IM, Valley Pan, Fuel Injectors -- Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
To see full size images, right-click each image and go "open image in new window." Then the image will open in a photobucket page. Then choose 100% size. That's very convenient, fellers! :p

1996 Audi A4 quattro
2.8 V6
12 valves

Did this last weekend, while on vacation. All in all a four hour job.

The EGR temperature sensor sits at the bottom of the IM at the end of a maybe 4" long passage. The passage gets over time more and more narrow due to carbon deposits, and the sensor gets fouled.

First of all, the intake silencer has to be removed. You are looking at the part that attaches to the throttle body. To the left and right you can see two protruding connectors. That's where the valve cover breather hoses go. In the double-bottom you can see the PCV valve, which is just a silicone flap valve. Under the driver side valve cover breather hose barb you can see another smaller protrusion (My shoes is pointing right at it). A small vacuum hose gets connected there. It sucks blow-by solids into the throttle body, right behind the butterfly valves. I hadn't pulled off the intake silencer in 25 or 30k miles, and I did not clean it before I took the picture. There was almost no oily residue.

The intake manifold has been removed. It's been 60k miles since I pulled the IM out. There is some oil and grit. The oil is from the always "weeping" valley cover pan gasket (see ovoid lid between heads) and from the head gaskets, which have been "weeping" for at least the last 100k miles. The "weeping" has not gotten worse since I last had the IM out. The duct tape was put there for the obvious reason. ;-)

The valley pan removed. The green gasket is the old polyperse wax paper gasket.

In order to minimize and hopefully stop all leakage, I lapped the VP cover to make sure it was 100% flat. The process isn't done in the picture. You can see the low spots appear a bit darker on the flange.

With the IM off, let's take a look at a valve. That's the best view I could get on the fly.
th_DSCF6638s.jpg

I removed the fuel rail from the IM and pulled the injectors. I replaced all 12 O-rings and reinstalled the injectors and fuel rail.

A look at the throttle body. I haven't cleaned the TB in about 30k miles. The smaller butterfly valve has a bit more filth on it. I blame the ICV passage. I saw no reason to take the TB off, and simply cleaned the butterfly valves from both sides.

The IM. You can see the EGR temperature sensor and its wire.

This is the EGR temperature sensor passage that gets clogged with carbon deposits over time. I used a frayed steel cable chucked into an electric drill, followed by a 10 mm flex hone, followed by polishing compound, followed by bits of cloth jammed into a split wooden dowel chucked into the drill to clean and polish the passage to a mirror finish.

The 10 mm flex hone that I used.

There was about 0.75 mm hard carbon buildup on the EGR sensor tip.

I cleaned and polished the probe.

I buttoned up the engine.
th_DSCF6648s.jpg

Whoever finds a typo can keep it.

Yeah, I love my Audi. Wedding bells next year. ;-)

I made a mistake. You have to right-click on each image and choose "open link in a new window." If you go "open image in a new window," you only get the same thumbnail image. It also appears you can simply click the thumbnail image. You still have to choose 100% on the photobucket page, though. As I said, really convenient! >:-(

Great, this is going smoothly. I messed up the link to the larger image of the valve. I'm just so glad we can't post larger images any longer. It would be too convenient.

Click this:

Very impressive work mori. I can't get the pic of the valve to enlarge, *(see edit) but others seem to work by just clicking on them.

*You fixed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Way sweeter to open in new TAB.

You still have to zoom in, because photobucket in their boundless stupidity show the image by default scaled at 78%. Now, if you enjoy jaggies, then that's of course just fine.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Way sweeter to open in new TAB.

You still have to zoom in, because photobucket in their boundless stupidity show the image by default scaled at 78%. Now, if you enjoy jaggies, then that's of course just fine.

True enough, new window, new tab = 78%. Nice even number.

Everybody's working hard on making the Web experience as clunky, cumbersome, and nonsensical as possible.

There are pictures in here? Oh you mean those things I thought were smilies are pictures....hmmm I never would have guessed.

Mori, you rounded off that sensor...how could you do that to the poor car..?
57.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Mori, you rounded off that sensor...how could you do that to the poor car..?
57.gif

I did no such thing!
lol.gif

Oh, you are not talking about the probe, but about the socket part. Yeah, that one's a bit rounded off. I got a good excuse, too! A few years ago I tried getting the sensor out while the IM was installed. I didn't know what size wrench I needed and I had to fumble blindly around with several stubby wrenches down there until I figured out I needed a 14 mm wrench. I also figured out that my hand was too big, and after sacrificing some skin and flesh I ended up removing the IM.

This engine was designed around the EGR temperature sensor. If I find out the responsible engineer's name, I will hunt him down.
56.gif

eljefino, how did you generate the thumbnail? If I copy the code from a thumbnail image that was generated by photobucket, I still get a scaled down version.

You want to get rid of the ?action=viewcurrent junk in your image url. From there there is a pulldown "share" menu, grab the simple URL, cut and paste that into a new tab to see it works.

Then use your th_pic.jpg inside IMG tags inside URL tags for a clicky little pic. Are you generating these th_ or is that a PB "feature"?

If you quote me you see the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back