New tool thread

I spent $20 at Amazon on a Uvex face shield. It has a 1.2mm polycarbonate visor with anti-fog and anti-scratch coatings (replacement cost is $20)

View attachment 114549
View attachment 114550
View attachment 114551

Uvex Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate Visor and Anti-Fog/Hard Coat (S8510) - Eye Protection Equipment - Amazon.com
Man I needed one of these earlier in the summer when a rock chipped my tooth while I was running a weed eater. I'll probably get this so thanks for the link.

View attachment 114572View attachment 114573
A few goodies from O’Reilly Auto Parts. Went there to drop some used oil and remembered I was looking for a few things. The 14mm deep 6 point is to fill in one of my sets at home. Haven’t been able to find that one at the pawn shop so I just got it while I was here I use that size all the time anyway so it will get used. The extension is for work. Realized I didn’t have that size one there in chrome and it is good for torquing some wheels where the torque wrench gets too close to the wheel so instead of using the 6 inch I’ll use this one that way I know it’s torqued properly. I do have an impact one that size but I’ve split a few impact extensions with my torque wrench so I’ll put this one to use instead. Power Torque is pretty good with the tools. Made in Taiwan and lifetime warranty plus since my friend works there I got the employee discount. I’d say Power Torque is the second best auto parts store brand tools under Carlyle from Napa. I’ll never stop buying tools lol. Especially from auto parts stores which I’ve really come to love their tools lol.
How deep is that deep well socket broached?

I run into stuff that a pipe wrench is to wide to fit into. Some things I still prefer channel locks for but these are good for taking apart old aluminum fittings and such.
DB642EA8-FEFF-410E-AC71-BBCA3C470674.jpeg

Had to drop into TSC for some bar & chain lube (apparently now ~$14 is a good price for a gallon?? It used to go as low as $7 just a couple years ago) so wandered about looking for other things

- two more S56 chains at $5.79 ea. Not as good as the 2-packs that worked out to $4.75 ea but still a killer deal
- clearance Mayhew chisel for $7.49
- clearance "hobby" bit set that includes a zillion tiny bits which do sometimes come in handy: Torx down to T4, triangle bits, tiny phillips, hex etc. At $7.99 it's worth having around for the "just in case" moments
20220829_183455.jpg

Had to drop into TSC for some bar & chain lube (apparently now ~$14 is a good price for a gallon?? It used to go as low as $7 just a couple years ago) so wandered about looking for other things

- two more S56 chains at $5.79 ea. Not as good as the 2-packs that worked out to $4.75 ea but still a killer deal
- clearance Mayhew chisel for $7.49
- clearance "hobby" bit set that includes a zillion tiny bits which do sometimes come in handy: Torx down to T4, triangle bits, tiny phillips, hex etc. At $7.99 it's worth having around for the "just in case" moments View attachment 114780
I've got to check my tractor supply today while I'm off. I'll definitely pick up one of those made in USA Mayhew chisels is they're available on clearance.

Last edited:
I scored a nice 12 oz. Vaughan ball peen for $15 from my local mom and pop hardware store.
I actually put it to use this morning before I snapped this photo. The dark streaks in the wood look like cracks but it's just dark wood. It's also nice and straight up and down and the head is hung correctly.
20220830_141830~2.jpg

There's something nice about swinging American steel and American hickory. I would take that 100 times out of 100 over some sort of crap Chinese hammer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo and reply. Sometimes I really like deeper broach sockets but most of the time I prefer shallower broached if clearance is not a problem.

I prefer to have a little less chamfer on the edge, or rather as little as possible. But we take what we can get. Broaching depth doesn't matter much if there's room for the threaded part of a stud beyond the broach

I bought a pair of 6"x 3/4" aluminum oxide wheels ($25 ea) from Amazon for my 40 year old Milwaukee grinder, along with a Norton dressing stick.
The 80 grit Pferd wheel is made in Germany.
The 36 grit Sait wheel is made in the USA.
I am a bit surprised the 2 wheels survived the trip from Amazon without damage, given Amazon's policy of minimalist protective packaging. I still need to give the wheels the "ring test" before I mount them.

DSC01229.JPG

DSC01217.JPG

I spent $75 +tax at Amazon 2 weeks ago for a 4 1/2" Bosch GWS10-450 angle grinder (today it is $89). Manufactured in China. It has a 10A motor that spins the wheel at 11,000 rpm via a spiral bevel gearset. It has a low level of vibration, no worse than my elderly 4" made-in-Japan Makita. Amazon did a truly pathetic job of packaging this tool for shipment in a plastic bag. The Bosch box was torn to tatters.

DSC01239.JPG

DSC01238.JPG

Size comparison to a 40 year old 3.5-amp 4" Makita

DSC01240.JPG

I scored a nice 12 oz. Vaughan ball peen for $15 from my local mom and pop hardware store.
I actually put it to use this morning before I snapped this photo. The dark streaks in the wood look like cracks but it's just dark wood. It's also nice and straight up and down and the head is hung correctly.
View attachment 114819
There's something nice about swinging American steel and American hickory. I would take that 100 times out of 100 over some sort of crap Chinese hammer.
I went back picked up a 16 oz hammer for $15.50.
PXL_20220903_151952670.NIGHT.jpg

What I do when I get a new striking tool is that I wrap the handles in tennis racquet grip. Three grips are about four bucks. I secure the end with electrical tape. It lasts a long time and you really get a great grip with sweaty or greasy hands.
PXL_20220903_154452492.NIGHT.jpg

...What I do when I get a new striking tool is that I wrap the handles in tennis racquet grip. Three grips are about four bucks. I secure the end with electrical tape...
Does the end of the electrical tape stay attached after using the hammer a few times?

Another option is Re-Grip, but it is pricey.
Home - Re-Grip

I went back picked up a 16 oz hammer for $15.50. View attachment 115363
What I do when I get a new striking tool is that I wrap the handles in tennis racquet grip. Three grips are about four bucks. I secure the end with electrical tape. It lasts a long time and you really get a great grip with sweaty or greasy hands.
View attachment 115364
Thats a fantastic idea! I'm going to use that!

Back