New to me 2007 F-350

Very nice. 2007 Super Dutys are somewhat rare. They are actually 2006s and were labeled 2007 so Ford had something to sell while the factories were being retooled for the 2008 update.

BTW- I own your truck's little brother. A 2007 F350 regular cab 5.4l RWD. The color is sweet.

View attachment 89182
I absolutely love Dark Shadow Grey. My 2014 Mustang is Sterling Grey Metallic which is pretty close. Ever since they came out I have wanted a DSG 03 Cobra. But finding those that aren't absolutely destroyed is near impossible now.

For 82k miles, mechanically this truck doesn’t look like the spring chicken I’d expect it to be. Me personally, I’d skip the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke engines. I know people like them because they can be picked up cheap (for a diesel) but they are less expensive for a reason.

Truck looks good, bed not beat to death and honest dirt under the hood. Back when I had the LBZ Duramax truck I was on some diesel forums of course and the Ford guys were saying it would take $3-$5k to bulletproof a 6.0 Powerstroke. OP is in the perfect spot to know what needs done.
I've heard various people go on about what a 6.0 needs to stay fixed

Like this particular 🔊 individual

But then I try to stay out of diesel matters

It's a beautiful truck though, I'm used to seeing much more rust and ruin

Enjoy it

Very nice truck!!! I always loved the 6.0 years. Have a few friends that had them. Loved the body style, the engine sounded great and coupled with the solid 5 speed autos they drove great.

I actually had been looking for a clean 6.0 to replace my 2011 half ton. Needed a solid truck and it would have been a nice step into the diesel world. Would have loved the project to bullet proof it but I could not find a clean unmolested one in these parts. Mind you the 2017 I have seems to do just fine...

The answer to that depends on who you talk to. I think it is an improvement, but there were issues that by now have solutions. The big elephant in the room with 7.3L trucks is the newest one is 19 years old and the engine might be great but everything else is falling apart around it.
That’s not necessarily true about everything falling apart around the 7.3 engine. I have a ‘96 F250 and everything works like it should. Seats are finally getting worn looking. I’ve always heard that about Dodges, not Fords, that the trucks fall apart around the Cummins.

That’s not necessarily true about everything falling apart around the 7.3 engine. I have a ‘96 F250 and everything works like it should. Seats are finally getting worn looking. I’ve always heard that about Dodges, not Fords, that the trucks fall apart around the Cummins.
It has to be regional. The 7.3s here seemed to always be thrashed work trucks.

O and as for the important question, it has Motorcraft 15W40 in it right now with a FL-2016 filter. Ideally I wanted to use Rotella T6 5W40, but that is next to impossible to get at this time. Planning on changing every 5K. Ford updated the fluid spec on the Torqshift from SP to Mercon LV, so once I get a deeper pan I will change the fluid and filter. It calls for 75W140 in the rear and 80W90 in the front diff. I will probably use Motorcraft for those as well as LV for the transfer case and Mercon V for the power steering. I would use the Motorcraft 5W40 but it is obscenely expensive, a 5qt bottle is $78.

The answer to that depends on who you talk to. I think it is an improvement, but there were issues that by now have solutions. The big elephant in the room with 7.3L trucks is the newest one is 19 years old and the engine might be great but everything else is falling apart around it.
Yep. I love the 7.3L, but they are slower, less efficient, and any truck that runs and drives will be a crazy price despite what flaws it may have. The 6.0L is really the sweet spot if you have the ability to bullet proof it, because you can find them for decent prices and make them reliable. 05-07 has less issues than the earlier trucks. If you do the head studs, coolant filter, EGR cooler, and keep the engine oil and coolant clean it will run a long time. Gauges to monitor EGTs are a good idea as well.

The 6.4L engine is just a disaster. The emissions controls are much more expensive (DPF) and the build quality is worse (valve train issues, etc). They are also a huge pain to work on, as there is even less room in the engine bay with all the stuff in there.

Looks like a great buy. Hopefully you dont have any 6.0 issues and enjoy it. Pre DPF diesel in this kind of condition is almost investment grade.

Back