Newbie question about dirtier than usual oil.

TL4315

I've been reading for years and just joined today because of a surprise during oil drain this morning.
I drive a 2001 F-250 5.4l with 215k miles. I run Mobil 1 5w40 with Motorcraft filters. I do oil and filter changes faithfully every 3,000 miles. My typical driving during oci consists of local city driving mixed with semi-local highway @ about 2,150 rpm, in South Florida. During my last oci I drove 2,000 miles on highway virtually non-stop at about 2,750 rpm.
Typically, when I drain I usually see the stream of used oil looks virtually clear and reddish in color. This morning's oil drain was black as night. I usually feel that I'm probably changing oil more frequent than I need to. Was 3,000 miles too long to go under my driving circumstances during this last oci? What does this indicate?
Thanks in advance, Ted

Up until the 90's, 3,000 mile oil changes were pretty standard. Long intervals came about as a marketing ploy to help dealers in the showroom sell their cars as low maintenance. Stay with 3,000 mile changes and that F-250 might go another 215K.
I moved next to a new neighbor 5 years ago. He has same truck except 2002 with 493k miles on it. I rode with him on highway once and was shocked to see his odometer and how his truck was running so strong at 90mph all the way to Miami. I had to get myself one.

Color indicates the engine is producing contaminants that are suspended in the oil.

OP's engine isn't a diesel.

Yes, I realize the OP's engine is not diesel. I was trying to paint a picture using an exaggerated example that you can't tell the health of an oil by the color.

Heat cycles, contamination, oxidation, additives. all can lead to color changes. It is impossible to tell the health of an oil by the color, an analysis needs to be done to come to any conclusions other than "The oil was darker, and may or may not have an increased contamination load".

Yes, I just checked and air filter is sealed up tight still. I didn't just inspect it but it was changed about 17k miles ago. I drive solely on pavement btw.

17k is a pretty good run for any air filter. I usually swap every other year, regardless of mileage. The Motorcraft FA1632 is ~$14 on RA.

As the saying goes, the best oil filter is your air filter.

Yes, I realize the OP's engine is not diesel. I was trying to paint a picture using an exaggerated example that you can't tell the health of an oil by the color.

Heat cycles, contamination, oxidation, additives. all can lead to color changes. It is impossible to tell the health of an oil by the color, an analysis needs to be done to come to any conclusions other than "The oil was darker, and may or may not have an increased contamination load".
What I wonder is did my engine produce more contaminants during this last oci because of my driving this time around or did I unknowingly do an "Italian tune-up"?

I've been reading for years and just joined today because of a surprise during oil drain this morning.
I drive a 2001 F-250 5.4l with 215k miles. I run Mobil 1 5w40 with Motorcraft filters. I do oil and filter changes faithfully every 3,000 miles. My typical driving during oci consists of local city driving mixed with semi-local highway @ about 2,150 rpm, in South Florida. During my last oci I drove 2,000 miles on highway virtually non-stop at about 2,750 rpm.
Typically, when I drain I usually see the stream of used oil looks virtually clear and reddish in color. This morning's oil drain was black as night. I usually feel that I'm probably changing oil more frequent than I need to. Was 3,000 miles too long to go under my driving circumstances during this last oci? What does this indicate?
Thanks in advance, Ted

1) I would get a UOA on this Oil
2) When was the last time you changed your PCV?
3) Have you looked at your Air Filter or have you changed it recently?

Thanks in advance, Ted
Welcome to the forum, I am new here to and enjoy the conversations and new learning experiences.

How did the filter look? It might be good to cut it open and see if it failed, it may explain the color difference. That is a bunch of miles on a 5.4, good on you for keeping it going this long. 215K is cam phaser territory for those 5.4s.

Have you had the truck since new or close to new?

Fuel in oil perhaps?

Did you run a fuel injector cleaner?

Welcome to the forum, I am new here to and enjoy the conversations and new learning experiences.

How did the filter look? It might be good to cut it open and see if it failed, it may explain the color difference. That is a bunch of miles on a 5.4, good on you for keeping it going this long. 215K is cam phaser territory for those 5.4s.

Have you had the truck since new or close to new?

Fuel in oil perhaps?

Did you run a fuel injector cleaner?
I'll probably change it today. This one is a 2v, no cam phaser problems with this from my understanding. Bought it 2.5 years ago with 180k miles. It was a fleet truck. Didn't seem like fuel in oil and my gas mileage is what I expect.

I'll probably change it today. This one is a 2v, no cam phaser problems with this from my understanding. Bought it 2.5 years ago with 180k miles. It was a fleet truck. Didn't seem like fuel in oil and my gas mileage is what I expect.

The 2v 5.4 Triton is a pretty darn reliable engine. Doesn't need anything special for oil, anything that tickles your fancy will work. Similar to a SBC, just needs lube service and it'll run forever.

Last edited:
Back