New Tire Time Questions

I have a stock 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I currently have Bridgestone Revo 3s on it, and am extremely unhappy with this tire. I've purchased multiple sets of Revo, Revo2, and now Revo3 tires since the Revo first came out. I was so happy with this tire on multiple vehicles from F150s, to Jeep Wranglers that I never seriously considered another tire in 20 odd years. That happiness has come to an abrupt end.

The Revo3s I have on my Tacoma have seen nothing but paved roads, were rotated every 5,000 miles, yet the tread is half way gone in under 15,000 miles. The tire has also not been a good performer in rain or any other inclement weather. In fact, the factory Goodyears the truck came with were better tires, and I've never had much good to say about Goodyear.

The tire shop is working with me a bit, they seem to like the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, but this is based upon the sales guy experience with Falken tires on his car. I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T III. While I haven't done much with my truck the past couple years, I do like to drive in the sand, on and around the Washington and Oregon coast in permissible areas. That's about the extent of my off roading other than the occasional fishing trip where I may encounter a bit of mud on a maintained trail, however this is rare.

I want a tire that will last 50K or longer before I need to replace it. Amy comments about tread life or other experiences with either of these tires is greatly appreciated!

I have a stock 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I currently have Bridgestone Revo 3s on it, and am extremely unhappy with this tire. I've purchased multiple sets of Revo, Revo2, and now Revo3 tires since the Revo first came out. I was so happy with this tire on multiple vehicles from F150s, to Jeep Wranglers that I never seriously considered another tire in 20 odd years. That happiness has come to an abrupt end.

The Revo3s I have on my Tacoma have seen nothing but paved roads, were rotated every 5,000 miles, yet the tread is half way gone in under 15,000 miles. The tire has also not been a good performer in rain or any other inclement weather. In fact, the factory Goodyears the truck came with were better tires, and I've never had much good to say about Goodyear.

The tire shop is working with me a bit, they seem to like the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, but this is based upon the sales guy experience with Falken tires on his car. I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T III. While I haven't done much with my truck the past couple years, I do like to drive in the sand, on and around the Washington and Oregon coast in permissible areas. That's about the extent of my off roading other than the occasional fishing trip where I may encounter a bit of mud on a maintained trail, however this is rare.

I want a tire that will last 50K or longer before I need to replace it. Amy comments about tread life or other experiences with either of these tires is greatly appreciated!
Has anyone ever gotten 50k from an AT truck tire? They always claim you can , but I have never seen it. Maybe if all highway miles? I usually get around 35-40k before they are worthless for winter driving.

Has anyone ever gotten 50k from an AT truck tire? They always claim you can , but I have never seen it. Maybe if all highway miles? I usually get around 35-40k before they are worthless for winter driving.
Yup, got 80K out of a set of Nexen Rodian AT Pro RA8 on the Wife's 2014 Armada. Replaced the OEM Michelin's (that lasted 31K) with them. Just bought another set because they have been a great tire.

Yup, got 80K out of a set of Nexen Rodian AT Pro RA8 on the Wife's 2014 Armada. Replaced the OEM Michelin's (that lasted 31K) with them. Just bought another set because they have been a great tire.
I guess I have heard of Michelins lasting a long time, but around here they get a bad rap for being pretty hard rubber and no the greatest on ice and snow.

I have both on different trucks. I don't have enough miles on the Toyo's to tell you how long they will wear, and I think I'll get 40,000 easy out of the Wildpeaks. Both are average in snow and ok for all terrains in mud. Just guessing, but I think the Toyo's would be better aired down in the sand.

Isnt Grip and Life a trade off? Tires with soft rubber are going to perform better but wont go 50k. I suspect that the best AT tires don't have a very long life becuase they trade life for grip.

If you’re just driving on nothing but paved roads, why get an A/T tire again? Why not a highway tire?

I got 50K out of several sets of Revo, and Revo 2 tires.

If you’re just driving on nothing but paved roads, why get an A/T tire again? Why not a highway tire?
Because from time to time I do go fishing or hunting and want the A/T type tires for driving. This particular truck hasn't been off the beraten path due to life and other events. These events have changed and I'm free to do and go where I want now.

