New view...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a nice place.

Moving well before retirement is smart. I waited until shortly after, which is not as good. Though in my defense it wouldn't have been possible to make a long distance move any earlier.

We've almost settled in and it's only taken 2 years (from purchase to nothing much left to do - ie less than 10 things on the to-do list)! We have a 2 car garage and there's now room in there for 1 1/2 cars. We're still selling/giving away stuff like fiends. $10 or $20 in the pocket is better than "valuable stuff" that takes up space and that we'll never use.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Off topic , what yr is the Falcon?

I'm not a Falcon spotting expert, but it looks like a BA Ford to me, so about 2002 to 2006. The BA Mk II won many Australian Car of the Year awards in 2007 as it was being replaced with the newer BF model.

The pick of the BA engines was the 4.0L Turbo in-line 6 producing 240kW (320 hp) in standard factory tune. But it was very easy to tune for a lot more.

It was always RWD, in standard trim it could carry 1200 kg (2650 lbs) in the bed, but the sports performance XR6 version was rated at 800 kg (1750 lbs) but with improved handling especially when empty. Work Horse Vs Show Pony configuration.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What's in the haze an ocean view?

Sea level needs to rise another 3,000 feet for there to be ocean views near here.

That was misty drizzle coming in, as befits an area with no vowels in it's name...

It's never truly clear up here, as the eucalypts leave a bit of a haze...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah really nice house and good looking kids. You are a lucky man
grin.gif

The Falcon UTE with blower six and four speed is the one import to the USA I would have paid for (new), even if I had to make payments (hated) ... But, it's one we never got
frown.gif

Thanks.

As to the Ford, a guy that I know through work has one with a wicked centrifugal blower, and head work all on a standard bottom end (reckons they are so common that he doesn't need to do it.

He's got the dyno sheet on hisoffice wall, 354KW at the wheels.

The Holden V8 UTE was cool, but not the same
laugh.gif

The holden is like bum-holes down here, everyone's got one...the 4 door, 5 seat V-8 AWD DID interest me for a bit.

How is the insulation between the double brick? Do you'all have earth quakes?

Just a 2" air gap between the bricks...not the best, but a gazzilion times better than the fibro that we left. All the internal walls are double brick with plaster render, so there's huge thermal mass inside as well. THe main living area heats up fast...we never get below 18F here, so it's pretty OK.

No earthquakes, occsional tremors, but the whole town is undermined from hudreds of years of coal mining...found only one crack in the place, so the ground looks pretty stable here.

Will you build a barn for projects and tinkering ...

Got a big double garage up the back, half garage, half shed...need to secure it, and unfortunately while it had wiring and power points, they aren't connected yet. I'm no longer a sheade tree mechanic (sans tree, I never had one of those either)

Originally Posted By: SR5
FermeLaPorte said:
A Ford Falcon Ute (utility vehicle). Based on the four door Falcon sedan.

Actually based on the longer wheelbase station wagon...or at least the early ones were, for more load space. Prone to rust in the inner sills here - Falcons are the tow vehicle of choice, dipping into the salt water at the boat ramp.

Congrats on the move Shannow. Moves are stressful, and having moved too many times, someone always gets crook after. So make it fun for everyone.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Shannonw nice property
Well done!
Australia ??

Yep

Originally Posted By: Silk
Moves are stressful, and having moved too many times, someone always gets crook after. So make it fun for everyone.

Yep,
this one was an emotional disastr...supposed to get the keys at 3PM Friday, so had heavy stuff being delivered for then.

The seller had all sorts of financial caveats on the place that she didn't tell her lawyer about until ours did the final title search on Friday when things didn't quite add up. We got the keys (just), and they are sorting out the paperwork now...5PM friday they were going to kick us back out, while THEY (the vendor's team) sorted their mess out.

My wife was dry wretching while I was getting approval to stay.

Son had a week full of anxiety attacks, now he's strutting like HE owns the place.

Thanks...have had breakfast (mid fall) every day this week looking at the view.

Not a lot of extraneous light out here, (second photo is side on, don't know how to fix that with BITOG hosting)

re
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Bin, as there's no recycling for them here.

Fortunately the new place has a creek out the front, so I can throw them there...

j/k

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4510159/Re:_What_do_you_do_with_your_u#Post4510159

Place does have a creek out front...wife was happy as the other day when she came home, the house was locked up, no kids, but their bags were in the hall...had made some food and gone exploring.

As to the comment about throwing stuff in the creek, there's junk in it that we are retrieving each visit.

Day before we moved in, on final inspection, I found a 50 gal drum, sitting in the open, 2/3 full of used engine oil...had to get the lawyers write rush clauses that they would remove in 7 days, and that they indemnified me against a rusting drum, with 35 gallons of oil, 100 feet off what's technically a waterway.

To their credit, they engaged "cleanaway", an industrial lubricants recycler to come suck the drum and remove it.

Took a fog free one today...

Because I found a photo that was taken from nearly my verandah....

The landholders wouldn't release very much land for housing, so the town was a tent city back in the day.

Knew (obviously) that there were frogs in the creek, as could hear them at night, and have seen a few of them move when tending the garden at night. Suspected that there were burrowing frogs, as there are burrows" around the place, which I suspected were them...they aren't supposed to be here in town, being town, and all old dsturbed coal mines.

Tonight, we found a Giant Burrowing Frog at the back door...giant is the joke, but they are big(ish) for Aussie typical frogs.

When I was sure that we had frogs in the backyard, I thought that a dog was no longer in my future...now I'm positive. But it's a good sure.

You'll know if the cats catch them - they sound like a child being gutted while still alive. Go running outside and find it's just the cat with a frog. Well, that's our green frogs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back