New Snapper mulcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished checking everything over, adjusted the stroke for the friction wheel travel (very easy system to work on!), topped up the oil, fueled it up and it started on the first pull.

The engine purrs smooth and quiet with a very low/mellow exhaust note, but once you throttle it up, that Ninja blade is CRAZY LOUD. It gives off a massive air rush noise, even though it kicks up little turbulence. All I can figure is it's because all the surfaces and kickers on that blade. Ear protection is a must with this beast unfortunately. Unlike my old Honda that is extremely quiet where you could comfortably mow w/out hearing protection.

The cut/mulch quality of the Snapper is just awesome. I went through some pretty deep stuff and the engine seemed to barely notice it. Only with high grass and going up a steep incline did the engine change tones slightly.

The controls layout, fit, feel are excellent on the Snapper. It's nice, tight and comfortable to operate. The differential on the rear drive axle makes it really easy to maneuver while the drive in engaged. Changing speeds while on the fly is smooth and effortless. Full ground speed is FAST and the slow speed is perfect for incline climbing, or going down an incline for that matter.

Almost nothing stuck to the underside of the deck and given the simple round dish design, there's few places for clumps to hide, making it a breeze to scrape clean.

I'm real happy with it so far. My only complaint would be the noise.

Joel

Oh.. the engine has an "Easy Start" automatic choke that I'm not sure about. It's temperature activated. I think 660mag referred to this on another thread. It's a small chrome button about the size of a quarter with a linkage sticking out of it that runs over to the carb/choke. It's mounted on the head real close to the exhaust.

I'm unsure about the reliability of this system.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The differential on the rear drive axle makes it really easy to maneuver while the drive in engaged. Changing speeds while on the fly is smooth and effortless.

Which is the exact reason I wouldn't trade either one of my Snappers for a dozen front drivers...

20.gif

Yea, youtube clip.....

thumbsup2.gif

It would do You Tube a great service! The only "Snapper Ninja" video clips aren't that great. One is a propane conversion and the other is one that is 17 years old.
It would be nice to see some fresh content on there
11.gif

You can't beat a Snapper mower. They have a great deck design. The real question is what kind of oil are you going to use? What is the recommended interval for oil and filter?

It's initial fill is Napa fleet 15w40. I had an open jug of that on hand. It's all I had aside from 6qts of Napa full synthetic 5w20 and a stash of 5qt jugs of Peak 5w30.

That little oil filter is on there SO tight, I'll have to just about destroy it to remove it. I tried twisting it off by hand before I oiled up the engine and it started to crinkle so I stopped.

Joel

Nice mower.

Given your 5-week mowing season and the care that I know it will receive, it may be the last mower you buy!

Congrats.

LOL!

It does seem like it some times, although typical is ~7months worth of mowing. You almost run the risk more of rotting your deck though if you don't scrape it, due to the dampness and idle periods.

Joel

Couple questions...

As you are standing behind the mower, is the lever for your left hand the ground speed control? If so does it click for each setting or is the smooth glide style?

Also, the lever in your right hand- is that the throttle? If so, where do you set it to start it considering that it is an auto choke? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the larger lever to the left is for ground speed control. There's no clicks, it's "infinite" from turtle to rabbit.

The smaller is the throttle control. The engine doesn't idle very low at all. It's basically mid-range and max governed RPMs. Bet it has to do with emissions compliance. The engine will start w/ one or two pulls at any 'throttle' setting.

Joel

Originally Posted By: 660mag
dwendt44 said:
Oil changes should be fun. The oil in the filter will run all over the deck.

No biggie, after draining the oil, tilt the mower till the filter is facing the ground...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back