Quaker State Syn. new formula or label change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart the other day, and I walked over to the oil section to see what was new. One of the things I noticed was that was new quart bottles of 10W-30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability. The 5W-30 was still the older bottles. The reason it caught my eye was because, even though the front of the bottle looked almost the same, it was slightly different. Whereas the old label, in the upper right corner, says "Unsurpassed wear protection" the new label just said something to the effect of "durable" oil.

Flipping it over, I scanned the back label. The wording was changed slightly as well. It said how the oil used "heat activated zinc additives"

I tried Quaker State Q Horsepower a couple years ago and was impressed how smooth and quiet it made our engines run, but then I tried Pennzoil Ultra and was thinking about going back to Quaker State and seeing if there was a difference. Seeing the new label has me concerned, it also said meets SN and GF-5, among others, was there a formula change?

My old Q Horsepower bottle that the heat activated molecules created a low friction, ultra heat resistant film that maximized horsepower. There was no such mention of low friction film on the new label.

I can understand them changing the label for marketing reasons, but was there a major formula change?

Johnny, could you shed any light on this? Thanks.

Well like all brands going through the API changes it's because of the formula change SM to SN hence the new labels.

Johnny's been outa the circle for some time time now he may not know.

Like an old house, from time to time you give it a new coat of paint. Label changes are nothing new in the oil industry. As daman said, it does now meet API SN specs.

Are you kidding. Quaker State changes their name like every 15 minutes. They have had Torque, 4x4, Horsepower etc... They even at one time had three synthetics going at once, one for High performance, one for luxury cars and one for Suv/4x4s. they are the worst company for switching labels and gimmicks. Great oil, I dont think they change the formula, just the hook.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Are you kidding. Quaker State changes their name like every 15 minutes. They have had Torque, 4x4, Horsepower etc... They even at one time had three synthetics going at once, one for High performance, one for luxury cars and one for Suv/4x4s. they are the worst company for switching labels and gimmicks. Great oil, I dont think they change the formula, just the hook.
Agreed. Q.S. always seems gimmicky reguarding they're labeling. Stick with the green bottles across the entire product line. Forget the Tourqe,Slick50,Horsepower,Dale Jr. labeling

so is there a difference between horsepower and ultimate durability? the price is the same at walmart but the hp is in the old jugs(with lots of dust)
if i were to buy a qs syn which should i pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back