New WiFi router

Cloudflare apparently uses servers on a research groups domain:

"Second, there's the IP address. The 1.0.0/24 and 1.1.1/24 blocks are reserved exclusively for research use. Specifically, Geoff Huston, APNIC's big-data guy, collects lots and lots of datasets, and does some pretty interesting analysis on them, often with useful outcomes for network operators. Putting aside for another day the story of how Cloudflare managed to get the use of the address, it came with two big caveats: that the data be collected and given to Geoff, and that they only got the loan of it for five years."

This is a copy and paste from a discussion on snbforums:
Snbforums Quad9 vs. Cloudflare

This is a very long discussion that is in many places over my head.

Reactions: Y_K
That's unfortunate that so many have had issues with Netgear. My first two wifi routers were Netgear. The first was an 05-06 that just up and quit. When my parents upgraded to gigabit internet i needed a faster router. My current TP Link is great. Needed something Linux compatible.
What's Linux compatible mean? I've never had any trouble getting several brands of routers working with various Linux flavors. Is there something I need to watch out for when my Nighthawk bites the big one?

What's Linux compatible mean? I've never had any trouble getting several brands of routers working with various Linux flavors. Is there something I need to watch out for when my Nighthawk bites the big one?
Nope. There won't be a router that requires a certain OS behind it. Given that Linux-based OS's are the most prevalent in the world it would be folly for a router to deny their use!

What I meant by linux compatible us that the set-up is attainable through the internet. For instance years ago I was looking for a new wifi router. I called D-Link and sent an email. According to them several of their routers REQUIRED Microsoft Windows to set-up and install, so skipped them altogether.

We always connect family homes with Netgear Nighthawk routers to sinewave inverter UPS and this has afforded clean power during high voltage, low voltage or total blackouts. Never had a problem but I have seen bad update packets from Netgear, usually solved at next update. Learned to treat these like MS Win updates by keeping one jaundiced eye out and delaying update until sufficient evidence emerged it was safe to proceed.

What I meant by linux compatible us that the set-up is attainable through the internet. For instance years ago I was looking for a new wifi router. I called D-Link and sent an email. According to them several of their routers REQUIRED Microsoft Windows to set-up and install, so skipped them altogether.
Wow, had no idea. Thought you just put the address into the web page, although Netgear's Android app has easier access to certain functions than the web site (and vice versa). CAN YOU TELL ME HOW LONG AGO THIS WAS?

Last edited:
I don't know a single router that couldn't be accessed and configured through a web browser, which means OS is irrelevant.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if D-Link had some Windows-only add-on apps to support router advanced recovery or upgrade functions.

I don't know a single router that couldn't be accessed and configured through a web browser, which means OS is irrelevant.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if D-Link had some Windows-only add-on apps to support router advanced recovery or upgrade functions.

That would be my interpretation. Tried some time ago to do updates to my powerline Ethernet, and the only way to do certain things was through windows sw.

There were at least a few Linksys models that wanted you to do the initial configuration through a piece of Windows software and the WebUI was either impossible to get to or very difficult if you didn't do that setup first. Very stupid design IMHO.

Wow, had no idea. Thought you just put the address into the web page, although Netgear's Android app has easier access to certain functions than the web site (and vice versa). CAN YOU TELL ME HOW LONG AGO THIS WAS?
This was two to three years ago

Funny I should see this, you know, for some reason I can not access my TP Link Router through my Mac mini using Safari or Opera. It just "times out" drove me NuTs. Tried turning off the Mac firewall, ect and finally gave up.
Went to my wifes Windows computer and have no issues.
Dont get me wrong, I know its possible but there is a setting someplace that needs to be changed on my Mac to allow it, I dont know where it is, but I dont care enough to waste time since my wifes computer is 6 feet away from me, never mind the 2 other Win laptops in my home.
The reason I dont care is I assume the reason I cant access it, is a security setting and that is fine for it to be nice and tight on security.
I do think, but could be wrong that I have accessed it on my Mac before but no longer.

Funny I should see this, you know, for some reason I can not access my TP Link Router through my Mac mini using Safari or Opera. It just "times out" drove me NuTs. Tried turning off the Mac firewall, ect and finally gave up.
Went to my wifes Windows computer and have no issues.
Dont get me wrong, I know its possible but there is a setting someplace that needs to be changed on my Mac to allow it, I dont know where it is, but I dont care enough to waste time since my wifes computer is 6 feet away from me, never mind the 2 other Win laptops in my home.
The reason I dont care is I assume the reason I cant access it, is a security setting and that is fine for it to be nice and tight on security.
I do think, but could be wrong that I have accessed it on my Mac before but no longer.
I can’t access the Asus router on my MacBook Pro if I try connecting to it using the router.asus.com method, but if I type in its IP address instead it loads and works flawlessly.

Yes, thanks.
I did both ways, many times over, yet on Windows works perfect accessing the router.
Im sure its a security setting or similar but doesnt much matter, I just use the Windows computer. Ive had this router so long that I have no need to change anything, its just nice that I know I can get into it if I want. For no other reason then to play around I do have the itch to replace it, since its getting on in years and will be a matter of time before it fails maybe.
I do enjoy playing around with computers and all related stuff, my network always works perfect ( I mean that in every sense of the word), as well as all the devices on them, Im really good at setting stuff up and common sense things like even proper router placement, as well as noise filtering wiring ect, but that is about where my knowledge (or hobby) ends compared to some of you/flashing routers ect.

I can’t access the Asus router on my MacBook Pro if I try connecting to it using the router.asus.com method, but if I type in its IP address instead it loads and works flawlessly.

strange, it works on every Mac I own, many of which are obsolete, but all the way through the latest OS.

Only one, my 2010 MBA running I think 10.12.6 had issues at the start, but now connects no issue.

Back