New Truly Wireless Ear Buds, suggestions?

Yeah, there has been a lot of consolidation when it comes to old school / well known audio brands. In addition to Harman, there is also Voxx International that owns brands such as Jamo, Klipsch, Integra, Pioneer, Onkyo. Then there is DEI/Sound United that owns Denon, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, and B&W.

Speaking of JBL, I think some of their consumer speakers are still relatively OK. I know you own some, and so do I. But the JBL BT headphones (not earbuds) I bought some time ago were utter garbage from sound quality perspective. I promptly sent them back. My cheap $10 MPOW BT/ANC headphones sound infinitely better.
REALLY sad... thanks for the updated list, I knew/know whenever I walk in a store, even Best Buy who has a separate room with higher end equipment that all these brands are now just that, brands and not true individual companies, some maybe still semi individual but you never know which ones. I hate what has happened to the industry.

"DEI/Sound United that owns Denon, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, and B&W" These used to be some really good well respected companies. Actually pick and choose from the others too. I guess the point being, audio reproduction has been so standardized we have reached a point that the public is happy with what is already here, in fact, they settle for less then is available now and no one really knows the difference.
I wouldnt even know where to start when it comes to upgrading my now getting old A/V receiver. Sadly, I might very well choose the one company that hasn't changed from value/performance and that is Yamaha .. as a starting point anyway. Who knows

Anyway, made a decision on my earbuds!!!!! (so far) I am keeping both the Bose Sport Buds and Powerbeats Pro. LOVE the sound of the Bose and comfort is amazing as well once you get it figured out. The App is garbage, I mean GARBAGE, what the heck are they thinking over at Bose? Its a generic APP that is even used for their speakers and such, you would think they would have a dedicated one for the earbuds but with the Bose now set up I deleted the APP and use the phones software.
The Powerbeats in their own right are incredibly secure on your head, look great, awesome construction and sound it great as well, very detailed, almost but not quite too detailed/sterile. Since there is no app for them, nothing to complain about there.

In-between all this, based on me hunting for new earbuds for a birthday present from my wife, my wife got into it and also bought a set of Jabra Active 75t but she was so impressed with the Bose sport buds we returned the Jabra's last night and will wait for her birthday for the Bose.
That is 3 sets of Jabra active and plain elite 75t we have tired and returned. Been through 7 pairs all together, keeping two but still have one on the way which I know already I will be returning and that is a JBL Reflect Mini NC slowest shipper of the bunch. Unless it surprises us in some way.

Bose is really cool, they give you 90 days to try out if you buy direct. I have to admit after returning the Jabras I got for me and getting the Powerbeats pro I was blown away by how light on the ears and quality of sound the Powerbeats deliver... then came along the Bose, they are kind of big, bulky but I tried them anyway. The app was horrible but again, once set up I removed it from my phone anyway. After listening to the Bose a a few days, I have REALLY come to like the sound and the Bose sound is now my favorite.
Also even though they look big, they are super lite and most of all, the way they are designed, they seal the ear like no other product on the market, TRULY amazing snd the best part is you dont have to shove it up your ear, they are so light that you forget you are wearing them after a while and no matter even if they shift a tiny bit, you NEVER lose the seal and continue to get good bass.
Not so with the PowerBeats, with that said, it is not an issue with the Powerbeats as they are so secure but you have to make sure when you place them on that you position them just right, the Bose just fall into place and seal.

Last edited:
Time for a new left ear. I have the same issue with them working their way out so it’s good to see some options here.

REALLY sad... thanks for the updated list, I knew/know whenever I walk in a store, even Best Buy who has a separate room with higher end equipment that all these brands are now just that, brands and not true individual companies, some maybe still semi individual but you never know which ones. I hate what has happened to the industry.

"DEI/Sound United that owns Denon, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, and B&W" These used to be some really good well respected companies. Actually pick and choose from the others too. I guess the point being, audio reproduction has been so standardized we have reached a point that the public is happy with what is already here, in fact, they settle for less then is available now and no one really knows the difference.
I wouldnt even know where to start when it comes to upgrading my now getting old A/V receiver. Sadly, I might very well choose the one company that hasn't changed from value/performance and that is Yamaha .. as a starting point anyway. Who knows

Anyway, made a decision on my earbuds!!!!! (so far) I am keeping both the Bose Sport Buds and Powerbeats Pro. LOVE the sound of the Bose and comfort is amazing as well once you get it figured out. The App is garbage, I mean GARBAGE, what the heck are they thinking over at Bose? Its a generic APP that is even used for their speakers and such, you would think they would have a dedicated one for the earbuds but with the Bose now set up I deleted the APP and use the phones software.
The Powerbeats in their own right are incredibly secure on your head, look great, awesome construction and sound it great as well, very detailed, almost but not quite too detailed/sterile. Since there is no app for them, nothing to complain about there.

In-between all this, based on me hunting for new earbuds for a birthday present from my wife, my wife got into it and also bought a set of Jabra Active 75t but she was so impressed with the Bose sport buds we returned the Jabra's last night and will wait for her birthday for the Bose.
That is 3 sets of Jabra active and plain elite 75t we have tired and returned. Been through 7 pairs all together, keeping two but still have one on the way which I know already I will be returning and that is a JBL Reflect Mini NC slowest shipper of the bunch. Unless it surprises us in some way.

