New transportation trends, ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reform insurance laws. It's physically impossible for one driver to be driving two cars at once, so why should he be forced to pay insurance on both? Someone gave the example of a person who drives a truck for a living, and would like to have a second small car for errands and weekend driving, but he drives the truck instead, because of insurance costs on the second vehicle.

i would like to see more diesel cars and light trucks. these vehicles already get hybrid mileage. maybe some government subsidy or tax breaks (like the hybrids get).

another neat idea would be to peanalise excessivly large vehicles but im not sure how to do that without penalising the people who_actually_need large vehicles. if you need a big suv or truck because you have so much cargo or passengers to require it, then fine. afterall its more efficent to pile 8 people in a big suv than it is to take 2-3 small fuel efficent cars the same distance.

im thinking maybe something like the current income tax system, only in reverse. the first 500 galllons of fuel you buy, maybe you have to pay an extra 25%. the next 500 gallons at 12.5, the next 500 are not additionally taxed. i would only put this additional tax on vehicles in excess of 2500lbs unloaded weight.
this way the soccer moms get the full 25% extra cost and the people who use large vehicle for commercal use get a price break once they surpass the soccer moms fuel usage (which is a way of proving they do use the vehicle for its intended commercal purpose.) small vehicles wouldnt get penalsed at all, which would be a way of promoting people to buy smaller vehicles. lets face it almost everyone has a vehicle thats too big for them.
the money collected by this 25% and less tax system should be put into some kind of fund and GIVEN to users of small fuel efficent cars at income tax return time.

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
i would like to see more diesel cars and light trucks. these vehicles already get hybrid mileage. maybe some government subsidy or tax breaks (like the hybrids get).

another neat idea would be to peanalise excessivly large vehicles but im not sure how to do that without penalising the people who_actually_need large vehicles. if you need a big suv or truck because you have so much cargo or passengers to require it, then fine. afterall its more efficent to pile 8 people in a big suv than it is to take 2-3 small fuel efficent cars the same distance.

im thinking maybe something like the current income tax system, only in reverse. the first 500 galllons of fuel you buy, maybe you have to pay an extra 25%. the next 500 gallons at 12.5, the next 500 are not additionally taxed. i would only put this additional tax on vehicles in excess of 2500lbs unloaded weight.
this way the soccer moms get the full 25% extra cost and the people who use large vehicle for commercal use get a price break once they surpass the soccer moms fuel usage (which is a way of proving they do use the vehicle for its intended commercal purpose.) small vehicles wouldnt get penalsed at all, which would be a way of promoting people to buy smaller vehicles. lets face it almost everyone has a vehicle thats too big for them.
the money collected by this 25% and less tax system should be put into some kind of fund and GIVEN to users of small fuel efficent cars at income tax return time.

quote:

quote:

i dont know how i managed to double post and quote myself at the same time. can someone delete this.

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
Here would be a fun way to have a small, fuel efficient vehicle.
The soccer moms could get a 5/8 Hummer.
burnout.gif

P.B.

A company near my work makes these:
 -

They have a pretty pitiful range though, basically an overgrown golf cart.

quote:

Originally posted by ekrampitzjr:
1. Start a Manhattan- or Apollo-type program
Higher taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel could pay for much of this.

Lots of good suggestions. And I agree.
We could never win WWII or do another Manhattan Project ever again.
Unfortunately, this country-People and Politicians has lost its way. We will become what a Nation without a plan to insure survival of itself becomes.
frown.gif

A truck registration should be nearly free if you can prove you also own a car or motorcycle (more vehicles than licenses in a household) and put equal or better mileage on the car. Barring intense regulation and odometer peeking, vehicle registrations should be nearly free and the gas tax upped a nickel to cover it.

I like Master Acid's idea, but how about this... first 7 gallons of gas one buys per week are free then after that the gas tax is double. Run it as a rebate system, tie it into the credit card system. People without cars or who carpool could transfer credits to drivers at a rate the market would decide.

An SUV driver who lives five miles from work uses less resources than a diesel jetta owner 30 miles away... we shouldn't penalize SUV guy for reusing/rehabbing the urban house that's close to work... which is why I'm after the consumption angle of things not simple ownership of an obtuse vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back