New Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Subaru use a special "break in oil"? Any other Subaru owners notice their Subaru prefers a certain oil brand? I have the 2.5 engine.

Thanks

Nope. Good old oil with assembly lube from the part mixed in.

Subarus are EASY on the oil. Any SM 5w-30 will do you fine.

WATCH out for the filter. Make sure you get the short ones as the headers/cats wrap around it and if its too long, you will cook the filter.

If you have a Turbo, then a blend or syn with a 3750 OCI MAX is needed.

Take care and enjoy the new ride! (what did you get?)

Bill

As far as different brands/grades are concerned I have been using various brands of regular ole dino oil in my Subaru for over 413,000 miles now with no problems. Lately I've been sticking with Chevron Supreme dino oil because it's regularly $13.99 for a 5qt jug. Just buy an oil that meets the quality specs listed in your manual. Usually it's ust API SM. If you have a turbo 2.5 then I'd strongly consider going full synthetic; otherwise, dino oil does just fine.

Also, I prefer to stick with genuine Subaru oil filters. There's a mile long debate about aftermarket oil filters here, but the short and skinny of it all is Subaru oil filters are speced for your Subaru. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Soobs
If you bought it new then yes it does have break-in oil in it. You need to run it on that oil for the full manufacturer break-in period. After that just use what you car's manual recommends (which is probably 5w-30).

I changed out my factory fill @ 1200 miles and all is fine.

Here is the UOA of the NOT a break in oil and comments;

1200 factory fill UOA Subaru

Change it when you want to and as far as the filters, there are hundreds of thousands of Subarus NOT running factory filters and I'm still looking for all the dead Subarus on the side of the road due to NOT running a factory filter.

Bill

Also, I prefer to stick with genuine Subaru oil filters. There's a mile long debate about aftermarket oil filters here, but the short and skinny of it all is Subaru oil filters are speced for your Subaru. :)

So other oil filters won't work in a Subaru? Can you post your proof?

We have a noisy 09 Forester PZEV, so I've been using Rotella cj-4/SM 10w30 to good effect. Got me 2 MPG over Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30. We average 30 MPG on a stick car with 70mph highway and 35mph backroad mix or 70 miles per day commute. Still waiting for the car to throw a rod though! Factory "Fram" blue oil filter works fine on a 5K OCI, I would use something else on a 7.5 k or longer syn OCI though. Fram XG maybe?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

What does "work" mean? I tried my trusty WIX 51365 and that leaked then a larger 51356 and that leaked - Used the service #...12A no problem. Subaru use a very high bypass setting(22-23psid) and a high volume oil pump, Fuji state that only their filter has been tested to be adequate. It has a special P-ring mount gasket with a torque stop feature. That said, I read that the Purolator Prem has a "close enough" bypass of around 18 PSID. How important is the high bypass spec? More so on turbo with oiler banjo fitting filter screen prone to blockage and subsequent turbo failure. I would haunt a Subaru forum. BTW I've owned six subarus from Loyale to Imprezas to SVX to Forester.

Last edited:
Great car with a great engine. Read the owners manual and rely on it rather than self appointed experts. I preferred OEM oil filters( bypass settings) and Mobil 5000 5w30 in my 2000 Forester. Still running the neighborhood in the hands of teenagers with 240,000 + miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That's not what I said at all. Some oil filters work better than others. More specifically Subaru's OEM oil filters are made to spec by Honeywell with data and quality testing from Subaru engineers for your engine; whereas, a specific Wix/Bosch/Fram/Purolater is a 'one-application-fits-all' filter that can be used on many different vehicles.

In the grand scheme of things it really probably makes little to no difference for folks that don't drive with the pedal to the floor the majority of the time, but a Subaru oil filter costs the same as a good quality Purolator or Wix so I'm more prone to just buy the one that was specifically speced-out for my car.

I've sent an email to Purolater to see what their takes is on all this and I'll post their reply if/when I get it...

Here's the thread I was referring to earlier: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1410171#Post1410171

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
We have a noisy 09 Forester PZEV, so I've been using Rotella cj-4/SM 10w30 to good effect. Got me 2 MPG over Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30. We average 30 MPG on a stick car with 70mph highway and 35mph backroad mix or 70 miles per day commute. Still waiting for the car to throw a rod though! Factory "Fram" blue oil filter works fine on a 5K OCI, I would use something else on a 7.5 k or longer syn OCI though. Fram XG maybe?

I've got an '03 Forester with the much debated piston slap at warm up, is that what your talking about with the "noisy 09"?

Our Subaru does not seem like the quietest thing in the world, although it is pretty serene inside the car under most conditions.
2.5 liters is on the large size for a four, HO or not. The larger Hondas, like our current 2.2 and 2.4 are nothing like as smooth as our old 1500 Civics, for example, even with balance shafts.
I have selected GC for this reason. It is fairly thick and so should damp down any noise.
I changed the factory fill at 990 miles, ran QS 10W-40 for the next 3K, mainly because I had it and Subaru allows it, and then ran 5K on QTorque 5W-30, because I had it.
I then put the car on a GC diet at 9K.
It will get its second fill of GC at 14K, probably in December.
I have been using M1 filters.
Now, is it just my impression, or does the flat four, even NA, reach unusually high bulk oil temperatures?
I ask because on the three drains I have done, the oil has always come out like water. This could be because, while the drain plug has a 17mm head, like any Honda, it is unusually large in diameter, which may allow the oil to drain more quickly, which would give me the impression that the oil is unusally thin.
I always drain all engines hot. That way, you get the opportunity to scald your hands, and to singe your fingertips on the filter:).

