New tool thread

Craftsman used to have their "Professional" pry bars which were Mayhews IIRC. I will say, the handles were more sexy. Here's a NOS ebay auction but at $175.00 he's arguably proud of them. There's really no way to get an equivalent warranty replacement today if you bend one

Tekton:
Mini Bent Long Nose Pliers
1/4” Drive x 2.5” Spinner Handle High Torque
1/4” Drive x 1/4” Hex Bit Holder

Williams/Snap On Industrial
3/8” Drive Wobble Extension, 1 inch USA
1/2” Drive Wobble Extension, 2 inch USA

Attachments

• 078BE554-18BA-4E31-8C57-B6397DD2190B.jpeg
    078BE554-18BA-4E31-8C57-B6397DD2190B.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 87FD283D-5B2E-46B1-AE43-8A8E0661F158.jpeg
    87FD283D-5B2E-46B1-AE43-8A8E0661F158.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Irwin Bolt Extractor Sockets, 8mm to 16mm - 5/16” to 5/8” range USA
Lisle T-40, T-45 Torx Bit Sockets USA
OEMTools Magnetic Bits Holder Taiwan
Odelphi StripLamp Pro LED Headlamp China

The Irwin extractor worked perfectly yesterday. Currently $19 at NAPA.

The LED Headlamp is easy to wear and super bright. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• A038F321-63B3-4740-A088-B668B9648743.jpeg
    A038F321-63B3-4740-A088-B668B9648743.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 14
...Williams/Snap On Industrial
3/8” Drive Wobble Extension, 1 inch USA
1/2” Drive Wobble Extension, 2 inch USA
Nice! Did you source the Williams stuff on-line? I got a nice 1/4" drive set from them 1 or 2 years ago... bought it direct... Last time I looked, seemed they no longer did direct sales on-line and had to go thru a liscenced distributor

Nice! Did you source the Williams stuff on-line? I got a nice 1/4" drive set from them 1 or 2 years ago... bought it direct... Last time I looked, seemed they no longer did direct sales on-line and had to go thru a liscenced distributor
I bought from Zoro.

If Williams had an online site and warranty policy similar to Tekton I would buy more of their tools. At this point Tekton is my first choice for basic hand tools.

Last edited:
20220626_133910.jpg

Got the Hart brush-less drill/impact $49, with 2 - 2ah batteries with small tool bag, and Kobalt 18" tool bag like new, marked down from $49 to $29, pawn shop finds. Then sprung $49 new for the Hart angle grinder. Menard's had Irwin Vise Grip pair on sale for $10.

View attachment 105458

Got the Hart brush-less drill/impact $49, with 2 - 2ah batteries with small tool bag, and Kobalt 18" tool bag like new, marked down from $49 to $29, pawn shop finds. Then sprung $49 new for the Hart angle grinder. Menard's had Irwin Vise Grip pair on sale for $10.
Excellent deal on those items for sure. General question for the crowd about these 3rd tier tool brands - Hart, Flex, etc. I see some of these sold alongside what I'd call the top brands - Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, as well as the "house" brands - Ryobi, Craftsman, Kobalt (why Lowes carries both of the latter I do not get) at the big stores and I don't understand what niche they fill. Are they just another alternative to Harbor Freight, Worx, the random Chinese brands on Amazon? Or do they slot in alongside Rigid, Porter Cable, Metabo/Hitachi, etc?

I'll buy Harbor Freight for seldom used tools when there's a big savings over a "real" brand, I've settled on Makita for cordless. I can see why someone would go for Ryobi on the budget end, it's these oddball brands I don't get. What's the confidence level that Flex will still be around with the same battery system in 15 years?

jeff

General question for the crowd about these 3rd tier tool brands - Hart, Flex, etc

Flex is a top tier product that has been around longer than any of the others for some tools.

What company makes Flex Power tools?

FLEX-Elektrowerkzeuge GmbH is a German producer of power tools with headquarters in Steinheim. After producing flexible shaft grinders since 1922, FLEX invented the "Flex" or angle grinder in 1954.

Still they seems to be much higher end than cheap Walmart stuff. Made in China I am guessing but so is TTI Milwaukee.
Yeah the Chinese build is hard to avoid. Milwaukee is 100% Chinese, Makita is a Japanese company that makes some of their stuff in China, etc. I'm still not sure what exactly the Flex tools found around here are :) but the question remains, why do some of the stores carry so many different brands of comparable stuff? Lowes for instance appears to carry Kobalt (their own brand), Craftsman (the old Sears brand), Flex (whatever the hell it is), Metabo HPT (combo of Metabo and Hitachi), and Milwaukee, and I'm probably missing something. Just the home improvement version of the toothpaste aisle at the grocery store?

jeff

Shame about Metabo, they really were one of the best years ago, very good balanced motors, German made,
I know Dewalt has/had DIY grade and pro grade stuff as does Bosch, I cant remember seeing them at HD or Lowe's though.

Back