New Truck - Chevrolet 2500HD w/ 6.6L L8T

Snow plow pack lets you make money with it, or at min keep your own property clean.

Not sure if your son can drive yet, or if you are in the region for it, but a good work ethic (which it appears you have nailed) and the right location you can make a bunch of money in the winter. Getting up at 3 and getting driveways clean and parking lots going pays well.

My friends and I all "managed snow" for people with more money or back for it as younger peeps.

I think the only thing my truck does not have are the clearance lights. It was 57,420. 500 rebate and 1000-dollar GM loyalty. So 55,920. I do like having the black essentials package. The Z71 package didn't matter but it was what they had on the lot. If you ask me, it is a gimmick. It had the factory sprayed in bed liner. The rest of the truck is the same as yours.

I think I only saw a few trucks with the 5th wheel/goose neck prep, and they were all diesels.

I think the 3.73s work very well, but I wish you could get a 4.10, all my previous trucks had them. Probably not necessary with the 10 speed and 6.6.

I don't care about mpg, but in mixed driving and some towing I am averaging 12.3 mpg over the 1600 miles.
I think you will like it. I have no complaints. I will say the lane departure gets upset with you A LOT if you aren't doing what you are supposed to. LOL

I think the only thing my truck does not have are the clearance lights. It was 57,420. 500 rebate and 1000-dollar GM loyalty. So 55,920. I do like having the black essentials package. The Z71 package didn't matter but it was what they had on the lot. If you ask me, it is a gimmick. It had the factory sprayed in bed liner. The rest of the truck is the same as yours.

I think I only saw a few trucks with the 5th wheel/goose neck prep, and they were all diesels.

I think the 3.73s work very well, but I wish you could get a 4.10, all my previous trucks had them. Probably not necessary with the 10 speed and 6.6.

I don't care about mpg, but in mixed driving and some towing I am averaging 12.3 mpg over the 1600 miles.
I think you will like it. I have no complaints. I will say the lane departure gets upset with you A LOT if you aren't doing what you are supposed to. LOL

Yeah, the lane departure has yelled at me a lot already on our little two lane roads. I found the button to turn it off, though. 🤣

Supposedly these trucks only use 1st gear when in tow/haul mode. All other times, they just start in 2nd. So, I think it probably has enough gearing with the 3.73s. We'll see.

I think you will like it. I have no complaints.

12.3 sounds awesome for that capability.

It's all a matter of perspective.

12.3 is 36% better than my square body f350 gasser that got 9 with less capability.

That is a sharp looking truck. I'm jealous. All things considered with truck prices these days, that isn't too bad of a deal. The 10 speed Allison really makes it pop.

New truck, electric car, and spending money on your child’s happiness and fulfillment.

Unauthorized behavior sir. The correct answer was used Camry and Tundra, tell your son he cannot race anymore, and hoard all your cash so you can stare at it…

What is the point of having money if you’re just going to enjoy yourself with it?

Kidding of course. 😉 Nice truck!

I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in. Just a dirt poor farm kid growing up. Hated school, but saw the value in it, and got a valuable education (computer science) that has turned into a good career.

My boy is only 7, but he loves dirtbikes, so we gave it a try last year. He did very well and loved it. Raced as an AMA 6 year old against 10 year olds and held his own very well. We're not going to push him. We don't have grand illusions of him becoming some superstar - we're just enjoying the time together as a family. If he comes to me tomorrow and says he doesn't want to do it anymore, we'll load the bikes up and head home.

Here's little dude pulling the holeshot at one of his races last year.

Adam Corolla said in like 2011 With a model S and a big truck you are set. You got both ends covered.

A 373's gotta be just great with that 10 speed.

Love it. Hope it last you a lifetime.

Thanks! Yeah, hoping it's the last truck I ever buy. :)

People rag on Tesla around here, but it really is the perfect little run around car for us. It's my wife's daily driver. We've put 24k miles on it and it's never been more than 50 miles from home. Perfect Tesla use case, imo. It really is a fun car to drive, too.

Last edited:
Yeah, the lane departure has yelled at me a lot already on our little two lane roads. I found the button to turn it off, though. 🤣

Supposedly these trucks only use 1st gear when in tow/haul mode. All other times, they just start in 2nd. So, I think it probably has enough gearing with the 3.73s. We'll see.
Well, that is an interesting tidbit of information. I did not know that.

Yep! I found the button pretty quickly myself.

I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in. Just a dirt poor farm kid growing up. Hated school, but saw the value in it, and got a valuable education (computer science) that has turned into a good career.

