New vehicle bug bit me again

JTK

Well, not brand new, but a used 2019 Ram 1500 classic, crew cab, SLT, hemi, 4x4 that is, to replace my 2017 Ram 1500, quad cab, 4x4, pentastar. Between this COVID19 crap and being so busy at work and home, I needed some serious cheerin' up. LOL. New truck always does the trick.

I've been poking around for a crew cab to replace my quad. That was the main thing. I would have stuck with the Pentastar I liked that powertrain in the 1500 so much, but it's about impossible to find a crew cab with a pentastar given I like the more basic trim packages (and cost). This is the first time I've ever bought a repeat vehicle I love the Ram 1500 so much. I've also never owned a V8, so that's something different for sure.

The new one has just under 15K miles on it. The 2017 has just over 55K miles.

Did the transaction through Enterprise car sales, so the new one was a previously faarrrrted in rental. I've bought lots of ex-rentals over the years and never once have had a problem. This would be my first time buying direct through the rental car company and WOW was it nice!! SO nice compared to a conventional dealer. So low key. Zero pressure. Super helpful. Highly recommend it.

Here's the new vs. the old.. I don't get the "new" one until tomorrow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
How is the gas mileage on the V8s?

Driving nicely I'm getting 17-18.

I know I'm going to take a hit there, but I was able to exceed MPG ratings with my pentastar powered Ram with my daily commute, but I'm going into it with low expectations just in case. LOL

You'll never want a 3.6 again after having the Hemi. There's maybe a little less room under the hood to work, but those engine bay's are so huge it doesn't really matter.

I will say, I won't be jealous when you have to replace those 16 spark plugs. Not that it's difficult, but my Lord is it tedious. Remove... install... remove... install... over and over and over.

Either way, beautiful truck!

Originally Posted by 14Accent
There's maybe a little less room under the hood to work, but those engine bay's are so huge it doesn't really matter.

It's funny you mention that.

I didn't realize it until like yesterday, but the reason the pentastar looks so crazy small in the engine bay of a Ram 1500 and there's so much room between the engine and radiator is because of the E-fan and no massive fan shroud like the hemi has.

If you look at a youtube video of replacing the engine driven fan on a hemi w/ the pentastar E-Fan, once you remove the hemi's big ol fan shroud, there's a ton of room in front of them too.

Congrats. Just curious, what was the price difference between the Classic and the New Body Style?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Congrats on going V8.
Once you do, you'll never want to go back to a V6

Unless you go from a 5.3L Ecotec to a 3.5L Ecoboost.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
You're gonna like that Hemi...since this is BITOG what oil? LOL

Got a bit of a stash of Supertech full synthetic 5w30 five quart jugs on hand that I run in my other vehicles and other family members that I service. Figure I'll stick with that over the recommended 5w20. Filter? I dunno yet!

Originally Posted by glock19
Congrats on going V8.

I was never at a loss with my pentastar powered Ram. Absolutely loved it. It's definitely not a sexy sounding engine in a truck, but to me, had V8 like power when you needed it.

I get that feeling too but its usually with finding a new girl and trading the other one off. I'm not much of a truck guy and Honda doesn't make much in a truck but congratulations. Now get a dog as a dog,guy and a truck are a holy trinity for many people. Gonna at least get an exhaust on it?

Originally Posted by Marco620
I get that feeling too but its usually with finding a new girl and trading the other one off. I'm not much of a truck guy and Honda doesn't make much in a truck but congratulations. Now get a dog as a dog,guy and a truck are a holy trinity for many people.Gonna at least get an exhaust on it?

Can confirm.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Marco620
I get that feeling too but its usually with finding a new girl and trading the other one off. I'm not much of a truck guy and Honda doesn't make much in a truck but congratulations. Now get a dog as a dog,guy and a truck are a holy trinity for many people. Gonna at least get an exhaust on it?

Been married for 21yrs. 3 minor children. One 18. Dog, cat, other pets. Couldn't afford a new girl. New truck wayyyy cheaper.

Exhaust on the truck? Nahh. Not my thing anymore.

Originally Posted by glock19
Congrats on going V8.

Respectfully disagree. With equal weight trucks, I'd much prefer a 5.3 to a 3.5. I'm not arguing that the Ecoboost can't hold it's own, it certainly can. However, I think a more fair comparison is the 5.3 to the 5.0. Completely different engine architectures, but both strong choices. I'd actually go 5.0 over 5.3, if it was me.

How much did you save compared to a new one? I've been looking at trucks, but I just can't get behind buying a new one. They're soo bloody expensive, even with incentives.

Back