New to me 1995 LS400 172k pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
It might be sooner for me than I would like, I am getting a sound like the starter is still engaged for a half second after starting... Either solenoid or actual starter I'm not sure...I may post a you tube video

OOF. That job is a monster. Replace the EGR tube while you're there.

I supercharged my old former 96 LS400 for a while. With a Vortech V-2 and the Lextreme fish bracket. No intercooler or engine mgmt, easy easy install. Made the car realllly come alive.

If you register the car online with Lexus you can get access to the service records and recalls performed at Lexus dealerships. They'll send you a free owners manual too if you request it.

Originally Posted By: ClubLexus post

My Game Plan, rockauto and sewell with CL discount
1. Aisin/mitsuboshi/koyo Timing belt/water pump kit TKT030
2. Cam and crank seals OEM
3. should I do distributor caps and rotors OEM? (spark plugs and wires were replaced last year per owner)
4. new thermostat and orings/gasket OEM
5. new temp sender OEM
6. new serpentine belt, maybe i should get new idlers and tensioner as well? does brand matter here?
7. Power steering, I need some direction as to how to start my diagnosis

8. I am fearful about cracks on TB so after I do that I will address trans/throttle adjustment, starter, vibrations, tires, change trans fluid/oil/diff/brake fluid, etc etc

Read more: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/753413-new-to-me-1995-ls400-172k.html#ixzz3EFf3DP92

You can do items 1-7 all at the same time. Might as well, while you're there. Do the water pump too. I've done the timing belt, cam n' crank seal job twice. It's not bad at all!
PS pump res leak is probably from the o-ring seal that attaches the res to the pump. I rebuilt my PS pump and rebrushed the alternator for very cheap while the front was apart for the timing belt job. Not difficult, any of it, and can be done with a bench vise and hand tools. I also replaced the idler pulley bearings during that job. Again.. easy. I recommend you go full OEM on the distributor caps and rotors. Buy once, cry once.
And hey... while you're there, also do the valve cover gaskets and plug tube seals! Don't forget the PCV valve and (very important) the PCV valve grommet. Replace any brittle hoses up top. LOL you have some work ahead of you but it'll be worth it.
Gorgeous car you got, may it provide many years of enjoyable motoring.

When you do the trans fluid, drop the pan and change the filter. Can't stress this enough. Use OEM T-IV fluid.

If your PS hard line is leaking, an Edelmann hose from RockAuto for $50 does a perfect job and is a breeze to install.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
It might be sooner for me than I would like, I am getting a sound like the starter is still engaged for a half second after starting... Either solenoid or actual starter I'm not sure...I may post a you tube video

This is somewhat common with the Mitsubishi starters on Honda V-6s, too. Our Acura's starter has dragged the drive gear for a second after the engine lights for over a year now. I have plans to remove it and see if I can nurse it along with some lubrication or other TLC. I'll probably have to end up replacing it...

Never noticed that on the bunch of Jeep 4.0s we've had with Mitsubishi starters. Only thing they do is the just keep cranking slower and slower as the vehicle ages.

FYI the starter on the LS400 is a NipponDenso unit. The only mitsu part I've seen on that car was a serpentine belt by Mitsuboshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back