New STIHL MS180

I've been looking for a new light saw I can throw in the ATV or do some minor cleanup and limb work around the house. I have a couple of box store saws in my arsenal but wanted something nicer to complement my larger saws.

I ended up getting a STIHL MS180 from a local dealer. I'll tell you what, this is a very nice saw for the money. Using a store holiday coupon, I was out the door for $200.00. The sales girl who helped me even brought me outside for the initial start with fuel and chain lube and I filled out the registration warranty card and was on my way. I only did a little cutting before dark, but it rips pretty well. If you're in the market for a homeowner saw, this should be on your list.

I burn in winter and use my equipment more often than a regular homeowner, so I'll update on how it holds up. I'm thinking it's going to do well.

IMG_7272.jpg

IMO Stihl produces a very good chainsaw. I think my next blower will be a Stihl as well...

I'm sure you are aware having owned several saws but FWIW, my dealer told me not to run the saw at WOT for the first few tanks.

just my $0.02

I got a MS170 several years ago for a great price, and rarely touch my other two saws. Stihl dealer service is always top notch, as well.

I don't have any experience with the saws, but I bought one of their weed trimmers (FS131R) a couple years ago and I've been impressed to the point that I'll go back to the brand if I need a new saw or any other OPE they carry. The MS180 has a traditional 2-stroke if I'm not mistaken, get them while you can! Though I have zero complaints with my 4-mix.

Last edited:
Best small saw I own is a MS261C-M Pro Saw just puts a smile on your face so light and snappy the power to weight is awesome.

IMO Stihl produces a very good chainsaw. I think my next blower will be a Stihl as well...

I'm sure you are aware having owned several saws but FWIW, my dealer told me not to run the saw at WOT for the first few tanks.

just my $0.02

Yeah, I have the perfect post-turkey day break-in job of lobbing up some limb wood from an ash I dropped with my 311.

Bought a 170 2 years ago and have had no problems with this fast cutting saw.
Also have a MS270 Farm boss that now gets a lot less use now since the 170 is so good.

I've been looking for a new light saw I can throw in the ATV or do some minor cleanup and limb work around the house. I have a couple of box store saws in my arsenal but wanted something nicer to complement my larger saws.

I ended up getting a STIHL MS180 from a local dealer. I'll tell you what, this is a very nice saw for the money. Using a store holiday coupon, I was out the door for $200.00. The sales girl who helped me even brought me outside for the initial start with fuel and chain lube and I filled out the registration warranty card and was on my way. I only did a little cutting before dark, but it rips pretty well. If you're in the market for a homeowner saw, this should be on your list.

I burn in winter and use my equipment more often than a regular homeowner, so I'll update on how it holds up. I'm thinking it's going to do well.

View attachment 78895
Nice saw! What premix oil do you run?

Nice saw! What premix oil do you run?

With canned fuel, I typically run VP or Trufuel. If I have a lot to cut I'll make a batch which probably ends up being closer to 45:1. When I worked for my friends tree service years ago, we ran everything on 40:1, including my 066 and the Dolmar's the other guys used.

I bought a 170 to use for work this spring. Seems pretty cheaply built but it runs well enough. For the price it’s a tolerable saw.

With canned fuel, I typically run VP or Trufuel. If I have a lot to cut I'll make a batch which probably ends up being closer to 45:1. When I worked for my friends tree service years ago, we ran everything on 40:1, including my 066 and the Dolmar's the other guys used.
Trufuel works well. I have a Makita DCS5200i (Dolmar). I love the saw and it screams, but being an older saw I'm finding that parts are getting a bit tricky to find for it. I actually looked at the MS180 for a limbing/trimming saw, but my experience with Stihl lately with customers hasn't been great (mainly parts availability and some quality issues) so I just picked up an Echo CS-310 w/14" bar. Haven't run it yet, hoping to have a turkey day cutting session as well. :cool:

just my $0.02
There shouldn't be any issues running it full throttle once warmed up. It is designed to run that way.

just my $0.02

Long time Stihl fan here. I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for a blower unless you get a pack pack.

I bought a BG86 and it seems weak. My parents have a 15-20 year old BG85 that will run circles around mine.

My boss brought his to work one day so I asked his opinion. Basically said my thoughts to a T before I even shared my opinion. He also has Stihl everything.

There shouldn't be any issues running it full throttle once warmed up. It is designed to run that way.
The book recommends not to run full throttle out of cut for the first three tanks. The same info came with my 311 a few years ago.
That said, I'm sure most people don't read the book and beat it out of the box.

The Makita/Dolmar saws are workhorses. The guys I worked with had 7900's. When I bought my 311, I did a lot of research, but it really came down to the local dealer being up the road from me. If there was an Echo dealer close, I probably would have pulled the trigger on a CS-620P and its about as "pro" as I need to go now. My full time tree days are done unless my friend really needs help and then my 311 is more than up to it.

The book recommends not to run full throttle out of cut for the first three tanks. The same info came with my 311 a few years ago.
That said, I'm sure most people don't read the book and beat it out of the box.

The Makita/Dolmar saws are workhorses. The guys I worked with had 7900's. When I bought my 311, I did a lot of research, but it really came down to the local dealer being up the road from me. If there was an Echo dealer close, I probably would have pulled the trigger on a CS-620P and its about as "pro" as I need to go now. My full time tree days are done unless my friend really needs help and then my 311 is more than up to it.
I think that is the key wording is no WOT out of the cut I always ran WOT in the wood from day one on a new saw.

Got a USA made 170 a couple years back - True Value store did the top up and curbside demo. It’s the only thing I run canned fuel in - I don’t consume that much especially since I use a Worx electric to shorten up wood into burning or smoking size pieces …

Back