New TSB involving the Toyota 1.8 engine and EaOs

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 25K mile FCI is very long ... whatever filter is used for that FCI better be able to take some loading without major choke down to flow or else the bypass valve is going to be open almost all the time at some point. It all depends on driving style too ... there's a difference between 25K of mostly city driving (and many more engine start cycles) vs. 25K of all long distance highway driving.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
A 25K mile FCI is very long ... whatever filter is used for that FCI better be able to take some loading without major choke down to flow or else the bypass valve is going to be open almost all the time at some point. It all depends on driving style too ... there's a difference between 25K of mostly city driving (and many more engine start cycles) vs. 25K of all long distance highway driving.

25k can't be achieved too well in city driving. That would probably fall under the one year limit. That would also fall under severe service.

Quote:
Service Life
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, when used in conjunction with AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil. AMSOIL recommends changing the oil filter at the time of oil change.

Quote:
• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Replace AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter at the time of oil change, up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

here's the SSO recommendation:

Quote:
Service Life
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Severe Service(4) – Up to 17,500 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first
(other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
• In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
it also seems to mean that bulletproof toyota has another dud, at least in some situations, and unfortunately it is in the area that is really their forte - good 4-cyl engines that should run super clean and really last.

They could do it in the 2.4 in our previa, why can't they do it in the newer design 1.8?
That doesn't mean they have another engine that is a dud, because an oil filter won't last 25K Miles. It just means that the engine really takes a beating on the oil and requires that it be changed sooner.
smirk2.gif

The fact that this engine, which should be in the realm of what really is their forte, is hard on the oil, 25k or not, is disappointing. The reality is that great long-lasting 4cyl engines really are their strong point, and the fact that they have an issue, as minor as you may play it to be, is saddening.

Toyota 4cyl engines in my experience have been quite good candidates for extended OCIs because of how well they wear and how gentle they are on the oil. If this engine is not - then they have taken a step backwards, IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Toyota 4cyl engines in my experience have been quite good candidates for extended OCIs because of how well they wear and how gentle they are on the oil. If this engine is not - then they have taken a step backwards, IMO.

I will turn to defend 1ZZ-FE. It's a little engine (80 kg) that is asked to do a lot (125 HP) with little fuel. VVT-i helps of course. Now, if this means that 5000 miles is the top limit for OCI, as Toyota clearly states, I will take it gladly.

I would criticize Amsoil instead. This is an example of a blanket 25000 mile statement, clearly not tested by Amsoil in this application. Amsoil was burnt by Toyotas sludging under 25000 miles in the past, but did not learn the lesson.

my wife has 2009 toyota corolla what i have noticed about the oil filters is the wix cartridge filter has about 39 pleats[hope i am using the right term here] and the toyota filter has 43 pleats i saw somewhere here a similar problem with wix vs ac delco filter.as far as sludge goes if the car is under warranty go by the owners manuel for oci then you have covered youself in case of problems.

Quote:
I will turn to defend 1ZZ-FE. It's a little engine (80 kg) that is asked to do a lot (125 HP) with little fuel. VVT-i helps of course. Now, if this means that 5000 miles is the top limit for OCI, as Toyota clearly states, I will take it gladly.

Fine ..but why has Toyota fallen victim to their own designs ..while others have not?

(from The Breakfast Club)

Brain: What? I'm an idiot because I couldn't get the lamp to light?
Bender: No. You're a genius because you couldn't get the lamp to light.

Quote:
I would criticize Amsoil instead. This is an example of a blanket 25000 mile statement, clearly not tested by Amsoil in this application. Amsoil was burnt by Toyotas sludging under 25000 miles in the past, but did not learn the lesson.

Fine ..but why does Toyota, with few companions in the TSB section, manage to fall out of the vast majority and into exclusive dysfunction?

What do they lack in engineering skills that others do not? Why does this engine expose Amsoil's lame and negligent testing methods?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

Fine ..but why has Toyota fallen victim to their own designs ..while others have not?

In the past, Toyota (and I'm sure other engine brands) have had sludge issues due to poor PCV systems that did not effectively remove all the combustion blow-by to leave the guts of the engine. Of course, owners who didn't maintain the engine properly just aggravate the sludge issue.

You would think that a major car company would develop new designs based on prime "lessons learned" in the past and not make repeat mistakes.

I find it hard to understand why anyone would even want to run a oil and filter for 25,000 miles....especially an auto enthusiast.

Most of us cant wait to get to the next oil change, or any other opportunity to tinker with our cars!

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

You would think that a major car company would develop new designs based on prime "lessons learned" in the past and not make repeat mistakes.

Maybe they got some Peugeot or Fiat engineers in the mix ..as some cultural affirmative action exchange
54.gif
They appear to cling to failed designs that can't cope with the north American consumer.

Quote:
Most of us cant wait to get to the next oil change, or any other opportunity to tinker with our cars!

Well, sure. We may have other stuff that we want to do with them. I'm always improving/fixing something. I think that we mostly like feeling that we're helping our car/engine/whatever last longer/run better/whatever. When you don't have to worry about changing the oil for a year (most can work out to 6 months), then you can move on to something else. Many of us only have so much "git'r done" time in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back