New tool thread

Honestly, bud, trying to break a stuck lug bolt free with your biggest gun hammering a non-impact 3/8" Chrome socket on an adapter is just asking to break tools.

With all the tools you buy, I am surprised that you don't have a set of dedicated thin wall wheel bolt sockets.

1/2 drive - designed specifically for this purpose. Something like this set:

I cringe when I read some of your posts - you break tools through abuse.
I’ve got those from Matco. They were too thick as well. The chrome socket I was using was thinner. The wheel socket would have scraped the wheel cause it would not fit with the protector and hit without it. That’s why. I was told I had to try to get it off so I did and couldn’t so I got to send it at that point. Maybe different brands are even thinner.

I’ve got those from Matco. They were too thick as well. The chrome socket I was using was thinner. The wheel socket would have scraped the wheel cause it would not fit with the protector and hit without it. That’s why. I was told I had to try to get it off so I did and couldn’t so I got to send it at that point. Maybe different brands are even thinner.
Here's the point: you keep breaking tools because you use the wrong tool for the job.

Clearly another mechanic got those lug bolts on tight. Clearly they had sockets that fit. They didn't use a 3/8" Chrome socket.

You buy lots of tools - so, stop buying the things you like. Like duplicates Craftsman tools that you already own, or more license plates. They're not helping you in your job.

It's time to buy the tools you actually need.

Here's the point: you keep breaking tools because you use the wrong tool for the job.

Clearly another mechanic got those lug bolts on tight. Clearly they had sockets that fit. They didn't use a 3/8" Chrome socket.

You buy lots of tools - so, stop buying the things you like. Like duplicates Craftsman tools that you already own, or more license plates. They're not helping you in your job.

Great points. Bottom line buy tools you really need, not tools you like or that look cool. When it comes time to retire, money spend tools you really don't need could have been invested in making for a better retirement. A good buddy of mine was the Snap On guy's dream mechanic, he had to have everything. In the 80's he had tools valued at about $40K. He got sick of working at car dealerships and fixing cars. He decided on a career change, he sold his tools for about $10K, not good.

I didn't even know discussion of these was going on but ironically I decided a couple weeks ago I wanted to try a Snappy 1/2 to 3/8 reducer. Tired of snapping cheap ones.

I wound up behind my SnapOn guy at a stop light today and followed him to his first stop to grab one. Then came here to post (because apparently I have no life) and see it's rather timely.

I tried to get some LN46 pliers to be cool like other members but he's having trouble with UPS. Says he paid for 2-day on qty 50 on March 25 and now 5 days later UPS is still dragging their feet.
20230330_095038.jpg

Great points. Bottom line buy tools you really need, not tools you like or that look cool. When it comes time to retire, money spend tools you really don't need could have been invested in making for a better retirement. A good buddy of mine was the Snap On guy's dream mechanic, he had to have everything. In the 80's he had tools valued at about $40K. He got sick of working at car dealerships and fixing cars. He decided on a career change, he sold his tools for about $10K, not good.
And ,just because a tool is on sale or a good price, does not mean you have to buy it. Especially if you don't really need it. It's not a deal if you don't need it.

Skip some of the cheap tools from the local parts store and spend that toward a quality item you will actually use. I don't think I have ever bought a tool from AZ, oreillys, advance , unless it was something I needed to finish a job. Buy less quantity of cheap tools to buy a few quality tools.

Exactly. I walked off the truck only spending $27.27 which I assume included sales tax.

I had just been to the bank and had about a grand on me....I was so close to grabbing some swivel impact sockets so I could keep up with you, but somehow I refrained!
Just like Chris Rock say about men raising girls….”your only real job as a Dad is to Keep em off the pole!” I say the same to young boys…”just stay off the Truck!”

8EEC39D5-F6E6-49E6-A93E-C49B3D123B97.jpeg

Finally finished my collection of 3/8” dr impact swivels sockets. Snatched a new set of the shallows on eBay for $200 - less than 50% of the original msrp.

Now I own low-profile, shallow, semi-deep and deep:

88A1CD14-1D41-4B8E-9099-BD177C5B9045.jpeg

I also received one of my four backordered Williams USA socket sets - 3/8” deep metric chrome sockets. The set included 8-19mm; I ordered the 22mm and 24mm separately. I also had to obtain the 21mm from Snap-On since Williams USA does not offer a 21mm.

D7930DA6-A9A7-4CBA-AC45-10E626A547CB.jpeg

For those of us who don't really know/use tools, what is the difference between semi-deep and deep and as they appear to be the same outside dimensions why won't the deep do anything the semi does?
There are minor differences in the overall height of the sockets. This is more apparent in the larger sizes.

Swivels are generally used in areas where access is an issue, so having options can be useful.

However, if I had not purchased 3 out of 4 sets for under 50% of original MSRP, new, I would have only purchased shallow and deep. For semi deep and low-profile, the differences are not significant enough to justify the added investment at full msrp (or anywhere near it).

10mm:
02E68DA1-FEDF-40B6-A8A6-F30B2A75C459.jpeg

14mm:
06B773C9-4FA5-492F-8BC6-A3D65A65BE80.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a new tool, but a tool I think worth sharing.

This window washing bucket has become my go to tool for drainage of so many fluids. Great capacity, hard to spill, heavy duty handle, and super easy to transport fluids of all quantities. And the bucket cleans very easy. I have owned this bucket for liley 20 years, and only recently started using as a auto repair tool.

This picture is of the bucket being used to drain coolant from a GX 470.
PXL_20230331_181248754.jpg

There are minor differences in the overall height of the sockets. This is more apparent in the larger sizes.

Swivels are generally used in areas where access is an issue, so having options can be useful.

However, if I had not purchased 3 out of 4 sets for under 50% of original MSRP, new, I would have only purchased shallow and deep. For semi deep and low-profile, the differences are not significant enough to justify the added investment at full msrp (or anywhere near it).

10mm:
View attachment 147778

14mm:
View attachment 147772
Thank you. On first look, with the angle looking into the drawer, I thought the deep and semi were the same outer dimension and the difference was internal somehow. I couldn't figure out how that would matter. Seeing them this way makes it very clear. I appreciate the new knowledge.

Back