New Taco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may have followed the search for my 4x4 F-150 last year. My wife said at the time that I cheaped out and that I should have bought a better truck, well she was right.
spankme2.gif
The F-150 was a decent truck and great for local use but it was developing some issues and a 12 year old truck is not ideal for long trips towing a trailer.

So I relented this week and bought a new Tacoma. The 1988 Toyota pickup I bought lasted me 335k miles so it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that it would be a Toyota. I wanted an access cab, v6, 4x4, SR5, manual transmission in red. I also wanted to get a 2015 before the 2016 with the new engine came out.

It turns out that finding a unicorn is easier than finding the truck I wanted.
grin2.gif
But patience paid off, I finally found one and proceeded to make it my own!

2015-07-20%2022.08.46-XL.jpg

Love your new truck and love that shade of red!! Those are my fave trucks and is exactly what I'd get if I ever buy a truck.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I have always been a huge Tacoma/hi luxe fan. How's the gearbox?

It's a little notchy and the throws are a little on the long side for my liking. I think the notchiness will go away over time and I can live with the throws in a truck.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Beautiful truck. I'll bet the V6 - 5spd combination is rare in itself.

Look at the knob closer. It goes beyond 5.
wink.gif

Were you the guy that had the white F-150?

My good friend has had Toyotas all his life. Owned a Cherokee for a while, but still owned a Toyota during that time too. All 5 speeds. Very clean trucks. His last Toyota purchase looked just like this one except it is light silver.. and an automatic. His wifey said no to a manual. Lol.

He put some different Toyota rims on his too and kept the steelies for a winter set.

Finding a newer, manual trans pickup is like finding a needle in a haystack. Most have even stopped making them. I searched years for mine, but I ended up with everything I wanted and a lot more. The end product is worth the wait, enjoy!

That's a 2015? I owned a 2005 that was IDENTICAL looking to that one. Same color too. Weird that they haven't updated the look in 10 years.

Beautiful truck! My Taco is silver but I wanted the red like yours. I just couldn't find a red one with the equipment I wanted.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Some of you may have followed the search for my 4x4 F-150 last year. My wife said at the time that I cheaped out and that I should have bought a better truck, well she was right.
spankme2.gif
The F-150 was a decent truck and great for local use but it was developing some issues and a 12 year old truck is not ideal for long trips towing a trailer.

Nice looking truck will give you tons of years of good service.

I camp a lot and there are tons of trucks well over 12 years old towing stuff. Depends on how the truck was maintained.
Just got back from 1200 mile each way trip in my 13 year old truck. Truck I had before that was 21 years old when took it on a 3000 mile round trip to Yellowstone.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Were you the guy that had the white F-150?

Yep, that was me.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
spankme2.gif

Nice looking truck will give you tons of years of good service.

I camp a lot and there are tons of trucks well over 12 years old towing stuff. Depends on how the truck was maintained.
Just got back from 1200 mile each way trip in my 13 year old truck. Truck I had before that was 21 years old when took it on a 3000 mile round trip to Yellowstone.

You're absolutely right, just because a truck is older doesn't mean that it can't be reliable. Unfortunately, I bought my Ford used last year and it kept nickel and diming me with little stuff that I just got tired of dealing with.

I tend to do best when I buy new and keep it for a loooong time.

Thanks for all the well wishes, fellas.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back