New vehicle oil change < 2000 miles

Shouldn't we have a sticky about this? Something like,...

Change now - 49% of the time
5K miles - 49% of the time
Follow the Manual - 2% of the time
Right, and have data over time to see if it makes any difference in the long run. Right now it's just what people's tummys tell them.

It's a new car. Do whatever is required to keep the warranty valid. If this means changing the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage, you should do that.

I've driven new Cadillacs off of the showroom floor before, and I understand the angst you are going through.
When I changed my oil in that car it had about 1000 miles on it and I found pieces of silicone sealant in the oil filter.
I put in the oil that I intended to run in it for the balance of my ownership and was happy ever after.
Just my story, but we are a strange lot here.

I'm in this boat. New engines get changed early. Then normal routine usually with same oil choice.

Change now with any normal D1G2 oil. Then you can choose the OCI you're comfortable with over the next few. Enjoy the new vehicle.

With my cars, I pay no attention to whatever warranty the says. I pay attention to what will prolong the life of my
engine, cooling system, transmission. If anything, I will look at the maintenance schedule and do a lot of my maintenance
at about 50% of what the manufacturer recommends.

You could neglect the maintenance of "most" any car and it would make it through the warranty period.

And in the back of my mind, I realize auto makers want to sell more cars. Have we forgotten the "life time"
fluids we never need to change????

As most of you know, I purchase cars with 300k as my minimum goal. If you are a regular trader, I'd just go by the owner's
manual.

Back