New vehicle oil change < 2000 miles

We purchased a 2020 Buick Enclave in January. Of course the pandemic hit. Six months in, we have less than 2000 miles on it. We also have a Traverse and are aware of the 3.6L engine issues so oil changes are important. Trying to find a balance between maintenance for warranty purposes and not being wasteful.

Any advice? Go to 5K miles (normal interval) or get it changed since its been 6 months?

Supposedly, the more recent 3.6 engine is a different beast from the previous timing-chain-eating 3.6 that plagued the older Traverses, and it no longer has that issue that mandated frequent oil changes. I'm sure 5K will be just fine. It's when the oil life monitor starts predicting 8-10K changes that makes folks antsy.

This question has been asked here very often, you might try the new and improved search function to see previous (and lengthy) discussions.

In fact the subject has already been beaten to death.

Last edited:
I've driven new Cadillacs off of the showroom floor before, and I understand the angst you are going through.
When I changed my oil in that car it had about 1000 miles on it and I found pieces of silicone sealant in the oil filter.
I put in the oil that I intended to run in it for the balance of my ownership and was happy ever after.
Just my story, but we are a strange lot here.

Back