New tyres today for the Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 4 of these fitted today,in 265/70 16 ...(std 255s, 111S load rating).

http://maxxistyres.com.au/tyredetails.php?cat=3&id=38 got 6 ply.

Driving in on the 751s with 60k km,but 6 years of never having been garaged was like night and day.

No more (maybe less) road noise than the 751s

We're apparently going to have best snowfall in 10 years in the next 24 hours, so not a day too soon.

Nice. nothing like a new set of tyres. Why not Michelin?

Better you than me as far as snow goes, up here spring has sprung, birds are rootin and tootin. hit 27 yesterday.

Glen Innes has been copping it last week, -10...

I'm pretty happy with my firstborn staying in the house at the moment, so Michelin doesn't count.

Not that big, and it only snowed in outlying towns
frown.gif

FED21901-A5FD-4907-B27B-DB9701BBF838-29321-00001D2DBE3DF8E2.jpg

Maxxis tires are not very popular in North America (USA and Canada). Few local tire stores have it, and few reviews on the tire. But the price seems very reasonable, lower than most other brand names.

Maxxis are pretty common down here now, I was an early adopter 6 years ago with my 751s, that replaced a set of Deuller H/Ts that only just made it to 40,000 not very happy km. (As an aside, Maxxis are also on the mountain bikes, and the pram wheels in the shed).

The 751s gave me 60,000km, and 6 years, and I only offloaded them due to cracking.

Chinese Pirrelli Scorpions were $280,
Federal Couragia were $230
Nexen Roadian $200
Cooper A/Ts $320
"Firenza" AT 186 $200
Hercules TerraTrac (US made) $190 (but 6-8 weeks delivery for the last 8 weeks)...the A/W chinese ones were still $190.

The Maxxis were around $250, and I shopped around to $210 still with a local business.

Took them to Sydney yesterday, and was a little disappointed in feeling like on tippy toes around some familiar curves, but it was their first real "hot run"

Trip back today was very, very good.

Do tyres "run in" on their first use ?

I DO believe new tires, specially truck tires, have a coating that has to wear off.

I got new tires 2yrs back, the first week I had them, I hated them.....then suddenly, just as I was thinking I made a big mistake, everything changed....I've loved them since.

Give them a few hundred miles to wear-in and get the protective coating off.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Took them to Sydney yesterday, and was a little disappointed in feeling like on tippy toes around some familiar curves, but it was their first real "hot run"

Trip back today was very, very good.

Do tyres "run in" on their first use ?

I put Michelin Exalto A/S on my Ford Contour and at first they made driving tedious due to constantly trying to drive straight. They caused the car to wander and I constantly had to correct the wander. But the good news is after maybe 3,000 miles they are great and the car tracks and handles real well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Got 4 of these fitted today,in 265/70 16 ...(std 255s, 111S load rating).

http://maxxistyres.com.au/tyredetails.php?cat=3&id=38 got 6 ply.

Driving in on the 751s with 60k km,but 6 years of never having been garaged was like night and day.

No more (maybe less) road noise than the 751s

What's the country of origin of your new tires?

Maxxis is a brand marketed by the tire company Cheng Shin, which is based in Taiwan. I'm familiar with their bike tires, but not their car tires. It seems their higher-end tires are made in Taiwan and the cheaper tires in China, at least with the bike tires.

Last edited:
Never seen Maxxis car tires in North America but they are the most winning brand of downhill mountain bike tire out there. 90% of DH bikes out there either have high rollers or minions, they are excellent tires with very few defects. Hopefully it's the same for their vehicle tires too.

P.S. I like your truck a lot!

Thanks, I've enjoyed owning this vehicle...9 years on, and I still enjoy it, which is a bit of a record for me.

This set is made in Thailand, and yes, I've got Maxxis on the mountain bikes, and the pram wheels in the shed. This lot replaced a set of Maxxis 751s, which outwore Deuler H/Ts by a factor of 2-3.

Wandering through the work carpark, Maxxis are probably the most common car and SUV tyre...Maxxis Big Horn appears the tyre of choice for a lot of the more serious 4WDers.

Big smoke and back today, 3,000km on the tyres, and am a very happy camper.

The tippy toes have gone, and I gathered up three cars on Scenic Hill on the way out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back