Bose is really cool, they give you 90 days to try out if you buy direct. I have to admit after returning the Jabras I got for me and getting the Powerbeats pro I was blown away by how light on the ears and quality of sound the Powerbeats deliver... then came along the Bose, they are kind of big, bulky but I tried them anyway. The app was horrible but again, once set up I removed it from my phone anyway. After listening to the Bose a a few days, I have REALLY come to like the sound and the Bose sound is now my favorite.
Also even though they look big, they are super lite and most of all, the way they are designed, they seal the ear like no other product on the market, TRULY amazing snd the best part is you dont have to shove it up your ear, they are so light that you forget you are wearing them after a while and no matter even if they shift a tiny bit, you NEVER lose the seal and continue to get good bass.
Not so with the PowerBeats, with that said, it is not an issue with the Powerbeats as they are so secure but you have to make sure when you place them on that you position them just right, the Bose just fall into place and seal.
Thank you for your well thought out comments. Regarding Bose, are their internal batteries replaceable (unlike Apple pro whose batteries last 2 years and one needs to replace them and not just batteries)?

I'd skip ANYTHING beats. Overpriced garbage. I'm shocked Apple bought them. Sandy Munro did a teardown of their $399 headphones and they had maybe $25 worth of materials in them. I'd go with Pioneer or Sennheiser myself. I keep seing commercials for Raycon. Not sure if they are actually any good.

I'd skip ANYTHING beats. Overpriced garbage. I'm shocked Apple bought them. Sandy Munro did a teardown of their $399 headphones and they had maybe $25 worth of materials in them. I'd go with Pioneer or Sennheiser myself. I keep seing commercials for Raycon. Not sure if they are actually any good.
I would have to disagree and much of the industry would too. Im sure you haven't tried Power Beats Pro anytime in the last year, so not sure how you can comment and be against almost every professional review as well as myself. I guess you think Apple products are garbage too since they own them.
Certainly would like to know what Pioneer and Sennheiser sports buds models you speak of. Because nothing fits, is as secure and designed like the Powerbeats which also takes into account the curve of the human skull ...
IMG_5512.jpeg

Thank you for your well thought out comments. Regarding Bose, are their internal batteries replaceable (unlike Apple pro whose batteries last 2 years and one needs to replace them and not just batteries)?
(Edited)
There is no indication that any earbud from Apple or any current earbuds has replaceable batteries, they are not. Of course any battery with expertise is replaceable but certainly not in the realm of the general public. You can send it into Apple though.

"And like the regular AirPods, the AirPods Pro are nearly impossible to repair yourself, according to a teardown by iFixit. To replace the tiny watch-like battery yourself, you might be able to take the AirPods Pro apart, but putting them back together is the problem."

Anyway to answer I dont know but doubt very much the Powerbeats have replaceable batteries. But doubt I would keep them longer then 2 years anyway. At the same time, the Powerbeats are sport earbuds and in a different class though their 9 hour battery I am sure will last far, far longer then the Airpod Pro which is 5 hours or less?
My purchase was strictly what will stay in my ear, as well as comfort and sound and through in battery life between charges as good measure on the Powerbeats, which I think safe to say in the top of their class along with the Bose Sport Buds.

Last edited:
I read a product review in "Reviewed" and they indicated Apple buds batteries are not replaceable, while others in their review were.🤷‍♂️
Is this the review that you're referring to?

If so, it states:
The batteries aren't replaceable, so there is an expiration date

Rechargeable batteries don't last forever, and after so many times being charged and depleted they just don't last as long. That isn't a huge problem on most devices, because the batteries can be replaced. The AirPods are mostly held together with glue, so replacing the battery just isn't feasible.
It just says "on most devices" but it doesn't say "on most wireless earbuds."

Is this the review that you're referring to?

If so, it states:

It just says "on most devices" but it doesn't say "on most wireless earbuds."
Thanks- good point. Since the product review is about wireless ear buds, I assumed they were referring to ear bud internal batteries. Vague writing (or poor reading?)

Quick check on Amazon shows batteries are available for Bose for about $20. Maybe others?

Last edited:
Not sure if you are still shopping, but I've been very impressed with my B&W headphones. They also make earbuds:

There are a few different styles.

seems easy. I would do this to save $200. You must be rich! Good for you…
LOL. I wouldn't buy $200 earbuds to begin with. :)

Technology changes so fast, most wireless earbuds become outdated in 2-3 years due to new BT standards/new codecs being released.

FWIW, after 2 years, batteries on my wireless earbuds are still working fine.

Last edited:
LOL. I wouldn't buy $200 earbuds to begin with. :)

Technology changes so fast, most wireless earbuds become outdated in 2-3 years due to new BT standards/new codecs being released.

