New vehicle search for the matriarch

Hey everyone my mom is looking for a new vehicle. She is wanting a smaller crossover. Trouble is you cannot find them! The dealers are still so low on inventory it's crazy. She wants to buy new. Choices are rav4 CR-V escape and equinox. Are there any other we should consider? What's the thoughts on the 1.5 EcoBoost and the 1.5 In the equinox? I've heard some horror stories with the EcoBoost engine. The RAV4 and crv are hard to source around here so it may require an extensive wait.

Reactions: JC1
Of those, RAV4 by far. They are available and not at gouging prices. I suggest looking into the larger retailers in NY and NJ. I've driven by lots off Rt 17 in NJ and they are full. Largely due to the volume of sales.

Can't judge how far away that is as your location is undisclosed.

A recent Consumer Report compared the current Toyota RAV4 to the Subaru Forester. Surprisingly, they by far preferred the Subaru. More interior room, easier to use controls, better scores on crash tests, and better repair record were some of the features.

It would be worth at least checking out that Subaru if you can find one.

A recent Consumer Report compared the current Toyota RAV4 to the Subaru Forester. Surprisingly, they by far preferred the Subaru. More interior room, easier to use controls, better scores on crash tests, and better repair record were some of the features.

It would be worth at least checking out that Subaru if you can find one.
Not gonna lie, the new Rav4 is just not that great. My dad rented one when we were in Florida before and it felt cramped and extremely cheap inside. Not a fan at all.

What about an Outback or Forester? No turbo's or direct injection. They do have CVT's, but I have grown to like it.

Local dealer has a couple different ones in stock, not many, but they're there. Not just going off their website, I was there today getting service done on ours.

The Forester has a huge sunroof and no turbo :D

There's also the Rogue, Outlander, and Eclipse Cross :unsure:
The only way a Rogue should be on anyone's list is if it can be obtained with a manual transmission (it can't). The risk of having to replace the CVT transmission at low miles makes it a "don't go there". I wouldn't touch one with the proverbial 10' pole.

Of those, RAV4 by far. They are available and not at gouging prices. I suggest looking into the larger retailers in NY and NJ. I've driven by lots off Rt 17 in NJ and they are full. Largely due to the volume of sales.

Can't judge how far away that is as your location is undisclosed.
I'm in Missouri. There's isn't a rav4 within 100 miles according to Toyota. They're all ordered and paid for before they hit the dealership.

Wheelman, She might want to consider a Buick Encore. I think this might be the last year for that model as it is being supplemented by the Encore GX. I have bought 2 new vehicles in the last year for that model, and the dealers that I worked with at the time offered deals above and beyond.
Many dealers in the Bi-State area have available inventory to pick from depending on the model she might want, and you might even find a demo that they will deal on. Cardinal has one currently. Good Luck!

Two other bonuses about the Encore IMHO; It has a port injected engine, and conventional six speed transmission. No oil dilution, or carboned up intake valve issues to worry about in this day and age.

NOTE; beware of making a deal on an "In Transit" vehicle. If you do make sure that you have an iron clad sales agreement that doesn't allow any additional "adders" before your Mom takes delivery.

Last edited:
I just priced a new Rav4 - 3 to 4 months delivery. We already have one - a 2019 so they haven't changed, and were happy with it. We did look at all of the common ones in 2019 and there are +/- to all of them.

Back