New tool thread

Do they also all use a spline drive instead of a standard 12-pt drive?
All but Snap on from what I have seen, I definitely prefer the Snap on 12 pt but given the amount of work I do now the price is kind of overkill. I still do heavy jobs just not every day, I am looking at those from Icon the next time they have a 20 or 25% no restrictions coupon.

I believe EZ-Red is/was? the original manufacturer, They are nice wrenches & honestly didn't know HF/Icon was selling it's own branded version.

They will eventually start slipping/auto reversing if used hard, And the Spline Drive likes to get stuck on 6-point fasteners making the reversible feature mandatory.

Speaking of the reversible feature, The slide switch can get in the way in tight spaces.

I'll probably buy a Icon set because I like the offset head which has saved my bacon a few times.
I don't think EZ Red is the OEM of much of anything?

I thought these ubiquitous spline drive long DBE's were all Kabo? I've got the Carlyle version....they're good for serp tensioners....that's about all I can really say. Warranty thru NAPA is "meh" but also a huge YMMV depending upon local store.

All but Snap on from what I have seen, I definitely prefer the Snap on 12 pt but given the amount of work I do now the price is kind of overkill. I still do heavy jobs just not every day, I am looking at those from Icon the next time they have a 20 or 25% no restrictions coupon.
I don't see ICON on the restrictions:
Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 06-44-20 4th of July Sale 7_01 – 7_04.jpg

I thought these ubiquitous spline drive long DBE's were all Kabo?
They all seem to look identical, don't they ?

I was just looking at some Kabo photos and info here:

According to some posts in the GJ thread, the spline drive will supposedly fit on fasteners with square heads and Torx heads

B61D00C2-C818-4957-9298-4A31CC575BA1.jpeg
9F5ED54C-24EE-4E6C-AB5C-F5A62D20A0A7.jpeg

A few new tools today. From O’Reilly. My friend started working there so I got a discount on both of these plus the other stuff I got. I haven’t had much experience with Roto-Head ratchets so I wanted to try one out and didn’t want to spend huge huge money on it. I figure if I like it and this one does good then that’s great and I’ll buy more in 1/4 and 1/2 drive. The sockets are regular $15.99 and the ratchet was regular $28.99 for both for around 50% off plus the two things of hand cleaner all out the door for $34 bucks.

I don't think EZ Red is the OEM of much of anything?

I thought these ubiquitous spline drive long DBE's were all Kabo? I've got the Carlyle version....they're good for serp tensioners....that's about all I can really say. Warranty thru NAPA is "meh" but also a huge YMMV depending upon local store.

That's it....Kabo, Interestingly enough I've never seen a Kabo branded set? EZ-Red is the first set I saw on a Cornwell truck. I liked my Cornwell rep's over the years....But good luck getting them to warrantee anything not Cornwell branded.

That's it....Kabo, Interestingly enough I've never seen a Kabo branded set? EZ-Red is the first set I saw on a Cornwell truck. I liked my Cornwell rep's over the years....But good luck getting them to warrantee anything not Cornwell branded.
I don't think Kabo puts their actual name on anything in the States. They're a Taiwanese manufacturer and not interested in final retail.

I think it'd be like seeing a Johnson Controls brand automotive battery or Warren branded motor oil

And yeah, EZ Red (and I think Mountain) have maybe been on the market the longest.

Kabo makes really nice stuff but these particular wrenches are just so-so IME.

My wife and I are babysitting our friend's 2019 Pathfinder while he's deployed with the Army overseas. When giving it an oil change last weekend I discovered that my little Craftsman 2 1/4 ton jacks did not have enough lift height to get the wheels off the ground. Used some 2x4s to get it up enough to remove a wheel so I could do an oil change, but did not want that to be my plan going forward. So I read all the jack threads here and ended up with this one. Just 2.5 tons but that's sufficient and more importantly has an extra 3.5" or so of lift which will be enough for the Pathfinder. About $50 less than the nearest Harbor Freight equivalent. Much lighter than those 105 lb Harbor Freight models too, and only a bit heavier than the all aluminum ones. Haven't used it yet but seems like it'll work well.

IMG_0809.jpg

jeff

EC345DA1-55B0-4F4D-9960-45F45B3E679F.jpeg

Does this count as a new tool? Lol. Milwaukee string trimmer as they call it but here in the south we call it a weed eater lol. Parents wanted to give it a try. I tried to talk them out of it. It’s going back, none of us like it. I think if they would of made it more than 18V it would of done better. To be fair our yard is larger than average too and this thing gets hot very fast. But overall just lacks power. I figured I would give it a chance even with my bias towards battery lawn tools but just not happy in it. I put my 5.0 battery on it and it lost even more power than the 6.0 I was just curious to see what it would do. I’m going to buy them a different one. Problem is none of the stores even have places for the gas powered ones anymore. We asked and the employee said order from the website and have it shipped to store because they don’t have any right now. So far I know to avoid Milwaukee and Kobalt for battery operated lawn tools because both of them have disappointed. They gave $300 for this I found an excellent Echo from Home Depot for $229. That’s probably what I’ll go with. We have about 10 weed eaters could probably just make a new one haha. Just all of them are really old or the most recent one has a busted fuel line and we realized Homelite is not what it used to be so probably going to retire that one too. So yes that’s my new tool and review. All bias aside I’d advise sticking with gas for these 🙂.

View attachment 106463
Does this count as a new tool? Lol. Milwaukee string trimmer as they call it but here in the south we call it a weed eater lol. Parents wanted to give it a try. I tried to talk them out of it. It’s going back, none of us like it. I think if they would of made it more than 18V it would of done better. To be fair our yard is larger than average too and this thing gets hot very fast. But overall just lacks power. I figured I would give it a chance even with my bias towards battery lawn tools but just not happy in it. I put my 5.0 battery on it and it lost even more power than the 6.0 I was just curious to see what it would do. I’m going to buy them a different one. Problem is none of the stores even have places for the gas powered ones anymore. We asked and the employee said order from the website and have it shipped to store because they don’t have any right now. So far I know to avoid Milwaukee and Kobalt for battery operated lawn tools because both of them have disappointed. They gave $300 for this I found an excellent Echo from Home Depot for $229. That’s probably what I’ll go with. We have about 10 weed eaters could probably just make a new one haha. Just all of them are really old or the most recent one has a busted fuel line and we realized Homelite is not what it used to be so probably going to retire that one too. So yes that’s my new tool and review. All bias aside I’d advise sticking with gas for these 🙂.
The big Milwaukee tools work fine if you use the high output batteries on them. They figured out that you can’t use the 18650 based batteries with the big stuff and get long operation. That is why the low voltage tools got such a bad name in the beginning. The voltage has to be high to get the time out of those smaller cells.

Back