New to me 05 tundra 4.7 recommendations

Hello I just recently purchased a 2005 4.7L Toyota Tundra. It has 168k miles on it and I’m wondering what you’d recommend using for oil, filter, and OCI?

Our 2001 Tundra has 200k and is perfect. I use the larger oil filter, an M1-301A or equivalent.. This allows for an even 7 quart service.
I would use any 5w30 synthetic. These engines are easy on oil. I do 12 to 16 month OICs because the truck doesn't see a lotta miles nowadays.

Depending on the service history, if the oil seems like it needs some help, perhaps a quick 3K OCI might help. But I would be surprised if it needed it.
We got ours used; at that time I changed all the fluids, including brake fluid along with the overdue fron brakes. The tranny was an easy spill and fill.
Enjoy your new Tundra!

Last edited:
Toyota says 5k on dino, 10k on synthetic (or 1 year, whichever comes first). Napa Synthetic is on sale this month for $3.19/qt. It's Valvoline.

For the filter, any Fram or Wix is a good choice. Napa Gold is Wix, and some Napas have a half price sale on them right now. Napa also puts their Platinum filters on sale a few times a year, but they're not on sale right now. Napa Platinum is Wix XP

Even the orange Fram at Walmart is a quality filter. Some Walmarts also carry OEM Toyota oil filters, but there is no need to spend the extra money on them.

What are your driving conditions? How many miles do you put on in a year?

Toyota Denso YZZD3 and whatever oil you feel like.

Those still had the timing belt? I’d double check when it was last done.

Timing belt motor; interval is 90K; I do 1 year 12-15K OCI on my friends '02 with an extended drain oil (M1 EP); has 250K miles, burns no oil.

Even the orange Fram at Walmart is a quality filter. Some Walmarts also carry OEM Toyota oil filters, but there is no need to spend the extra money on them.

It's def gone up in quality, now rated at up to 10k miles and 95% efficiency at 20 microns. Hard to beat that, if you're following 5k OCI that sounds like an ultimate filter for the job.

OP, there's Napa full synthetic on sale right now $15.49/5qt. That'll serve you well. congrats on the vehicle!

Last edited:
Any quality 5w30 synthetic high mileage oil. Oe filter is always a good choice. Can’t go wrong with wix.. napa “wix”.. rebranded.. Mobil 1.. super tech my choices.

Thank you all for the replies! Glad to hear these trucks aren’t picky. The water pump/timing belt is unknown at this point and is getting changed later this week for that reason. My local Walmart doesn’t sell the yzzd3 Toyota filter unfortunately. But I do have a Toyota dealership that I have to pass by over the next few days so I’ll check with them.

Thank you all for the replies! Glad to hear these trucks aren’t picky. The water pump/timing belt is unknown at this point and is getting changed later this week for that reason. My local Walmart doesn’t sell the yzzd3 Toyota filter unfortunately. But I do have a Toyota dealership that I have to pass by over the next few days so I’ll check with them.

keep us posted

How much do you drive? I just buy a case off Ebay or Amazon of OEM filters. A number of dealerships are on Ebay selling parts.

I've "switched" to Supertech 5W30 synthetic for my vehicles. Simple choice I think, although I alternate between 5k and 10k depending on my mood.

Get the Aisin kit :)

I bought a 2005 double cab new and drove it 120,000 miles and then gave it to my youngest son. The first few oil changes were on a 5000 mile interval and then I went to 10,000 until I gave it to my son. I used Mobil1 oil and any decent brand filter. My son still owns the truck and it's just over 225,000 miles. Due to his driving situation, Daniel switched it back over to 5000 miles intervals and I don't know a brand. The timing belt has been changed twice. Other than the paint falling off of it, the truck has been rock solid reliable.

I have been using M1 0w40 FS in the 4R's 4.7 for multiple years. Zero issues and really boring (ie: great!) UOAs. Using M1 rebates on 5 quart jugs from Walmart and ordering filters through a local dealership that does discount online sales at ~$4.00 per. Check with your local dealers to see if they offer this.

I stopped at my local dealer and picked up an oe filter for $5 plus tax. Oil I guess I’ll just choose a quality synthetic. And to the above comment on getting an aisin kit, I’m staring at one in my garage right now :) I ordered it from Amazon before I even had the truck lol. Figured worst case I get free returns so if I didn’t get the truck oh well.

Back