cSt, with a HTHS >= 3.5 cP.

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/c8878a7f-be48-4555-a194-6c2b8a3ed1dc.pdf

In Australia we have a full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30 that is SN & A3/B4, with a similar viscosity and HTHS to the Rotella Multi-Vehicle above.

Both would be my SN pick for a WRX. I know people are now using the Rotella Multi-Vehicle in North America, so it's around.

I had some interest in this T6 (not T5) 5W30 when it was announced, but have never seen on shelves anywhere around me. I honestly don't get why it's so hard for me to find, sounds like some guys in Canada can get their hands on it.
With the prior LSPI issues in the engine being discussed I prefer to go for a d1G2 oil as I mentioned before (and I don't think the T6 5W30 is ever going to have that license), but I can sure see the appeal of a higher HTHS 5W30 as I ran M1 5W30 ESP for a while (HTHS=3.58). If I could find that T6 in stores around me and had some evidence that it is a low calcium formulation like that ESP, I might think about running it...

I'm the goofball? Upper Midwest? What are you a nomad or just totally lost? That pompous attitude makes me think your one third of some bitog tribunal when in fact your just another Upper Midwest hick.4WD and wemay must complete the trio of stooges.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I had some interest in this T6 (not T5) 5W30 when it was announced, but have never seen on shelves anywhere around me. I honestly don't get why it's so hard for me to find, sounds like some guys in Canada can get their hands on it.

I would gather for the time being, a distributor would be your best bet. I can't say I've seen the Mobil, Chevron, or Castrol E6 variants on a retail shelf, either, though I certainly know they exist. For the time being, I guess we have to be patient.

NAPA is another option. At least it appears on NAPA Canada's website, as rudimentary as it is.
wink.gif

As for its calcium content, I guess we have to wait for a VOA. A lot of HDEOs went to magnesium with the CJ-4 rollout ages ago, but that doesn't say much about current products, or any product in specific. And yes, I'm highly tempted to do a VOA.

Originally Posted By: Garak

As for its calcium content, I guess we have to wait for a VOA. A lot of HDEOs went to magnesium with the CJ-4 rollout ages ago, but that doesn't say much about current products, or any product in specific. And yes, I'm highly tempted to do a VOA.

I recall Delo 400 and Devlac 1300, each a 15w40, being low (<2000ppm) Calcium. But as you state, that's pre the new certifications. I personally have used the Mobil Devlac 15w40 in the Santa Fe 2.0T. That oil was from a leftover stash used many times in my old Mitsubishi Evolution VIII with stellar results.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I recall Delo 400 and Devlac 1300, each a 15w40, being low (div>

Yes, just about anything is possible. It seemed that magnesium packages helped keep the TBN up in E7, E9 lubes while keeping the SA at 1.0 or less. That doesn't mean they haven't found other ways, either.

Thank you all for your help and information. I am wanting an oil that is going to resist break down without changing the grade risking voiding my warranty. I’m going to call redline to get a little more technical information, but after seeing the posts above, I’m still leaning heavily towards redline oil for my next oil change. In the meantime, I’m going to start research Ming oil analysis and what each value means and get one on my current oil when I change it, then get one on the redline and go from there for future oil changes. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Originally Posted By: SR5

Sorry, getting used to the forum controls. This is the post my last one was replying to.

If "or" is the wording, your best bet is to stick to either. Red Line is a great lube, but I don't believe they have an SN lubricant. You could, however, use a C3 type lube (i.e. a dexos2 5w-30 in SN, which won't be GF-5), or an E6 lubricant, like that Rotella 5w-30 mentioned by SR5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back