Is an early oil change a good idea?

Plus 1. Just bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado with 69,000 miles. The oil that drained out looked new but I changed it to Valvoline RP and a AC PF30 oil filter and changed the air and cabin filter as well. I have a gallon of Mobil Delvac1 75w90 on the shelf for the diff and am planning on a transmission fluid change soon. A pic of the old cabin filter. :oops:

Doesn't that truck require dexos? the valvoline website says R&P isn't dexos approved

Doesn't that truck require dexos? the valvoline website says R&P isn't dexos approved
Yes. I just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and not knowing it’s exact service history, I decided to go with the R&P because of the DI 4.3 and Valvolines claim of its cleaning abilities over 4 OCI’s. My old Chevy 5.3 had 248,000 miles on the odometer and had a steady diet of Valvoline Maxlife semi synthetic 5w30 which is not Dexos approved IIRC.

Congrats on the new truck! That's a great decision to go with the R&P, considering the unknown service history. Valvoline Maxlife did wonders for your old Chevy, so I'm sure it'll do the same for this one.

Plus 1. Just bought a 2019 Chevy Silverado with 69,000 miles. The oil that drained out looked new but I changed it to Valvoline RP and a AC PF30 oil filter and changed the air and cabin filter as well. I have a gallon of Mobil Delvac1 75w90 on the shelf for the diff and am planning on a transmission fluid change soon. A pic of the old cabin filter. :oops:

View attachment 224771

View attachment 224772
Nice truck. Is that two-wheel drive? I'm guessing the old cabin filter was still decent?

Nice truck. Is that two-wheel drive? I'm guessing the old cabin filter was still decent?
Yes, two wheel drive 4.3 V6. No, the cabin filter was nasty!

IMG_1498.jpeg

I had a 4.3 Chevy for 17 years. It's one of GM's best V6s ever. Intake gaskets were a pita with it back then. So was the blower motors and shutter door for the heat & defrost. I had a long spell only able to get bi-level air circulation. I am a mouth breather so Michigan winters would fog-up the interior glass easily using only bi-level.
I'm sure they re much gooder now......

Last edited:
Whenever I buy a used car I always change the oil as soon as possible as I don’t know for certain when it was previously done, nor do I know if they used a quality synthetic or just some bulk conventional. As a self proclaimed oil nerd I just can’t be driving a car that I own and not knowing what oil is in there 🤣
I know what you mean. When my son got his 2019 Santa Fe from Car Max, It had the invoice for where CarMax had just changed the oil and when I checked the dipstick it was at the full line and nice and golden, so I knew the oil, at least, was changed. Oil used, according to invoice, was safety kleen 5W-20. Never seen that oil before, but looked it up and it seems to meet spec, so let my son run it for 4K. Changed it to NAPA Synthetic 5W-30 and an OEM filter. Filter removed was a CHAMP basic filter. Can't remember the part number. I cut it open and it was nice and clean. Since it's a theta II engine, I'm just running 5W-30 synthetic and an OEM filter every 4K going forward (has Supertech 5W-30 synthetic in it now.) Does not seem to use any oil, so fingers crossed.

Hello, I just hit 1500 miles since buying a new to me 2020 Subaru Impreza with 48k miles, I believe the previous owner was doing extended oci because after only 1500 miles the new oil I put in is already black, on my 2017 Outback and 2004 Forester the oil is clean even after 5k miles, would flushing out the current oil and maybe using an engine flush be a good idea?
Your oil turning black just means that it is doing its job. Owners have been told this since high detergent oils came out 70 years ago. Detergent additives clean & pick up carbon in suspension. I'd run it awhile yet, maybe put one drop on some thick paper once in a while. This is the oil lab chromatography test. If you see a dark spot in the middle after one hour, surrounded by a lighter circle, the oil has picked up excess carbon, and it's time to change it. Probably doesn't need to be changed for another 2 to 4k miles.

I had a 4.3 Chevy for 17 years. It's one of GM's best V6s ever. Intake gaskets were a pita with it back then. So was the blower motors and shutter door for the heat & defrost. I had a long spell only able to get bi-level air circulation. I am a mouth breather so Michigan winters would fog-up the interior glass easily using only bi-level.
I'm sure they re much gooder now......
It's a whole different 4.3 V6

Back