new tires daughter's car

We had decent luck once with a Sumitomo replacement on a Forester. Often times the car handles and steers poorly without factory tuned tires.

Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

HTR as p02.jpg

Sumito

DT doesn't sell that model Firestone so can't compare there. Otoh, (as noted above) WM does show that tire in that size for ~$140 each. ~$560 for four before installation and taxes. Basic installation package there $72 for four. So that gives you some comparison to what you paid.

I hesitate to mention this, but apparently Amazon sells that Firestone tire in that size, but the price seems too good to be true. If interested, you can check it out for yourself.

I just went to check. It is their generic all-season tire.
There is every reason to go Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli, some Good Year.
Like noted above, no tire is magic bullet, BUT, and this is big BUT, brands that I listed perform better, especially in wet conditions, and they retain initial performance, especially Michelin, longer.
You already got the tire, use it, but next time, do research before you buy it.
Except when they dry rot.....

thanks guys!

yes. the sidewall does say "All Season"

live in Massachusetts. we get rain and snow. her driving is low speed, local short trips. really no highway high speed driving. I do like Michelin. just drove it now. no wobbles, no pulling. tires seem just fine. I would say she drives to preschool, stop and shop. speeds 30 mph and stop and go.

I just want her to be safe. last tires were old and bald. I've been telling her to replace them. i finally did

have a great day. bob

good morning!

Just had a nice local mechanic do all four tires. Subaru Forester. He said he likes "middle of the road" tires, like General and Firestone.

He did all four, balance, etc for about $800

I think that is a good price, do you?

Is there any need for me to pay more for Michelin?

I am only concerned about safety. she drives 2 little kids around.

THANK YOU and have a great day!
bob
I have used Firestone tires for years and never a problem

Except when they dry rot.....
I had numerous Michelin tires, and never had that issue.
Maybe bcs. I keep tires at most 6yrs (wife’s car) or obliterate them on my cars in 2-4yrs.
I don’t care about thread, tire on any of my vehicles is evicted after 6yrs from DOT.

Reactions: hrv
thanks guys!

live in Massachusetts. we get rain and snow. her driving is low speed, local short trips. really no highway high speed driving. I do like Michelin. just drove it now. no wobbles, no pulling. tires seem just fine. I would say she drives to preschool, stop and shop. speeds 30 mph and stop and go.

I just want her to be safe. last tires were old and bald. I've been telling her to replace them. i finally did

have a great day. bob
Having Tread is a big plus for safety. Good job!

No Husband to take care of these things for her? Sorry don't mean to pry.

Whew, I was pulling for you Robert. Gotta study a bit harder before you post your next tire purchase. Arco asking for your daughter’s marital status with the “I don’t mean to pry” disclaimer was the ultimate test, kudos to you for not taking the bait. I was gonna give you a solid B but asking what M+S meant knocked you down to a C+. Overall, not bad. Any post you can walk away from…

Those are a solidly decent but meh tire. And even so, a tire shop would push a “better” Chinese tire(Sailun, Milestar, WestLake) over these for price.

Compared to a a Chinesium tire, at least they are made in the US or Mexico and don’t look like they are hazardous when wet. Many Chinesium tires use a clone of older Michelin or Conti compounds but are a few generations behind for tread and siping.

hahahahaha! Aredeeem! you are a tough grader!! I want to get a B. !!!!

i looked up 3623 on the tire

that means made the 36th week of 2023!!! I want a grade upgrade!!

her last tires were original, 2017 or earlier. i like the idea of changing tires at 5 years. thanks edyvw

my wife just took the car, but I THINK it said made in Argentina? possible. will check when she returns.

maybe next time Michelin!!!!

Bob

good morning!

Just had a nice local mechanic do all four tires. Subaru Forester. He said he likes "middle of the road" tires, like General and Firestone.

He did all four, balance, etc for about $800

I think that is a good price, do you?

Is there any need for me to pay more for Michelin?

I am only concerned about safety. she drives 2 little kids around.

THANK YOU and have a great day!
bob
seems like you have this 100% backwards.. the time to type and post asking questions is before buying tires ;)

You got some round n blacks, but being new will probably be adequate at least for a couple years.. if not great in winter.

Congratulations on buying one of the worst named tires ever..

Analogy: buying a "Ford Automobile" that "automobile" actually the model name... makes no sense.

If you search firestone all season your tires are the 16th result for me.... eek.

Since its already a done deal and you accepted whatever the mechanic could get cheapest/best profit margin on.. run them and ask questions before buying next time might be a good idea.:unsure:

Last edited:

her last tires were original, 2017 or earlier. i like the idea of changing tires at 5 years. thanks edyvw

my wife just took the car, but I THINK it said made in Argentina? possible. will check when she returns.

Bob
I definitely agree with: decent new, is FAR better than old.
My point was that bang for a buck is definitely not there.
But, again, they are new, Firestone, as noted above, is not hazard in wet.
As for years, I generally go 5yrs on all other tires but Michelin, them I change after 6. My wife never does enough miles to wear them out before that time, and I use snows in winter, so one might say I “waste” tire. But, when it comes to tires, it is absolutely the most important safety item on the vehicle! No joking around that.

thanks guys!

have a great day. bob
If any of that local driving is during heavy rain or snow (even light snow), I would've gone with the Firestone Weathergrip.

But I guess anything is better than old and bald tires.

I discontinued the use of Michelin because of the cracking. They would do nothing under warranty. My new car came with Michelin. I will see how they do...

Bob
Don’t get me wrong. You get an A+/just for posting. This is a tough crowd period! I’m sure your tires/price are competitive. I’m currently “running” Crossmax that cost me $50 apiece and $15 to mount and balance.

IMG_3052.jpeg

Back