I would steer clear of the Falken Wildpeak to be fair I don’t have personal experience with them but they are our second most returned tire at my dealership with Michelin CrossClimate 2 being the first. A lot of the Falken tires have balance issues in my experience too. They are mostly returned for noise and ride. I think the Toyo tires you listed would work well. My suggestion would be something like the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 or something similar. Those are excellent tires. And have optional white lettering if you prefer that like I do.

Because from time to time I do go fishing or hunting and want the A/T type tires for driving. This particular truck hasn't been off the beraten path due to life and other events. These events have changed and I'm free to do and go where I want now.
Basic dirt roads and gravel roads... you don't technically don't need A/T tires for that.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S would be a good choice and durable also. They'll probably crack before they wear out.

If you intend to drive in off-road areas that justify TRD Pro badge... then yes, get an A/T tire. If you want to max out the traction off road, then you give up treadlife, like the BFG KO2. But BFG has the Trail Terrain T/A, which is more of a tweener between an A/T and a highway tire. middle of the tread is more A/T, but the shoulder blocks are connected for better street handling and decent wear properties.

I picked the General ATx for my personal truck but I’d say those, the K02 or the toyo at3 would be my top 3 for a 1/2 ton or smaller vehicle. We were seeing treadlife issues out of the KO2 but that was on F350s, shouldn’t be a problem on your Tacoma.

From mine and other coworkers opinions the ATx is quieter than the toyo at3 when both are new. Both are all around excellent though. The Falken I’ve not seen last quite as long as these two. Also they’re made in Indonesia vs USA for the Toyo and General.

I did get 50k+ out of my last set of AT tires on a 1/2 ton 4x4 they were General at2. I sold that truck with a set of General ATx on it at 35k miles they were measuring at 8 & 9/32 of tread remaining. I rotate my tires every 5k though. I have since I started doing 5k oil changes, before that it was every other LOF for 6k tire rotations.

I would steer clear of the Falken Wildpeak to be fair I don’t have personal experience with them but they are our second most returned tire at my dealership with Michelin CrossClimate 2 being the first. A lot of the Falken tires have balance issues in my experience too. They are mostly returned for noise and ride. I think the Toyo tires you listed would work well. My suggestion would be something like the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 or something similar. Those are excellent tires. And have optional white lettering if you prefer that like I do.
It’s always funny hearing everyone else’s real world experience with tires. For us the biggest problem child was the Cooper At3. We did not even carry the Cooper line but would get “wheel bearing noise” complaints that turned out to be cupped out Cooper AT3’s quite frequently. If you look online though that tire gets rave reviews especially in the Facebook groups 🤷‍♂️

I really liked those toyos on my Jeep. They are fairly off-roady but good on road.. nice 5 block non ribbed tread pattern ( similar to bfg ko2)

The issue is the price always seems super high with no sales...which leads to other options at 2/3 the cost.
In your size it doesnt seem to be as big an issue as others. (the Ram tire size is 40% more than some other good tire options)

The falkens seem well liked on the jeep cherokee forum I am active on.
also the
SUMITOMO ENCOUNTER AT is very good and often overlooked..

The new firestone destination AT2 is improved and while not my favorite tire if it was a good enough deal I would have no issue running them.

Last edited:
coopers are amazing but do feather and cup if your alignment is off by a little bit. michelins don't wear, they crack. no experience with the other tires mentioned

Thanks for the comments, and info, I'm going with the Toyo Open Country A/T III. Most of the time I do not need at A/T tire, but sometimes I do, and I've been buying such tires for a long time now.

This purchase will bring to an end my 3 odd year history of buying only Bridgestone Firestone tires. I started with Firestones, and when I was a little bit better off switched to Bridgestone back when they came wrapped in protective paper. My experience with this set of Bridgestone tires and the company has likely turned me away for good.

Brand loyalty seems to be pointless anymore.

I LOVED the Revo 2 and had three sets. my brother and my son both have the falkens - they get a lot of praise, but the set on my son’s 4Runner makes a racket.

yokohama geolander g015 is one of my top picks, as well as the continental all terrain. Both would serve you well.

You need H/T tire.
Michelin Defender or Continental Terraincontact H/T will do a trick. What you need is tire that is not easily punctured. Revo3 type of tires are for serious off roading and you are giving up a lot in performance on road.H/T tires are designed for light off roading.
If you still want A/T that is good on road performer, Continental Terraincontact A/T and Michelin A/T2 are IMO way to go.
But, again, unless you are rock crawling, H/T is way to go.

Back