New shocks for F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Is this a good deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-Set-of-2-Front-2-Rear-Shock-Absorbers-for-Ford-F-150-Lightning-5-4L/272791386261?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Price is decent but the feedback on the seller is not so hot. I'd be wary. Read the negative and neutral feedback.

I put a set of bilstien 4600s on my '07 F150 a year ago and have been very pleased. Handles so much better on mountain roads now. They do ride a bit more harshly than OEM but, no objectionably so. Handles the winter ballast load I carry in the bed well, too. I think they are worth the extra cash.

I installed gabriel ultras on my 03 avalanche a couple of years ago. They seem to ride stiff, a bit harsh. When my 5k travel trailer is hooked up with a weight distributing hitch, they are perfect. It rides better loaded. I wish i had gone with the bilstiens but i use it mostly for towing.

I have run Bilstien HD's on previous vehicles - to stiff for everyday comfort. At speed off road - yeah great.

Have had Monroe Sensa Trac's on the Bronco for years and they have been smooth and very nice. Dunno if they still make them ... Well, I just looked to see if I could get some for my F-150 4x4, Nope
frown.gif

So I'll prolly go Rancho ...

Last edited:
Labor for installing shocks?

Shocks are the easiest thing to do on a truck. Buy a ratchet set and it’ll pay for itself.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Old Man Emu shocks are great. Made for the tough outback. Have them on my Montero and they are great. I've heard good things about KYB and Bilstein. Bilstein are made for comfort.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Bilstein are considered the best.

I have OME shocks on my Liberty now that replaced the Bilsteins and the OMEs are better for me. They've lasted much longer (going on 40k) and ride better on/off road. Bilsteins were a bit firmer and more bouncy, the OME ones feel a bit more "relaxed" but still very well controlled.

Nothing against Bilstein, they're a good shock (and I'm running them on my XJ and like them) but OME shocks seem to be better for a marginal price increase. Of course, the 5100 Bilsteins might be whole 'nother league, I'm talking about the basic blue/yellow bodied ones.

Is this a good deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-Set-of-2-Front-2-Rear-Shock-Absorbers-for-Ford-F-150-Lightning-5-4L/272791386261?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'd double check those are for your truck. These are for the Lightning edition of the F150.

Consider adjustable shocks like Bilstein 1500s so you can install bigger tires in the future.

The only this Ive done to my truck was lower the rear with 2 inch shackles. No 4x4 or off roading for me. Street driving only.
So monroe shocks are no good?

Monroe or Gabriel are fine. Don't get caught up with fancy, expensive shocks out there. The springs have a much more impact on ride quality than the shocks do.Buy what fits your budget, you likely will not notice any ride differences between the many.

Last edited:
If monroe carries the REFLEX shock for your truck I'll vouch for those. I've installed two sets and have been very pleased with their valving. They only made these for trucks and vans. Excellent shock with velocity-sensitive valving. I have bilsteins on the Tundra now and actually prefer the monroes, which were not available for my vehicle.

SteveSRT8 on this board swears by Gabriel Ultras on heavier vehicles, and I respect his advice.

I would not buy a lower-tier monroe or gabriel anything.

Rancho is a rebadged monroe shock.

Originally Posted By: meep
If monroe carries the REFLEX shock for your truck I'll vouch for those. I've installed two sets and have been very pleased with their valving. They only made these for trucks and vans. Excellent shock with velocity-sensitive valving. I have bilsteins on the Tundra now and actually prefer the monroes, which were not available for my vehicle.

SteveSRT8 on this board swears by Gabriel Ultras on heavier vehicles, and I respect his advice.

I would not buy a lower-tier monroe or gabriel anything.

Rancho is a rebadged monroe shock.

My thanks for the compliment. The Gabriel Ultras we use are extremely good heavy duty shocks with a nice ride and amazing body control. As soon as I can I will be putting these on my wifes RAM as well. Super pricing, too...

I have Bilstein HD's on my 98 Chevy K1500 and they have been on there for about 100,000 miles and probably around 16 years and still work good. They are a bit firm and when I had them installed, the guy installing them said they were the hardest shocks he has ever put on because of how stout they were. This truck originally came with Bilstein comfort shocks because it has the Z71 package but they no longer make this shock.

I have Monroe Gas Magnums on my 98 Chevy K3500 and they ride pretty decent. I think they have around 20,000 miles on them.

I personally would recommend Bilstein if you can afford them. Mine have a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure if the new ones do or not.

Wayne

For stock ride replacement, go w Bilstein 4600. For off-road or heavy towing, go w Bilstein 5100. I have the 4600 on my Colorado as its my daily and does not really see off road. The ride is a tiny bit stiffer than OEM but not harsh at all and way better than OEM. I had the Gabriel ultras on my old 02 S10 and they were too stiff and harsh for on road. They are better for heavy towing or off-road. Had KYB monomax on and old 04 Silverado, they were fine, but for the money, it’s hard to beat the Bilsteins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back