new tires daughter's car

good morning!

Just had a nice local mechanic do all four tires. Subaru Forester. He said he likes "middle of the road" tires, like General and Firestone.

He did all four, balance, etc for about $800

I think that is a good price, do you?

Is there any need for me to pay more for Michelin?

I am only concerned about safety. she drives 2 little kids around.

THANK YOU and have a great day!
bob

good morning!

Just had a nice local mechanic do all four tires. Subaru Forester. He said he likes "middle of the road" tires, like General and Firestone.

bob
You forgot to mention what tires were installed.

This is what they would be from me.

fs.JPG

Post a picture or better details of the tire. Firestone makes many all season tires. A bit late to question about if a good deal or not unless you plan to get money back somehow.

The things I always ask:
Where do you live? is Snow/winter a concern? How does she drive (Local/long distance)? what are her priorities? Wet grip/dry grip/winter grip/long life/noise/ride comfort/cheapest price/road hazard warranty/local shop for rotations/repairs. What did she like or not like about what she had on it?

All tires are mostly round and black. There are exceptions. Those are all things I ask before I recommend tires to others.

99 is the load index
T is speed rating
M+S is pretty old as a mud and snow rating (or all season) to say that has better grip/tread pattern than I think old bias ply tires with straight ribs.

Tire Rack How to read a sidewall

A little late to ask, Michelin is not a magic bullet.

$800 sounds expensive to me for 'middle of the road' tires. maybe $100 too much installed - not terrible.

Are those Destination LE? I had those on my truck they were O.K. General AltiMax RT43 used to be a favourite on the forum. I don't think she would notice.

Did you drive it after the install to make sure there was no wobble or pull? Takes a couple weeks to scrub in the new tread, they sometimes can feel "greasy" in the meantime.

To be more accurate, is the tire sidewall name, "All Season" or is that just the generic type Firestone tire it is? If former, need sidewall name to compare.

The model is a Firestone All Season
That is not a model. Any more than “Levis jeans” is a model. Levi 501 button fly? Levi 550 relaxed fit with a zipper? Or an “Apple IPhone” - which iPhone? A 13? A 15 Pro?

That is a description. A category. Manufacturer, and type. Without knowing a model, you have no idea how to compare price.

If you said, “I got an Apple iPhone for $800.” Then we would be equally unable to determine if you got a screaming deal on a 15 Pro 512GB or if you paid too much for a 13 128GB

An IPhone varies in price depending on the model.

So do tires.

Look, you’re a good Dad, taking care of your daughter. You trust this guy. She’s got new tires. She’s taken care of, so in the big picture, you did well.

But nobody can answer your specific question without the appropriate detail.

That is not a model. Any more than “Levis jeans” is a model. Levi 501 button fly? Levi 550 relaxed fit with a zipper? Or an “Apple IPhone” - which iPhone? A 13? A 15 Pro?

That is a description. A category. Manufacturer, and type. Without knowing a model, you have no idea how to compare price.

If you said, “I got an Apple iPhone for $800.” Then we would be equally unable to determine if you got a screaming deal on a 15 Pro 512GB or if you paid too much for a 13 128GB

An IPhone varies in price depending on the model.

So do tires.

Look, you’re a good Dad, taking care of your daughter. You trust this guy. She’s got new tires. She’s taken care of, so in the big picture, you did well.

But nobody can answer your specific question without the appropriate detail.
Surprisingly it is.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 095522.jpg

good morning!

bob
I just went to check. It is their generic all-season tire.
There is every reason to go Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli, some Good Year.
Like noted above, no tire is magic bullet, BUT, and this is big BUT, brands that I listed perform better, especially in wet conditions, and they retain initial performance, especially Michelin, longer.
You already got the tire, use it, but next time, do research before you buy it.

Back