New ST oil coming?

I only buy indexes so there you go!
Yes It’s a good reliable way to get good long term performance at a low to no cost. And will often beat actively managed funds if you lump them all together, but not all
Fund managers are the same nor do they stay the same forever So knowing the fund and the manager takes time and effort.
I have some actively managed large growth funds that are beating their correlated indexes but the small cap index I have is outrunning my actively managed small caps By 7-5%. I nerd out on fund manager research( basically that’s who you hire to manage the fund for that fee) so it isn’t painful the same way nerding out on an oil page for years isnt.

Last edited:
I would have no issue to run ST 5W30 in a PFI designed gas engine and probably as top off oil in a DFI gas engine . However due to intake valve deposit concerns for my DFI Sonata I bump up to a better quality 5W30 synthetic D1 / Gen 2 or 3 with Gen 2 thus the Valvoline is the best of the bunch in that regard ... Runner up synthetic 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 oils would be QSUD 5W30 , PP 5W30 and M1 5W30 .

Yes It’s a good reliable way to get good long term performance at a low to no cost. And will often beat actively managed funds if you lump them all together, but not all
Fund managers are the same nor do they stay the same forever So knowing the fund and the manager takes time and effort.
I have some actively managed large growth funds that are beating their correlated indexes but the small cap index I have is outrunning my actively managed small caps By 7-5%. I nerd out on fund manager research( basically that’s who you hire to manage the fund for that fee) so it isn’t painful the same way nerding out on an oil page for years isnt.
I made my investing mistakes like most people. I'm hopefully older and wiser (at least older) now. Three funds for me.....VTSAX Total US Stock Market, VTIAX Total International Market, and VBTLX Total US Bond Market. Actually, I have a balanced Vanguard Index too in my 401K but only because they didn't offer VBTLX. So four funds and I rebalance as necessary in my dollar-cost averaging to achieve my stock/bond ratio as I age. I have my stock/bond ratio mapped out on a spreadsheet and I've promised myself to never again change my investment style. It is sort of like sticking with SuperTech vs. swapping around to the latest and greatest BITOG flavor.

I made my investing mistakes like most people. I'm hopefully older and wiser (at least older) now. Three funds for me.....VTSAX Total US Stock Market, VTIAX Total International Market, and VBTLX Total US Bond Market. Actually, I have a balanced Vanguard Index too in my 401K but only because they didn't offer VBTLX. So four funds and I rebalance as necessary in my dollar-cost averaging to achieve my stock/bond ratio as I age. I have my stock/bond ratio mapped out on a spreadsheet and I've promised myself to never again change my investment style. It is sort of like sticking with SuperTech vs. swapping around to the latest and greatest BITOG flavor
I diversify my equities into 4 different styles Equally such as FSDIX Fidelity Strategic Dividend and Income, FBGRX Fidelity Blue Chip Growth, DBMAX BNY Mellon small/mid cap growth and VWIGX Vangaurd international growth.
I have 3-6 funds in each style with both hand picked actively managed and index funds. Living debt free and projected to pay off house soon I can continue to Invest aggressively. My stable diversification and income will be in real estate after the mortgage is paid ( I made the sacrifice of relocating a lot for work in my career and I feel it set me back on this goal By some years)

I like the Kirkland synthetic or any name brand on clearance or sale.

It's trickling in more and more...
IMG_20210219_121848.jpg

Just saw this today browsing the oil aisle at walmart. The 10000 mile text at the top of the label caught my eye, then I check the back of the bottle to find this. Anyone seen this before?

Edit: to clarify what my point was by posting this, was notice the "advanced full synthetic" category on the back label.
I've been wondering about this myself too My local Walmart is beginning to replace their inventory with the new bottles that claim a 10,000 oil change. I became especially excited when I saw the back label that references "Advanced Full Synthetic". I'm guessing this will soon be a new edition to the ST product line as an alternative to the name brand premium synthetics like Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, and Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic. Has anyone physically seen this new product on the shelves yet?

I seen 10w-30 a few weeks ago in the store, and the other day they had the 5w-20 out on the shelf, it has the same two dexos license numbers printed on the back as the regular Supertech 5w-20.

Didn't someone from Canada recently mentioned on here that ST also come in Euro flavor 5W-40?
I have yet to see it down here. Something I'd be interested in.

Didn't someone from Canada recently mentioned on here that ST also come in Euro flavor 5W-40?
I have yet to see it down here. Something I'd be interested in.
I think they've had 5w-40 Supertech in Canada for several years now, I don't think they'll ever bring it here, probably sell enough Castrol 0w-40, Castrol 5w-40, and Mobil1 0w-40 that they don't see any need for it here, I guess.

Just got back from Wally world. Interesting that they no longer carry ST conventional oil or Valvoline conventional. The bottom line is "synthetic blend" which is not Dexos rates. Heck....wasent 2 weeks ago they were stocked with regular high mileage conventional and regular conventional 5/30 of various flavors. The syn blend conv is under $13 a 5 quart jug, but the "fully syn is close to $16 now. Seems for an old timer who used the same stuff for decades everything is changing so quick these days.

Just got back from Wally world. Interesting that they no longer carry ST conventional oil or Valvoline conventional. The bottom line is "synthetic blend" which is not Dexos rates. Heck....wasent 2 weeks ago they were stocked with regular high mileage conventional and regular conventional 5/30 of various flavors. The syn blend conv is under $13 a 5 quart jug, but the "fully syn is close to $16 now. Seems for an old timer who used the same stuff for decades everything is changing so quick these days.
Which grades? Not all grades are eligible for a dexos license.

just arrived at my local walmart

i’ve been using edge 0w40 but i’ll try this out for 10k, maybe more

Attachments

• 3C93DA1C-C704-4F4D-ACFE-0E10A28EF446.jpeg
    3C93DA1C-C704-4F4D-ACFE-0E10A28EF446.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 62
I've noticed that too, how conventional oils are slowly starting to disappear from store shelves little by little. I guess it is to be expected going forward though. As the industry standards for oil are getting stricter over time, true conventional oils are no longer able to satisfy them, and are just being phased out in favor of blends and full synthetics. Not to mention, the cost of synthetics relative to conventional has become less over time as well. To the average driver of today's vehicles, there really is no reason to use conventional oil nowadays anyway.

I think the High Mileage oil has been syn blend for a while, they didn't actually say on the high mileage jugs that it was syn blend or conventional, but MAG1 only had High Mileage in syn-blend which leads me to believe the Supertech high mileage was synblend it just didn't say it on the package.

Back