New to me Porsche UOA - what oil is this?

Hello! Car is a 2010 Porsche Cayman S 3.4L DFI 6MT. Bought this in October 2021 and changed the oil in December. Previous owner stated the last oil change was performed by a local shop in April. Sold the car because he didn't drive it much anymore. With low wear and fuel dilution, I think the oil analysis is telling the same story haha. Oil was changed hot, after a 10 mile drive. Looks like Mobil 1 0w-40 FS to me. What do you think?

Oil was changed to Motul 300V 5w-40 and a OE Mahle filter. Planning on doing HPDE, autocross, ~3000 street miles, and an annual oil change. See my other thread below.

Attachments

• 2022-01-07 09_00_49-Window.jpg
    2022-01-07 09_00_49-Window.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 204
Doesn't look like M1 0W-40 to me, but it's going to be impossible to tell with a certainty what was used. We can make educated guesses, but that's all they'll be.

Hard to judge because it sheared down to 9.88 cSt. Take a look at some of the Euro VOA’s on this forum. The high calcium, 2827 ppm might be a tip off. It looks similar to Mobil 1 0w40.

Last edited:
Additive seems M1 FS 0w40. Shear is high but not problem as always with FS GTL, usually it shears to 10+ not 9+.

Could also be Pennzoil Euro in the SN formulation, the very low viscosity could be a tell there at Shell Euros start pretty thin for grade. Confident it is not Valvoline or Castrol.

Some kind of A3/B4 euro oil with fuel dilution would be my guess. Look the uoa section and find a similar additive package . That is really all you can do with a $30.00 what ever they cost now uoa.

Hello! Car is a 2010 Porsche Cayman S 3.4L DFI 6MT. Bought this in October 2021 and changed the oil in December. Previous owner stated the last oil change was performed by a local shop in April. Sold the car because he didn't drive it much anymore. With low wear and fuel dilution, I think the oil analysis is telling the same story haha. Oil was changed hot, after a 10 mile drive. Looks like Mobil 1 0w-40 FS to me. What do you think?

Oil was changed to Motul 300V 5w-40 and a OE Mahle filter. Planning on doing HPDE, autocross, ~3000 street miles, and an annual oil change. See my other thread below.
10 mile drive is not necessarily enough to consider the oil "hot", especially not in winter.

I do like the Motul 300V going in, have fun with that car (and that oil)!

Porsche tends to use/recommend M1 0W-40…I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t M1 that has just been thinned badly by fuel.

It seems that despite the Mobil 1 relationship with Porsche factory, Motul has some relationship with endurance racing as all the GT class cars at the 24 hours of Daytona appeared to have Motul branding on them. Not that that's any guarantee of what's in the sump, so take it for what its worth.

It seems that despite the Mobil 1 relationship with Porsche factory, Motul has some relationship with endurance racing as all the GT class cars at the 24 hours of Daytona appeared to have Motul branding on them. Not that that's any guarantee of what's in the sump, so take it for what its worth.

You got it!

I don't understand why you're so focused on what brant the previous oil was ... Why care?

I'd be far more interested in the 2% of fuel. That's not insignificant. It may be residual if he "short tripped" the car before you owned it, or if he just "pulled it out once a month to warm the engine up" (which isn't as helpful as most think). Or, it could be just a rich fuel trim, being a performance car. Regardless, I'd want to know that more than what oil it is, because fuel could be a bigger issue if you plan longer OCIs (5-8k miles).

Wear looks normal; not an issue there.

It's a 30w now. Best new oil spec is always the oil cap
spec. Probably a 40w spec.

I don't understand why you're so focused on what brant the previous oil was ... Why care?

I'd be far more interested in the 2% of fuel. That's not insignificant. It may be residual if he "short tripped" the car before you owned it, or if he just "pulled it out once a month to warm the engine up" (which isn't as helpful as most think). Or, it could be just a rich fuel trim, being a performance car. Regardless, I'd want to know that more than what oil it is, because fuel could be a bigger issue if you plan longer OCIs (5-8k miles).

Wear looks normal; not an issue there.

Yeah I think that is exactly how it was operated by the previous owner. The car will see a ~3K OCI with extended highway drives and track use. Short trips below 10 miles will be infrequent. We will see again in the fall!

Back