FWIW, after 2 years, batteries on my wireless earbuds are still working fine.
Thanks. Yeah, tech is changing so fast. Just buy “good enuff” and get another pair in couple years but I feel bad with all that stuff ending up in landfills with toxic materials

FYI, most Li-Ion cells are good for about 500 full recharge cycles (from 0 to 100%). If you recharge every other day, that's about 3 years, but most of us don't wait until they're down to 0%, so in practice you should get more than 3 years.

FYI, most Li-Ion cells are good for about 500 full recharge cycles (from 0 to 100%). If you recharge every other day, that's about 3 years, but most of us don't wait until they're down to 0%, so in practice you should get more than 3 years.
Yeah but the problem is most true wireless earbuds are charged every time you take them off and the only way to shut them off is to put it in the charging case.
Example - Beats PowerPros, Bose, ect, ect, ect only turn off when they are returned to the charging case, there is no switch to shut them down.
The sound turns off when you remove them from your head but then go into standby mode which will run down to zero charge in less then a day or 30 hours in the Beats Power Pros and that is if it was fully charged when it went into standby which it isnt because you were just using it..

There was recently a publication that tested (forgot which one been reading so much on these things) that documents a relatively fast decline in battery capacity after only six months of use. Im just pulling numbers out of my head here but I think some were as high in the 15% loss range, maybe 20% cant remember .

Some now have a feature in their app allowing you to have it shut off automatically after a period of time when removed from your head and I expect this will be come more common but one needs to remember for the general pubic the default is still never to turn off unless put back in the charging case because half the public will think something is wrong with the earbuds because to power them up again you would need to put them back in the charging case and remove them or know enough to know if the particular model will allow a procedure to power them up using the buttons, if even there are buttons which many do not have.

OMG, wasn't on my radar and somehow missed your post. SO far I have the Powerbeats pro which I am keeping, fits me perfect (mostly) I have an issue with the left ear not always working with all earbuds, For example, the Jabra 75t both elite and active elite tends to push up on my left ear after a while. I need earbuds that I can be active in.
I need ear buds with an ear hook or over the ear hook. (battery life is sort of important too within reason)

The Powerbeats meet the objective as far as secure (mostly) and the sound perfectly mostly acceptable.
With that said I also ordered and am testing out the Bose Sport Buds ... looking like they are keepers for the same reasons above and actually enjoy the more neutral sound. (for a sport bud)
Both the Powerbeats and Bose are comfortable as heck and if phone calls are important the Powerbeats are amazing to the person on the other end of the line but the Bose is acceptable too.

We also tried out the Sony 800 sp or sn or something like that. Sound was horrible to me... I couldn't figure it out... wife didnt like them either. Returned them.

I also just got a pair of JBL Reflect Mini NC ... I love the sound, maybe not neutral but even with the bass the midrange is clean to me and find the sound exciting, HOWEVER, even with the "hook" in the ear, they just aren't working for me, left ear again, lifts up and loosens up so they are going to go back, they are better then the Jabra's by a long shot as far as being secure and I love the JBL sound, also the JBL phone app is AWESOME and MUCH better then the Bose. I might give the JBL one last shot but kind of know its a hope and dream. The JBL checks all the boxes except fit for me. App is great, sound to me great, amazing in that they are so small and play big, most of all I am impressed how well the touch controls work. Anyway, impressed for a corporate thrown together product.

In fact the Bose app is so lame I set up the Bose with the app and updated the earbuds with the app and then I deleted the app from my phone and use the Bose without the Bose app which sucks compared to JBL and Jabra apps. But that is ok, once set up I dont need it and again, the Bose sound and comfort rule.

So, so far the Bose Sport Buds and Powerbeats are the keepers. Most likely JBL will be returned.
I have one more ordered and should be here on Friday, dont make fun once I tell you, Im running out of brands to try. SO I saw some Jaybrid Vista 2 SE on sale in Sams club for $149 and ordered them. Figured what the heck, all I need to do is try them out and can return them at my local Sams Club.

So now you bought up the Shure... some time ago, I mean a year or more I might have discounted them for some unknown reason...
Ill check it out ...
Maybe at the time it was Shure Gen 1 cant remember... but I will say if I saw/thought of these a month ago I might have given them a try and now that you bring it up, I will read up on them, if it sounds like it may stay in my ear during activaties I have nothing to lose by trying them out... I will admit, I am getting burnt out ordering and returning ear buds. Which now number 7 or more sets. .. but again, Ill be keeping two.

With all the above said, just the fact that you know about Shure tells me a lot.
For me, bluetooth earbuds are a limited experience that with some luck will last 2 years assuming you dont lose or damage them. Even if you keep them in perfect condition battery life will be cut in half or more in 2 years, also anything bluetooth will have limited fidelity but will certainly sound good enough, I am looking for much better then good enough but no more then what Apple Music can deliver which BTW I am VERY happy with.

AS of right now I found those two in the Bose and Powerbeats along with good battery and sound... but I enjoy this stuff so if I fond something else better I will certainly entertain that.
Thanks for the suggestion!

(ok for what its worth I just started checking them out quickly, sounds like I might have wanted to try them out... its still possible, from Amazon its easy to return but still have a lot of reading to do on them, just at this point, I might have my mind made up already but hmmm ... you never know)

Last edited:
Back