New Shed

It was kind of funny. After they left, they left the keys in the lock on the door. So I locked it, and pulled the keys out. No problem. A while later we went out to open it, and I couldn't get the key in the lock!

I tried and tried, and it wouldn't go in. My wife is laughing like hell, "You paid all this money for such a nice looking shed, and now you can't even get in the thing!"

The key wouldn't budge. The little silver "door" that covers the hole where the key inserts wouldn't move. Finally after about 10 minutes of screwing around, I got a small flat blade screwdriver, and using it, along with my fingernail, I managed to wiggle it in just enough to push it to one side. I then gave it a good blast of Houdini Lock Lube.

Finally the key went in. I pulled it halfway out and gave it another shot. Then I kept inserting it, and pulling it out. Locking and unlocking it. Now it works slicker than snot. Just dry and tight I guess. If that's the only glitch I end up having with this thing, I'll be happy.

Looks good. I think I’d leave it without a skirt. Let the critters go as they please because they’ll find a way in somehow, then potentially get trapped. Sealed would make a good home for bugs too but if it’s open they won’t like it so much.

Mine is "Amish" built and the guy we bought it from kinda rolled his eyes and did air-quotes when he said it. 😂 It was built over east of you and honestly seems really well-constructed, solid, etc. Places like Lowes, Home Depot, etc weren't even selling wood (or plastic) sheds post-Covid when we were looking.
I do not know why people gets so excited with "Amish built". Means nothing but a high price..

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
You're the only person that mentioned "excited"
You are the one who had to state "Amish" like it actually meant something. I know of one barn/ shed builder in Ohio who uses Amish in their company name as a sales gimmick. You sure won't see any Amish workers being driven to the job site in a van or arriving in a buggy.

Last edited:
You are the one who had to state "Amish" like it actually meant something. I know of one barn/ shed builder in Ohio who uses Amish in their company name as a sales gimmick. You sure won't see any Amish workers being driven to the job site in a van or arriving in a buggy.
You kinda seem offended by anything to do with them..... 😂😂😂

Pay attention 'cause I also said "and the guy we bought it from kinda rolled his eyes and did air-quotes when he said it. 😂" when I referred to them.

You kinda seem offended by anything to do with them..... 😂😂😂

Pay attention 'cause I also said "and the guy we bought it from kinda rolled his eyes and did air-quotes when he said it. 😂" when I referred to them.
I admire the way the Amish live. I just do not believe they are any better or worse at being craftsmen than anyone else. When someone thinks an Amish made product is better just because it Amish, they are misled.

I had one of those "Amish" wood box heaters. It worked great. Then the remote was somehow lost, then the buttons fried. No such replacement remote made anymore. It served it's purpose and we didn't want to move it when we retired.

The whole thing was made in China, even the wooden carcass.

I think unless somehow Amish are getting royalties from the use of their name, they should hire some lawyers. But maybe they don't engage like that.

The Chinese are always looking for old, once great American company names to brand their products with. The Amish, Bell & Howell, McCulloch, Westinghouse just to name a few.

After all it sounds better than, "Proudly Made In A Chinese Labor Camp".

I had one of those "Amish" wood box heaters.

The whole thing was made in China, even the wooden carcass.
Uhhhhh.... That's nothing more than shady, unscrupulous marketing. Any company can obviously put "Amish" in the name of their product and I guess people will fall for it but come one. "Amish" and "made in China" is kinda a red flag.

New business........ I brought this thread back, rather than start a new one. Now that it's warming up, I'm noticing that I'm going to have a heating issue inside the shed, as the Summer arrives with it's high Summertime desert temperatures.

I have a remote temperature sensor in the shed that I can read from inside the house. Yesterday afternoon it was a nice sunny 72 F outside. Inside the shed it was 96 F with the afternoon Sun hitting the front, sides and roof.

This is only going to get worse as temperatures climb. So I'm going to have to do something about it for sure. I've run power to it from a 30 amp line located just a few feet away. So I have plenty of lighting and outlets.

I mounted a 12" exhaust fan to push air out of the front gable vent just above the door, and help suck it in from an identical vent in the back. But it's not doing the job I thought it would, lowering the temp just a few degrees. I'm going to have to do something more effective for sure.

So I'm thinking of going to one of those whirlybird type turbine vents. Or perhaps even 2. I read they are good at moving large amounts of air through attics. So I'm thinking that could be a better solution. Especially coupled with the fan.

I know they're relatively simple to install, but I've never installed one. And you have to cut a giant hole in your roof to do so. Add that up and confidence is a bit low. But I'm sure they can't be that expensive to have installed.

To be honest I've never done any type of roofing work, and I hate making my brand new shed the "test bed" for my lack of experience. My last option would be to go with a small 120 Volt window A/C unit. But I would really like to avoid that, except for a last option. Again it would involve cutting a hole in the side of the building to accommodate it, building a shelf, etc.

And I really don't feel like insulating the thing either. That would be a big, expensive project I would prefer not to get involved in. Has anyone here installed and used a turbine vent in your attic or other application?

If so what kind of results did you get? I still have some time to research this until the really hot weather arrives. This is the fan I put in. Good fan. Roars like hell, but isn't getting the job done.

3Db0YlS.jpg

This is only going to get worse as temperatures climb. So I'm going to have to do something about it for sure.
What have neighbors done / can you see their sheds to tell ? Do you plan to work inside this shed or just store stuff ? I don't remember what you said, if you did, at the beginning of this thread.

I think - someone will correct me if I'm wrong - those turbine vents need a breeze or wind to work or at least work better. The rotation creates a "draw" that pulls the air out. In your climate (a lot of sun), could you use a solar-powered exhaust fan like the one shown ? If you end up with an AC-powered one, I'd see about connecting it to a thermostat so it only runs when the temperature reaches Xº F. That's what we had in my childhood home in the 3rd-floor attic.

Back