New tool thread

I’ve mentioned my Prentiss vise before but don’t think I’ve posted a photo. Bought it from a guy in Staten Island from whom I had bought another vise. A Snap On (made by Wilton). While I was standing in his shop chatting, I admired the Prentiss. He mentioned it was for sale. I asked him what he wanted. $400. I have no idea if that reasonable or not, and frankly, don’t even care. I pulled $400 from my wallet and bought it on the spot.

Now, I just need a bench worthy of that old vise. I’ve got some white oak, and I’m halfway through building a work table. The Prentiss will look good on it, I reckon.
View attachment 128681

Might as well post up the Snap On.

I would rather have a restored antique, US-made vise over all the Chinese junk out there…

View attachment 128682
OHhhh i like them both!! Is that snap on a rebranded Wilton?

I want that pair of Snap On pliers but they are expensive. I was going to buy them off of the Snap On website last night but they wanted almost $19 to ship and over $7 in taxes so $90 in total so I passed. Maybe I can find them cheaper some day.
Honestly try to walk on a truck w cash. Their baseline pricing is same as the website and there's obviously no shipping charge.

My driver (who doesn't really know me from Adam) didn't charge tax either last time and he knocked ~$50 off....although I was paying cash for a BJP1 so that's an above average cash sale....well, maybe..... not sure

Reactions: wtd
I want that pair of Snap On pliers but they are expensive. I was going to buy them off of the Snap On website last night but they wanted almost $19 to ship and over $7 in taxes so $90 in total so I passed. Maybe I can find them cheaper some day.
Oh and also funny you say that 'cause a couple weeks ago I sent my wife a screenshot of the pliers and my driver's cell and asked her to try to get me a set for Christmas. I explained it's ultimately considerably cheaper than ordering online for the same reasons you state above.

Reactions: wtd
New M18 6gal shop vac. And I'm gonna say chemicals are tools even though they're shop supplies. Mission silicone lube per @Trav reco and some Noco battery terminal corrosion preventative.

The shop vac is amazing -- better than my old corded Craftsman and so much more convenient
20221130_175145.jpg

I’ve mentioned my Prentiss vise before but don’t think I’ve posted a photo. Bought it from a guy in Staten Island from whom I had bought another vise. A Snap On (made by Wilton). While I was standing in his shop chatting, I admired the Prentiss. He mentioned it was for sale. I asked him what he wanted. $400. I have no idea if that reasonable or not, and frankly, don’t even care. I pulled $400 from my wallet and bought it on the spot.

Now, I just need a bench worthy of that old vise. I’ve got some white oak, and I’m halfway through building a work table. The Prentiss will look good on it, I reckon.
View attachment 128681

Might as well post up the Snap On.

I would rather have a restored antique, US-made vise over all the Chinese junk out there…

View attachment 128682

Really nice vises, for $400 you got a great price on that one. Did you get non marring jaw inserts?

EF482F05-AC2A-4D82-AF02-DED1CFC16DED.jpeg

These have been on my want list for awhile. I have a set of the 10” but came into a situation yesterday were I needed a small one with very narrow jaws, I’ve had a need for the small set a few times now so off I went to the tool store.

They might end up in my enduro bike tool kit come summer.

980B1013-A21C-483C-BE00-6AE240EEA000.jpeg
7A9713E4-55F9-4F67-8422-EF144EB87653.jpeg

Some new tools today first time in a little bit lol. The butane torch is awesome my coworker has one and I liked it so I bought the same one just in the better color orange instead of green lol 😂. And I wanted to get some of the Malco made pliers. Since I already have the Vise Grip style ones from them I wanted a set of these. Could have gotten them from Malco but I just got them from Snap-on because I could look at them in person. I like to do that with these in particular because of the chrome issues I’ve had with mine in which all have been replaced under warranty. With the factory shutting down though I wonder how it will be handled. This is my first set of pliers like this. I’ve used this style for compressing brake calipers before. Other than that can’t say I’ve used them in automotive but they were just a want. My driver believes Snap-on is going to buy the factory and keep them coming but I’m not sure. Still waiting on Matco to come today. My goal is to not buy anything but we will see haha. I need to get my serpentine belt tool replaced I bent the heck out of that thing lol. I’m just glad I haven’t bought too many tools here recently. Just been buying license plates instead haha but those aren’t quite as costly as tools usually.

I use my M12 tools (angle drill, light, 3/8” ratchet and 1/4” ratchet) frequently, and the charger croaked. Cheaper to get a new tool, battery, and charger than just a charger, right?

so…

E864C3EF-50C5-4444-AA90-CDF6551B58B8.jpeg

I am still a Makita fan, and all my 18v is Makita. Most of them are at the house, but here is the shop, I’ve got a blower, 1/2” drill, impact driver, and 1/2” impact wrench.

2D4B6989-0EF5-44A9-902E-9A854B3244DF.jpeg

I use my M12 tools (angle drill, light, 3/8” ratchet and 1/4” ratchet) frequently, and the charger croaked. Cheaper to get a new tool, battery, and charger than just a charger, right?

so…

View attachment 128785

I am still a Makita fan, and all my 18v is Makita. Most of them are at the house, but here is the shop, I’ve got a blower, 1/2” drill, impact driver, and 1/2” impact wrench.

View attachment 128786
OMG most people can't give away the M12 chargers. Seriously. I probably have several you're welcome to for the cost of a Regional Rate (typically the cheapest) box.

They're not worth selling for ~$10 after shipping and eBay fees (not to mention eBay now reporting to the gubermint)

New OE charges for Milwaukee are on ebay cheap, they are taken out of kits that people have multiples.

Oh, sure, bring logic into the discussion…you mean I could’ve just bought a cheap charger, and not gotten a 3/8” cordless impact?

Welp, good to know.

But I’ve got a 3/8” cordless impact to go along with my set of 3/8” impact sockets, drivers and IR 15QMAX…

I count 5. Free to anyone who wants one or more for the cost of shipping. I imagine 2 might make it on a Regional Rate A and 4 might fit in a B. Can't say for sure until I try to pack a box.

These are the M12 only chargers, not M12/M18 combos

Attachments

• 20221201_171848.jpg
    20221201_171848.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 13
Honestly try to walk on a truck w cash. Their baseline pricing is same as the website and there's obviously no shipping charge.

My driver (who doesn't really know me from Adam) didn't charge tax either last time and he knocked ~$50 off....although I was paying cash for a BJP1 so that's an above average cash sale....well, maybe..... not sure
If I would ever see one around here, I would try that. I live out in the country and the town that I live by is very small so I'm not sure if a Snap On truck even comes around here or not.

Back