New tires for Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stock Michelin Pilot Sport tires are finished on my 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T at 16,000 miles so I am looking for a replacement. I don't want or need a pure sports summer tire like the M Pilots I want a more all season sports tire with a quiet ride with real good rain performance and tread life. Size is 245/40/19 and I am looking at the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring or the new Firestone Firehawk AS tire. Any advice on the two tires mentioned or any other options?

245/40-19

Get the Toyo Celsius

For an all-season you can use year-round where snow performance and 4-season capability is present, but you don't want to use a separate set of winter tires, get an all-season with the 3-peak symbol. There are a few other such tires, but he Toyo Celsius is the only one available in the size you need.

The Cooper CS5 Ultra is quite popular on here and you can get a great deal on them when they go on sale at DTD (they will be running a sale next week or so for their Labor Day sale)

I also like the Dunlop Signature HP. That's actually what I would have on my car if they actually made them in my size.

You may also consider minus-sizing to 18 or even 17-inch wheels. The smaller wheels will also allow high profile tires, with an actual sidewall.
Size like 245/50-17 or 245/45-18

I'd look on the TireRack website. They pit many tires they sell against each other and give a what we like, what we'd improve and a conclusion.
You may find one tire is loud but great in the wet, while one is quiet and sucks in the rain. Buy what matters to YOU.
And when someone says I had General RT Space X tires on my car and they were great, take it with a grain of salt.

I recently got the tire below from Discount Tire Direct, and it comes with a $70 rebate:

As skyactiv said, when you read the Tire Rack reviews, for the General AS-05 it ranked very close to the much more expensive BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires. General is made by Continental, good engineering. I like the tires so far on my car, but I defer to an actual Tire Rack test for the real answer.
So, if you don't mind spending more money, get the BF Goodrich's (Michelin-owned company), but the General AS-05 is a great all-around performer for much less.

camprunner, The Firestones you mentioned got dinged for wet-traction, so I'd avoid those. The Coopers could be OK, as I don't know of any test of them, but I've usually dismissed Cooper tires as not that great (compounds, quality). Coopers have had a lot of recalls over the past few years.

BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S or General G-MAX AS-05 gets my vote.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
The stock Michelin Pilot Sport tires are finished on my 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T at 16,000 miles so I am looking for a replacement. I don't want or need a pure sports summer tire like the M Pilots I want a more all season sports tire with a quiet ride with real good rain performance and tread life. Size is 245/40/19 and I am looking at the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring or the new Firestone Firehawk AS tire. Any advice on the two tires mentioned or any other options?

I’ve had a set of CS5 on my fusion in 225/50R17 and I loved them. Went with BFG Comp2 this time around for a more performance oriented tire. The CS5 have a great ride and good handling.

I'd loose the 40 aspect ratio in a heart beat, unless I never got near a curb or a rock ... At least 55 aspect ratio for comfort and quiet ride. So that would mean new wheels, but I can't see a 40 on anything but a sports car ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'd loose the 40 aspect ratio in a heart beat, unless I never got near a curb or a rock ... At least 55 aspect ratio for comfort and quiet ride. So that would mean new wheels, but I can't see a 40 on anything but a sports car ...

01.gif

So that would mean new wheels, but I can't see a 40 on anything but a sports car ...
Well, I mean it does have 400hp...

Originally Posted By: 3for3
They got a great review here: https://tirereviewsandmore.com/nokian-zline-as-reviews/
The "Tire Reviews" website is just some unknown Amazon re-seller affiliate, and they are anonymous. They don't identify who they are. I wouldn't take reviews from anonymous sources.

Tire Rack, on the other hand, has real reviews, a real reputation for years, and also outlines what tests they run and what cars they use in some detail. Trust Tire Rack, not this anonymous fluff from 'Tire Review', as they seem to just be editing marketing statements from the tire makers from what I've read.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So that would mean new wheels, but I can't see a 40 on anything but a sports car ...
Well, I mean it does have 400hp...
If its the AWD version, it does have 400 hp. If it's the FWD version of the MKZ, they limit power to a mere 350 hp. Weird, isn't it? I guess its because they don't want to warranty the full power routed through the front CV joints.
The full 400 ft-lbs (@ 2750 RPM!!!) is available in both versions, but heat generation in the front transaxle would be more if they granted the whole 400 hp to the FWD version. Also, traction control and/or wheel spin will limit torque naturally in the FWD versions; a FWD version would likely never feel over 300 ft-lbs (physics)! This thing really needs AWD there's so much power to route.

This is an amazing car, really. Too much fun. Its like the 2.7L Ecoboost, except this hot-rod Lincoln 3.0T has an aluminum block, not the heavy dense CGI in the 2.7L cousin. ... The sad part is, they put a fire breathing 400 hp, 400 ft-lb engine in a Fusion AWD here, and it still doesn't outrun a Tesla 0-60.

If you don't plan on using them in the snow, Michelin Pilot A/S 3. IF you do, Continental DWS 06.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
They got a great review here: https://tirereviewsandmore.com/nokian-zline-as-reviews/
The "Tire Reviews" website is just some unknown Amazon re-seller affiliate, and they are anonymous. They don't identify who they are. I wouldn't take reviews from anonymous sources.

Tire Rack, on the other hand, has real reviews, a real reputation for years, and also outlines what tests they run and what cars they use in some detail. Trust Tire Rack, not this anonymous fluff from 'Tire Review', as they seem to just be editing marketing statements from the tire makers from what I've read.

That site is Discount Tires's review site and has subjective bits that in my experience I've found accurate and/or helpful. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how empirical the test is if it doesn't perform similarly on the different car that someone owns. IMO, you can get a baseline, subjective reading but I would feel uncomfortable giving someone a recommendation based on a TR test if the car is significantly enough different than the test mule used by TR.

I've had the experience of the "glowing review" on TR only to perform like a POS on my vehicle which is not a 3 series BMW. In that sense, trust is relative.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

I have read reviews on that site that were not too flattering on some tires.
And you do know that there are people whose full time job is to write good reviews for hundreds of companies and products.
Dont believe all you read on the net.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
That site is Discount Tires's review site and has subjective bits that in my experience I've found accurate and/or helpful. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how empirical the test is if it doesn't perform similarly on the different car that someone owns.
What "test"? The website you refer to, tirereviewsandmore.com , does not "test" tires! They provide loose, subjective opinions from unknown analysis methods and seem to repeat marketing fluff. Very weird.

Nothing in their About Us section indicates who they are or who they are partnering with. Hiding that info is just bizarre.

Also, what makes you think they are the same as Discount Tire? Nothing on their site indicates that. No links from Discount Tire go to them.
When you do click on a link to "check prices" on a tire, they send you to Amazon.com, and often go to some 3rd party tire supply house (not Discount Tire).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back