My boy is only 7, but he loves dirtbikes, so we gave it a try last year. He did very well and loved it. Raced as an AMA 6 year old against 10 year olds and held his own very well. We're not going to push him. We don't have grand illusions of him becoming some superstar - we're just enjoying the time together as a family. If he comes to me tomorrow and says he doesn't want to do it anymore, we'll load the bikes up and head home.

People rag on Tesla around here, but it really is the perfect little run around car for us. It's my wife's daily driver. We've put 24k miles on it and it's never been more than 50 miles from home. Perfect Tesla use case, imo. It really is a fun car to drive, too.

NICE ! Really ripped it - one kick in gear clutch in.

Is that an 80 or something smaller?

That is awesome!

My son is 18 now, but we did dirt bikes and quads for years! He loved it!! It has certainly helped with his ability to diagnose and repair mechanical stuff. He is taking welding right now and will done with some certificates in June.

12.3 sounds awesome for that capability.

It's all a matter of perspective.

12.3 is 36% better than my square body f350 gasser that got 9 with less capability.
Yeah, I am happy with that. I have seen 15.5 on the highway at 70. I have a camping trip in March. That will be the real way to determine what it gets towing. My TT is 32 feet and 8000 lbs.

NICE ! Really ripped it - one kick in gear clutch in.

Is that an 80 or something smaller?

That green bike is a Kawasaki KX65. He also has a Cobra CX65. Both 65cc two strokes. Nasty little rippers.

One trick we do to these little bikes for woods racing is gear them down and then start in 2nd gear. He loses a little top end, but these races rarely have wide open sections where that matters.

That is awesome!

My son is 18 now, but we did dirt bikes and quads for years! He loved it!! It has certainly helped with his ability to diagnose and repair mechanical stuff. He is taking welding right now and will done with some certificates in June.

That's awesome. Keep it up, young man!

That green bike is a Kawasaki KX65. He also has a Cobra CX65. Both 65cc two strokes. Nasty little rippers.

One trick we do to these little bikes for woods racing is gear them down and then start in 2nd gear. He loses a little top end, but these races rarely have wide open sections where that matters.

Best thing a young man can do to stay healthy and have fun is rip around on a dirt bike.

As Mark Knopfler would say - thats the way you do it.

It's sweet, and tuned nice, it completely cleared up half way down from a dead stop. Im sure it was warm to start with and recently shut off, but that isnt bad with a cold slug and head. Nasty little thing!- big grin ear to ear watching that.

The nikasil bikes ran a little cleaner than the steel sleeve bikes when cold as a kid not sure what kawi has.

The kids (and I) in my town had the bikes, but the running costs were on us.
We'd pick up two new front sprockets, one bigger one smaller and swap based on where we were riding.
Tuning a rear is better but it's more money and we didn't have much dough, so we'd gear for short or long tracks - open field running.

Breaking a clutch lever was a lawn mow of cost, and we only had 3, 4 lawns on the local blocks (you had to push the mower and bring all the gear to the yard - no rides.

Last edited:
we have 10 of these L8T trucks in the fleet all with the 6speed though. the power difference coming from the LY6 is insane. you never really need to rev the trucks out to do anything. on a trip to new mexico in a 21’ with 1800lbs of gear in the back, camper shell, 3 men and all their stuff needed for a 2 week job CCLB 4x4 version of this with the cruise set at 70 got 21.2MPG. outstanding trucks to say the least. tons of room under the hood to work on everything and a very stout IFS front end that handles better than any solid axle on the road. beautiful truck, thank you for sharing!

we have 10 of these L8T trucks in the fleet all with the 6speed though. the power difference coming from the LY6 is insane. you never really need to rev the trucks out to do anything. on a trip to new mexico in a 21’ with 1800lbs of gear in the back, camper shell, 3 men and all their stuff needed for a 2 week job CCLB 4x4 version of this with the cruise set at 70 got 21.2MPG. outstanding trucks to say the least. tons of room under the hood to work on everything and a very stout IFS front end that handles better than any solid axle on the road. beautiful truck, thank you for sharing!
At first I was a bit shocked to see our full line up GM dealership drop to Chevy/GMC … but nah - they kept the good stuff 😷

Nice truck, congrats OP. Really like the powertrain in these. I wish I found the new Chevy trucks comfortable inside, the seats kill my back.

L8T is awesome. Gets my gears turning -- hopefully once enough of them get out there, and they start showing up in junkyards/wrecking yards, would be a cool swap in a K2XX Suburban/Tahoe... 6.6 oh yeah. The L8T will prob. be a pricey piece for a long time to come. These mills call for 5W-30?

Back