New Tire Purchase question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, need your advice again.

Right now I have Firestone Affinity size 195/65/R15 on my toyota corolla. I would like to get size 205. From what I have been told I should go with 205/60/R15 so it doesn't throw the ratio off to much. Would I be better off to just keep the 195 ? I would like a little wider tire.

Either way I am going to discount tire to get some new ones.

why wider? I doubt going from 195 to 205 is going to do much ofanything besides drop your MPG.

There are lots of speedometer error calculators. I think the one at miata.net works pretty well...

ok, this is where Im confused. How would the mpg drop with a wider tire? And would the ride be better with the wider tire? I have heard that a little wider tire would stop that Drifting feeling on the hwy. A little more stability

Wider tires create more rolling resistance therefore requiring more engine power which equates to more gasoline being burned.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
ok, this is where Im confused. How would the mpg drop with a wider tire?

Wider tire = more rolling resistance, hence negative effect on MPG. How noticeable will this be? Probably not very, but a lot depends on a specific tire model as well, not just dimensions.

Quote:
And would the ride be better with the wider tire? I have heard that a little wider tire would stop that Drifting feeling on the hwy. A little more stability

Again, the difference will probably be hard to notice, and a lot depends on a specific tire model - some may feel more stable/composed than others, dimensions aside.

very good. Thanks for the info. the 215 sounds like a good match then.

Assuming your rims are wide enough to support them, and that you have enough clearance in the wheel wells. Do you?

yeah, that is a major change, and you need to do some more checking to be definite... otherwise you can have issues.

That is a very good question. If not I will just go with the oem 195. Not that big of a deal. But I was just more concern with ride comfort and stability then mpg. If I drop lets say 2 mpg I will not sweat that. Any idea what kind of milage drop I could except from going from 195 to 215?

These are the rims I have on my corolla

Wheel Thumbnail Image

Manufacturer's Logo
MB Wheels Seven X
15X6.5 4-100/11438SM

Depending on how you drive, I would have to say 10-15 percent..

It would just make more sens to upgrade your tire....

wow, that much huh? ok, well I will just stay with the orig size. One more for you. I want the most comfortable ride i can get, considering its a corolla and not a Cadillac. Would the Michelin Primacy be a good choice for quiet and soft ride?

That is a very good question. If not I will just go with the oem 195. Not that big of a deal. But I was just more concern with ride comfort and stability then mpg.

I would just stick with the OEM size, but pick a tire with stiffer sidewalls - Bridgestone RE960 for example. That should help improve stability. However, stiffer sidewalls may negatively affect ride comfort, but we're talking about pretty high profile here, so it shouldn't be too bad. My g/f has them in size 195/65/15 on her Jetta, and I wouldn't say they're uncomfortable. Then again, I don't know how they compare to the Affinitys that you currently own. I am used to pretty stiff tires in general.

I think ride comfort would depend on how stiff the side wall is. I would believe that a decent non-high performance passenger car tire would yield a better ride quality.

I would pick out a michelin tire, Ive always had incredible ride quality, most likely due to softer balloon sidewalls. Most tire shops (not Walmart or Sam's) will trial fit a certain size if you insist and will let run whatever brand you settle on for a period of time, or swap them out to something else if not satisfied.

Yeah, Discount tire is good with that.. They said I could bring them back and get a different set of tires if I wasn't happy with them. The Primacy's are pretty pricey. But I think they will give the best ride. I know there is some other Michelins like the pilot and symmetry.

Just put the two tires next to each other and you will see the 205/60 is much beefier. That is a common upgrade that works great. Forget about the mpg theory junk, there will be no difference. More traction and better ride over potholes is WELL worth it. The tires will even wear longer. Trust me.

There are a lot of choices in that size. My fav is Goodyear Eagle GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back