New tires... Cooper CS5 vs Pirelli P4 and others

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market to replace the tires on my Buick. I bought it with 2 Goodyear Integrity and 2 Cooper Response and am looking at a new set of 4 tires. I've read reviews that show the Integrity as mediocre at best, and the Response was a Sears-only low-level tire. So, I'd like to upgrade to a new set. P225/60R16.
Here are my objectives:

- Quiet (least possible road noise)
- Comfortable (don't want a hard, harsh-riding tire)-keep it riding like a Buick
- Snow traction (they will be used year-round)
- Price: looking to spend $100-140 per tire, plus install

I have access to Discount Tire, Mills Fleet Farm, and Sam's Club all a half-hour away, or a few smaller chain shops in town. I could also buy online and have my mechanic install them.
I've done some shopping and here's what I came up with as my options (approx. total OTD price):

-Cooper CS5 Grand Touring (80k mile warranty)- Fleet Farm- $420, minus a $70 rebate from Cooper
Fleet Farm offers lifetime rotations and balancing. (this looks like my best option?)

-Goodyear Assurance All-Season (65k mile warranty)- Sam's- $490, minus an $80 savings

-Pirelli P4 Four Season Plus (90k mile warranty)- Sam's- $450, minus an $80 savings
Sams does lifetime rotations and balancing, too.

-Michelin Defender XT (90k mile warranty)- Sam's- $600, minus a $70 savings

-Hankook Optimo H727 (100k mile warranty)- $400- buy online, have installed by mechanic

My top two right now are the CS5 Grand and the Pirelli P4
Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

The General RT43 scores at the top of all the categories in Consumer Reports. Even in the ice braking category where the CS5 gets a poor score. All the categories it does well.

General Altimax RT43. I've got a set on my Camry, pretty good tire. Not sporty but very smooth and quiet. Supposed to be great in snow. And they're priced really good.

Also have a set on my mom's Jeep Patriot and the 1970 VW Beetle.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The General RT43 scores at the top of all the categories in Consumer Reports. Even in the ice braking category where the CS5 gets a poor score. All the categories it does well.

+1

I'd go CS5 out of the options listed. Excellent wet traction, and a temp rating of A seal it for me. Plus, IIRC, Fleet Farm is adding a $50 gift card in addition to the $70 rebate.

I'd agree, though that the RT43 is one to consider, esp up here in MN

CS5, but ive also heard the P4's were very good. I bought some Cooper RS3A's and thought they were better than the Pirelli P7's. Although if you are concerned about ride comfort, the P7's were very smooth but I found them weak with wet traction and tread life was not great. Wore out faster than I expected too. Look for a touring tire.

General RT43's. Ive had mine for over 20k miles and im still happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back