New Shell Gas Formula - Enriched with Nitrogen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DAC17
So I have a comment and a question. comment: I have tried several times, and always get about 5-8% better gas mileage with V-power in my 2008 MDX. Don't know why, but it is repeatable and consistent.

Question: Will using V-power in an RX-8 make any difference in terms of cleaning properties? The rotary runs in a different way than piston engines, and I don't know if the same cleaning effects would occur. Any knowledge on this?

Thanks.

I ran nothing but Shell Vpower in my rx8 while I had it. Cheap, discount gas made it run real bad. Shell worked great.

I always get mileage on V-Power.
XBA Ohio is not required to label the pumps containing
ethanol. We are also the dumping ground for any bad gas
in the northeast part of the US.
If you really want to see your mileage go down try a
tankful of Sheetz and you can watch the gauge

huh,i was under the impression that sheetz was a good fuel.
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
huh,i was under the impression that sheetz was a good fuel.
45.gif

From my understanding, Sheets is like our Wawa. They use the lowest bidder discount fuel.

Originally Posted By: odessit
Nitrogen based compounds are in many explosives and I do not think Shell talks about Nitrogen gas...
I think that's the issue most are having. They're fixated on the properties of the gas.

What do you guys think of using V-power in a regular fuel vehicle? Do people get any type of improvement using it over regular? Not really because of the octane, but more-so the additives and quality of the gas?

I guess the only way to find out is to try, but I was just curious. I might do 2-3 fills of V-power to see if I notice any difference what-so-ever. Pretty cheap science experiment I guess!

Originally Posted By: xBa380
What do you guys think of using V-power in a regular fuel vehicle? Do people get any type of improvement using it over regular? Not really because of the octane, but more-so the additives and quality of the gas?

I guess the only way to find out is to try, but I was just curious. I might do 2-3 fills of V-power to see if I notice any difference what-so-ever. Pretty cheap science experiment I guess!
The V-Power is supposed to have ~2.5x's as much additive as the regular and plus grades.

Originally Posted By: xBa380

Regular 87 from Shell, BP, Chevron etc. all have lots more than the EPA minimum of detergent so they should work fine. Save the extra .25-.30 cents per gallon and throw a bottle of Techron or Regane every 4000mi or so. Some regular fuel cars can actually develop more deposits from long term use of premium rather than the recommended 87 grade.

I just had to mention how I mentioned in the other thread that I recently filled up the TL and the girlfriend's Murano (loves to ping, even on premium) with Shell. She didn't know I switched brands. The only reason I did it is there's a Shell station next to the office and I was lazy. I drive the same route every day and so does she. I noticed that I got an extra two days out of a tank of gas. I know this is not scientific at all but it was enough to be surprising.

More importantly, the girlfriend told me she was getting better mileage without me telling her I switched or asking her if anything had changed.

I'm sure it could be possible the Shell nozzles don't shut off as fast and give a little extra fuel. I really wish at this point I kept strict fuel logs like I used to when I used to commute.

I just filled up with it today, I usualy get 12.7 to 13.7 MPG. So we will see.

I still find Shell's claim to be misleading. I use Shell gasoline exclusively, so I am not trying to slam the quality of their fuel. Nitrogen may be one component of a new cleaning system that they have developed, but I doubt that it has any cleaning ability all by itself. Think about it:

Nitrogen (N2) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that makes up 78.09% (by volume) of the air we breathe. It is nonflammable and it will not support combustion. It is colorless, odorless and tasteless.

Nitrogen gas is slightly lighter than air and slightly soluble in water. It is commonly thought of and used as an inert gas; but it is not truly inert. It forms nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide with oxygen, ammonia with hydrogen, and nitrogen sulfide with sulfur. Nitrogen compounds are formed naturally through biological activity. Compounds are also formed at high temperature or at moderate temperature with the aid of catalysts. At high temperatures, nitrogen will combine with active metals, such as lithium, magnesium and titanium to form nitrides. Nitrogen is necessary for various biological processes, and is used as a fertilizer, usually in the form of ammonia or ammonia-based compounds. Compounds formed with halogens and certain organic compounds can be explosive.

Maybe Shell is using some sort of chemical that converts to nitogen in the engine, like anhydrous ammonia in soil?
Or maybe, they're taking about nitrates, but are hesitant to use the term for marketing with the possible negative connotations some consumers have with luncheon meat and hot-dogs?

I saw this new gas at my local Shell station going for $2.70/gallon!!! Just the other day I wondered if the gasoline is enriched with nitrogen then why /don't they drop the so called V-POWER???? If nitrogen is so good then V-POWER isn't required. Do I think it's a rip??? Kinda think so ut the price is outta my pocket range cuz I can get branded gas at almost 50 cents cheaper.

Durango

Durango, just use Castrol Edge oil at $7.50 a quart along with the $2.70 Shell nitrogen gas! You'll feel so much better!

Could the nitrogen be part of a compound called "PEA.....?"

Look it up on here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durango
Boomer,

You bring up an interesting point. I'm not a Castrol fan anyway wether it being standard or synthetic.

Durango

not even gc??
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back