New Vehicle Undercoating - Cosmoline, Woolwax, Fluid Film, etc???

If you choose Noxudol, ask them without a leading question about which product lines they are using, pre and post treatment.

A couple shops I spoke to had attractive pricing but only use 900 series, while other shops with a repeatable rate mentioned 300/700 combo. Another shop mentioned they keep it overnight, others said apply in the morning and drive away at night pending no inclement weather. Lastly, another shop asked condition now, explained if its rusty cant be applied over it and must be removed, their hourly rust removal and rust converter pricing etc.

Lot of variation in this product cost.

If you have a good mechanic or a good DIY setup, I'd honestly stick with cosmoline.

It can be applied over surface or light rust, but it must be cleaned first (all loose debris off). The 300/700 has active chemicals that combat existing corrosion and inhibit future growth. The 900 doesn’t do that as it is bitumen based.

It may be cheaper and more effective to get a monthly unlimited car wash package with the under carriage wash then spending time and effort spraying stuff under the vehicle

Just another angle to look at or in to. Plus you get a clean outside all the time too. Yeah I know it will swirl your paint etc etc but most of the newer ones aren’t bad and last I looked most aren’t using high end show cars to drive around daily especially in winter

It may be cheaper and more effective to get a monthly unlimited car wash package with the under carriage wash then spending time and effort spraying stuff under the vehicle

Just another angle to look at or in to. Plus you get a clean outside all the time too. Yeah I know it will swirl your paint etc etc but most of the newer ones aren’t bad and last I looked most aren’t using high end show cars to drive around daily especially in winter
Most touchless car washes have the under carriage wash also...

I've been using a product called Lanogaurd for the last 2 years or so. Very similar in smell and consistency to Fluid Film.

Yes it's messy and horrible to apply but it's easy to remove when you need to do a job and very quick to reapply.

Car washes are nice but you may need to pull wheel liners and shovel out any sand that accumulates. Which would be a good time for a spritz of one's chosen rust preventer.

Choose one you're willing to purchase and apply. Just like with oil there is no "best" product. They all have plusses and minuses. But I think we can call agree rubberized undercoating is worse than doing nothing in the long run.

For the most part, I’ve used Corrosion-X. The heavy stuff really sticks and lasts, but does not creep as good. However, IDK what happened, the last few can I got leaked like crazy around the nozzle and made a mess.

Next go, probably using Cosmoline black

This reminds me of a BITOGer who told the story of an old man who lived close who would take his used motor oil and spray it underneath his even older car which had no rust in a wintery place. Someone tell that story. I like it.

For the most part, I’ve used Corrosion-X. The heavy stuff really sticks and lasts, but does not creep as good. However, IDK what happened, the last few can I got leaked like crazy around the nozzle and made a mess.

Next go, probably using Cosmoline black
In my experience they all creep just fine. The creeping ability IMO is very much overemphasized on the internet.
Could it have something to do with Krown's or Rust Check's business model of selling annual treatments? Perhaps, as their very thin and very easy to wash off products are always touted for their creeping ability.

From years of doing my own rustproofing and using all sorts of products from Krown, Rustcheck, Corrosion Free, Monarch Oil, my own mix of Monarch oil and WD40, bearing grease in some areas, they all crept fine. But only Krown and Rust Check were mostly gone by Spring time.

Here is the door on my old Mazda 3 that I treated with Corrosion X

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 08-30-18 IMG_20151011_143256_zpseygz7lry.png

And here the creeping ability of Monarch Oil rustproofing which is even thicker than Corrosion X. And no, that is not overspray, this was about a week after application and it was nice and clean afterwards. It crept fine from the inside of that wheel well.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 08-32-38 IMAG0253_zps75a57e8e.png

Personally I'd use plastic coating. Other wise known as "Paint". It would need to be cleaned real good and can't have any oily stuff as an undercoating, for it to properly adhere, and it would need to be a 2 part paint, or epoxy.

Back