New straight truck - T370

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Doesn't appear to be an appropriate forum for this so it is being placed here.

Our company owns several Freightliner straight-frames (35K GVWR) that all have ~7L engines in the 240-250HP range backed by Eaton 6spds. The small fleet is, at the moment, pretty disparate, as the trucks have different engines ranging from CAT on the oldest to Mercedes and Cummins on the newer ones. We are in the process of standardizing the fleet and after some shopping we've decided to move away from Freightliner and into Paccar.

So, the first truck we've purchased is a Kenworth T370 with the Paccar (Cummins) PX-9 in 330HP trim backed by the Allison 3000 automatic. Delivery is slated for July. Assuming we are as impressed with this truck as we were with the one with looked at that aided in the making of this decision, we'll be ordering several more.

Service-wise, I've suggested we go with Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and the Fleetguard Nanonet filters, which was met with no real resistance. This is a marked departure from the bulk oil + Baldwin filters the other trucks have been seeing.

We were really impressed at the quality of the Kenworth trucks when compared to Freightliner and International offerings. The cab is smaller, but significantly better outfitted and much, MUCH quieter. Our Freighshakers, in comparison, are rattle traps
lol.gif

I'll post up a few pics once she's built and ready to get the box put on.

Ya I never liked freightliner cabs. Always rattled and not thought out well. Like the headlight switch just above the cup holder. Nothing like putting your big gulp into the cupholder and turning your headlights off @ 67 mph.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Ya I never liked freightliner cabs. Always rattled and not thought out well. Like the headlight switch just above the cup holder. Nothing like putting your big gulp into the cupholder and turning your headlights off @ 67 mph.

They are utter garbage, to be frank. I think they were purchased due to the price point, which is no longer a factor here. the Paccar trucks are simply a much better vehicle from what I can see, it only makes sense to go that route going forward.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

They are utter garbage, to be frank. I think they were purchased due to the price point, which is no longer a factor here. the Paccar trucks are simply a much better vehicle from what I can see, it only makes sense to go that route going forward.

I drove a mack for a few weeks. It was very well built and thought out. Absolutely zero rattles with over 400k on it. It was the best riding truck i ever drove . The 350 HP E7 mack engine couldn't climb its way out of a wet paper bag though.

I drove a mack for a few weeks. It was very well built and thought out. Absolutely zero rattles with over 400k on it. It was the best riding truck i ever drove . The 350 HP E7 mack engine couldn't climb its way out of a wet paper bag though.

lol.gif
That's amusing. We don't have a Mack dealer 'round these parts, it's either Freightliner, International or Kenworth.

We dont have a mack dealer either. I dunno where they got it from. If you think the freightliner is bad wait till you drive one of those internationals!

Not driven, but I've been in one,
lol.gif
That was enough.

What? The headlight switch on a FL has been to the LEFT of the steering column since at least 2005.

We dont have a mack dealer either. I dunno where they got it from. If you think the freightliner is bad wait till you drive one of those internationals!

Vastly superior...like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes S-class. The FL is a tinny, noisy, poorly-built tin can. The International is smooth, comfortable, quiet, and well-built.

For a new straight truck, I would probably go for an F-750 with gas power.

Last edited:

The new Mack engines in 515HP configuration pull really well and are good on fuel so I have heard.

The older Freightshakers would have the doors pop open if you hit a bump hard enough.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

The older Freightshakers would have the doors pop open if you hit a bump hard enough.

Ya and that same bump would knock your big gulp out of the cupholder. After you felt around for it in the dark you would put it back into the cupholder but knock the headlight switch off at the same time! Now your driving along with a door open and no headlights! Kept you busy for sure!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

What? The headlight switch on a FL has been to the LEFT of the steering column since at least 2005.

I have not been in one that new.

I have not been in one that new.

Our newest is a 2011, and it's the same as our 2007. The dash is garbage, the truck is insanely loud inside, we've had numerous HVAC issues with them, the headlights are awful, and absolutely everything rattles.

I was thinking the same thing. It's by your left knee on FL tractors, not far from the ignition. I know my company buys them due to price point. Ultra light 5th wheel, single screw, small cummins. Eaton 10spd and awful 10spd autos. We put about 500K miles on them before turning them in (2-3yrs). Many many break downs up to that point.

Originally Posted by JTK

I was thinking the same thing. It's by your left knee on FL tractors, not far from the ignition. I know my company buys them due to price point. Ultra light 5th wheel, single screw, small cummins. Eaton 10spd and awful 10spd autos. We put about 500K miles on them before turning them in (2-3yrs). Many many break downs up to that point.

That's been one of our main concerns. They don't seem to be reliable. In fact, our most reliable is an old 2001 (old style body with the tin can doors) with a non-emissions CAT in it. The newer trucks are plagued with weird electrical issues.

We have similar tractors...370HP ISL, 10-speed or Allison 6-speed, single axle. Pretty lousy...I fervently wish we still used Internationals.

When I owned MDT's and HDT's, I tried all of the brands available, and had the best luck with International MDT's with the DT466, and Kenworth HDT's with either Cummins or CAT power. I sold that business almost exactly 17 years ago now, so can't comment on the newer stuff. Except for the few HDT's I've driven occasionally on the tour. Most of those have been Kenworth or Peterbilt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

Ya and that same bump would knock your big gulp out of the cupholder. After you felt around for it in the dark you would put it back into the cupholder but knock the headlight switch off at the same time! Now your driving along with a door open and no headlights! Kept you busy for sure!

Lol yep, especially the older non-air ride cab models. The one I drove was a '95 I think, cab bolted to the frame and a short wheelbase. It had air-ride rear suspension but it still rode like a Sherman Tank due to the short wheelbase and bolted on cab. I don't miss that beast at all!

Originally Posted by 02SE
When I owned MDT's and HDT's, I tried all of the brands available, and had the best luck with International MDT's with the DT466, and Kenworth HDT's with either Cummins or CAT power. I sold that business almost exactly 17 years ago now, so can't comment on the newer stuff. Except for the few HDT's I've driven occasionally on the tour. Most of those have been Kenworth or Peterbilt.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back