There are a lot of Subaru owners it seems on this board. Maybe I just notice it more. I'm about at the end of my summer fill of 15W40 Tection (cause I had it and I could). Next fill is 5w-30 and I use a Pure One PL14460 on both the 08 Impreza and 09 Outback. I'm in the camp that this engine likes a bit higher viscosity than the standard 30 weight. I'm itching to try Maxlife 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
There are a lot of Subaru owners it seems on this board. Maybe I just notice it more. I'm about at the end of my summer fill of 15W40 Tection (cause I had it and I could). Next fill is 5w-30 and I use a Pure One PL14460 on both the 08 Impreza and 09 Outback. I'm in the camp that this engine likes a bit higher viscosity than the standard 30 weight. I'm itching to try Maxlife 10W-30.
Hmmm, I thought the 14460 doesn't fit the 2.5L due to header clearance?

I have 30k+ miles on PP 5w30 in my 08 Forester. Yes, it's a noisy engine if you compare it to a Honda at low rpm.. at higher rpm is where it shines. Where my 2.4 liter crv would get scary sounding at high rpms, the boxer starts to show it's true self. I just love it... especially after 3000 rpms! UOA on PP have been stellar, even during a harsh winter.

That being said, I have been eyeballing Rotella 5w40 lately, but it will be another 40k miles before I run out of my PP stash.

Listen to Bill... or do what I do if you're a nut.. like me
wink.gif

I use the Tokyo Roki black filters currently. 6 left to go... after that I'm going with the (gasp) OEM Honeywell filters.

Love your Subie... otherwise sell her to someone who will and buy a Honda lol

[/quote]Hmmm, I thought the 14460 doesn't fit the 2.5L due to header clearance? [/quote]

On the NA it fits just fine. I don't know where the info about it not fitting came from, but it isn't true for my 2 Subies. There is more than enough room to mount through the exhaust tubing, the gasket is the same size as OE, and there is no other interference with the block or mounting boss. On the turbo it is my understanding that the oil cooler interferes, but I don't have one to try. The OEM (AA031)6 cylinder filter also fits the NA as well, but I can't find any current specs on relief valve or filtration efficiency so I've gone with the PO.

Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I've got an '03 Forester with the much debated piston slap at warm up, is that what your talking about with the "noisy 09"?
Was quiet on the test drive, then on the way home it started making a sound like a rod big end knock at light throttle before changing gears. The breakin oil is near 20wt. May have damaged something. Had many of these engine and none make this rap sound. Brough it back right away and went for a ride with the Service Manager; he said - " cant do anything now, and hey you got a warranty, we'll take care of it if it goes". This is unacceptable, but getting noisy engines fixed with no other related issues is tough because its a qualitative call. By the way these are NOT great engines in 2.5L form, they have major HG and piston problems and have been blowing up left and right. There was a big bad batch of misassembled, poor QA/QC turbo engines that blew w/in a couple thousand miles due to crank bearing issues. The 2.2L was the best variant for the NA motor.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
Hmmm, I thought the 14460 doesn't fit the 2.5L due to header clearance?

On the NA it fits just fine. I don't know where the info about it not fitting came from, but it isn't true for my 2 Subies. There is more than enough room to mount through the exhaust tubing, the gasket is the same size as OE, and there is no other interference with the block or mounting boss. On the turbo it is my understanding that the oil cooler interferes, but I don't have one to try. The OEM (AA031)6 cylinder filter also fits the NA as well, but I can't find any current specs on relief valve or filtration efficiency so I've gone with the PO.
Ah, that makes sense. On the 2.5L turbos in the 05+ LGT and the 08+ WRX, there is no oil cooler, it is the actual header that would interfere with the big can 14460. Didn't realize both of yours were NA. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey ARCO,

I've heard that complaint in the pzev automatic. Try high octane gas. For some reason the pzev version likes to lock out the torque converter too early and at low rpm you can get some pinging/knock. High octane gas appears to resolve this issue, as well as changing driving style. I believe the auto has a 'sport' mode, which also helps. Check out this thread:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/...ty-issue-58405/

It's a long thread, but could have some answers to your issues.

I personally put 91 octane in my Forester. It runs much better and I've calculated better gas mileage as a result, which appears to pay for the high octane gas cost difference.

Oh, and be sure to change out your rear diff fluid after 10k. What came out of mine what all wrong at 10k miles. The break-in sheds tons of wear metals in the rear diff.

There is THREE Subarus in my house with the 2.5...

-2005 Legacy 2.5i
-2005 STi
-2008 STi

I use mobil1 0w40...it's a groupIV oil and it seems like the subbies LOVE the light 40weight after years of trying different oils... Also I use a longer PureONE 14610 filter without any problems!
In the N/A Legacy I leave it for 10,000 miles because it's so easy on oil.. but it needs some make-up oil.
In the turbos, 5000 miles because we are really tough on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back