New STIHL MS180

You guys will get a kick out of this. As I typed the post about not doing full time tree work anymore (it being for the younger man), I couldn't find my glasses. My wife told me they were on top of my head.... *sigh*..

The book recommends not to run full throttle out of cut for the first three tanks. The same info came with my 311 a few years ago.
That said, I'm sure most people don't read the book and beat it out of the box.

This is exactly what my dealer said to me! Most people don't read the book so I'm gonna tell you...
To each their own IMO. My saw did not see WOT until after the first 3+ tanks. I'm hoping it's the last saw I buy.

Just my $0.02

Long time Stihl fan here. I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for a blower unless you get a pack pack.

I bought a BG86 and it seems weak. My parents have a 15-20 year old BG85 that will run circles around mine.

My boss brought his to work one day so I asked his opinion. Basically said my thoughts to a T before I even shared my opinion. He also has Stihl everything.

interesting, I'll have to remember that. I usually like to have a hand held with the vacuum attachments, so I haven't warmed up to a back pack one.

just my $0.02

Long time Stihl fan here. I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for a blower unless you get a pack pack.

I bought a BG86 and it seems weak. My parents have a 15-20 year old BG85 that will run circles around mine.

My boss brought his to work one day so I asked his opinion. Basically said my thoughts to a T before I even shared my opinion. He also has Stihl everything.
Just to add to this, he bought a Stihl backpack blower over the weekend and the dealer didn’t even want the handheld on trade.

That's why I love the dealer. They are usually local guys who are fellow WoodHound enthusiasts/hobbyists and actually want your saw to last as long as possible.
That's great to have a place like that close by. We have a John Deere dealer a few towns over like that, but the local dealer that sells most of the power equipment in our area couldn't care less about customers or equipment. It's one reason why I have more small engine customers than I have time for. So many horror stories from that place, and their prices are crazy. $175 just to "tune-up" a smaller snowblower, and any needed parts + labor to install them is extra.

Just to add to this, he bought a Stihl backpack blower over the weekend and the dealer didn’t even want the handheld on trade.
That sucks. Stihl used to be the best quality across the board, and now it really depends on what you buy from them. I've seen pro saws and backpack blowers that are excellent, and then some other stuff like handheld trimmers that aren't much better than the walmart stuff. :confused:

IMG_7309.JPG

Grabbed a quick pic of the 180 with his big brother.

I have a 180 & a 260. Great saws for more than 15 years now. I keep a vintage Home Lite Super 2 at the farm which has also been a great saw.

Update: The little MS180 continues to impress. I spotted some roadside oak on the way home from a NH ATV ride this weekend, so I went back today as any Wood Hound would do. I really should have grabbed the MS311, but the 180 was gassed and ready.

I was able to cut this up on just over 1 tank of fuel. Very impressed with the economy and the green chain did a good job as well.

IMG_7656.JPG

Some of the smaller saws can be impressive for their size. I can't remember if the MS180 has the adjustable carb or if it's fixed jet. I just did a muffler mod and carb tune on my Echo CS-310 I picked up a month ago or so and it definitely woke it up a bit. Did the same to a buddy's Husky.

Some of the smaller saws can be impressive for their size. I can't remember if the MS180 has the adjustable carb or if it's fixed jet. I just did a muffler mod and carb tune on my Echo CS-310 I picked up a month ago or so and it definitely woke it up a bit. Did the same to a buddy's Husky.

Yeah, it looks like a fixed jet. Not a fan of that, but so far I've had zero issues. Fires right up in the teens and no issues after a long cut.
I wonder if there are different jet versions depending on where the saw is sold.

Yeah, it looks like a fixed jet. Not a fan of that, but so far I've had zero issues. Fires right up in the teens and no issues after a long cut.
I wonder if there are different jet versions depending on where the saw is sold.
Nice! Sometimes there are, I know I've seen different carbs for saws used in higher altitudes. My Echo had the stupid little plastic limiting caps on the adjuster screws for the carb. I popped them off and was able to make it run a bit better, it was set a little too lean from the factory.

Back