New S&W wheelgun timing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just brought home a NIB S&W 67-5 Combat Masterpiece. I have noticed that 4 cylinders lock up nice and early when cocking the hammer slowly. The 5th is noticeably later but still locks up before the hammer reaches full cock. The last one you every few times clicks in right after the hammer locks back on single action mode.

Since this is a new gun, I can only imagine this will get worse as it wears. I am thinking it needs to go back to S&W, which doesn't make me happy. Anyone else had this happen, or am I fretting about nothing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Hello all,

I just brought home a NIB S&W 67-5 Combat Masterpiece. I have noticed that 4 cylinders lock up nice and early when cocking the hammer slowly. The 5th is noticeably later but still locks up before the hammer reaches full cock. The last one you every few times clicks in right after the hammer locks back on single action mode.

Since this is a new gun, I can only imagine this will get worse as it wears. I am thinking it needs to go back to S&W, which doesn't make me happy. Anyone else had this happen, or am I fretting about nothing?

I'm just thinking out loud here. But it almost sounds like the cylinder notches themselves have been cut out of time, and are not equal radially. Usually a simple timing adjustment will fix that. But only if all the cylinder notches are engaging the same way at the same time. Having differences from chamber to chamber would almost seem that the problem runs deeper than just a out of time condition.

I dont blame you for being upset at having to send it in for repair but look at the bright side. If Smith is half the company they used to be they will have a gunsmith inspect, clean and adjust everything. You will end up with a gun that ranks with the very best coming off the line.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Hello all,

I'm just thinking out loud here. But it almost sounds like the cylinder notches themselves have been cut out of time, and are not equal radially. Usually a simple timing adjustment will fix that. But only if all the cylinder notches are engaging the same way at the same time. Having differences from chamber to chamber would almost seem that the problem runs deeper than just a out of time condition.

That is what I am thinking. The inconsistency probably means it will likely need a new cylinder versus a tweak or a larger hand like a worn gun demands.

Last edited:
sending a new gun back to the manufacturer is a pain but usually worth it. I have a Taurus that wasnt right when new and I sent it back. It has been perfect ever since and they paid all the shipping to a from. it was nice.

Well I guess by the time it comes back, my nice wood grips from Altamont will arrive for it. Might as well order a Wolff spring set for it too.

It's a shame you have to do that to a brand new Smith & Wesson. I would have thought their Q.C. would have caught something like that for sure. It certainly should have for that weapons price.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It's a shame you have to do that to a brand new Smith & Wesson. I would have thought their Q.C. would have caught something like that for sure. It certainly should have for that weapons price.

Yeah that is the part that grinds my gears. If this was a Taurus or Charter Arms piece, I would shrug it off and say that is part of the game for a budget wheelgun. Some work and some need work to work.

But on any 38 special with an MSRP of 749 dollars, something so fundamental should not be an issue.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
sending a new gun back to the manufacturer is a pain but usually worth it. I have a Taurus that wasnt right when new and I sent it back. It has been perfect ever since and they paid all the shipping to a from. it was nice.

I tend to agree. I bought a Taurus 65 revolver "blem" from Bud's a few months ago. I can't find any visible blemish. It's an excellent gun. On par with my 686.

Hello all,

While what you are describing doesn't sound all that great, it doesn't sound completely wrong either. You don't really need to worry about at what time the cylinder locks, only that it DOES completely lock each time, when the hammer is fully cocked. In other words, cock the hammer, twist and wiggle the cylinder, let the hammer down and then cock the hammer again and check each rotation, making sure the cylinder completely locks every time, with every chamber. If it does, everything is fine. If you can rotate or slide the cylinder fore and after more than just a few thousandths with the hammer cocked, the timing is off and the gun needs to be sent back.

I once bought a Taurus 22lr revolver that did not lock at all on 2 of the chambers. I sent it back to Taurus and the gun came back not locking on 4 cylinders instead of just 2. The gun shop very graciously gave me store credit and let me pick out something else. That was the last and only dealing I will ever have with Taurus.

It does not lock up on one chamber properly. When I cock the hammer slowly to single action you hear the hammer click and then if you nudge the cylinder slightly it locks in with a second click. If you do the check with any drag on the cylinder the chamber before it will do the same. The other 4, not all all as they lock up well before the hammer engages the single action sear.

I used the method here. It is not quite as bad as the one in the video, but its noticeable and will likely get worse as it wears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g8kMFpI9M

Last edited:
It does not lock up on one chamber properly. When I cock the hammer to single action you hear the hammer click and then if you nudge the cylinder slighty it locks in with a second click. If you do the check with any drag on the cylinder the chamber before it will do the same. The other 4, not all all as they lock up well before the hammer engages the single action sear.

Yup that is no good then. When you call or write S&W, I would just tell them that the cylinder does not lock tightly on at least one of the chambers and you don't think the gun is safe to fire. If you get too detailed in your description, it may just confuse them or make it seem like you are just being overly picky. Keeping it simple and saying it does not seem safe to fire should get you the response and turn around time that you want. I hear s&w has excellent customer service so they should take care of you. Let us know what comes of it.

I called earlier and arranged a pre paid shipping label. I told them on the phone that it has "inconsistent timing in single action mode" and that it is causing me some concerns regarding its safety. They asked I include a letter with the gun detailing the issue, so I will use similar language.

I will keep you updated to see how it goes.

I called earlier and arranged a pre paid shipping label. I told them on the phone that it has "inconsistent timing in single action mode" and that it is causing me some concerns regarding its safety. They asked I include a letter with the gun detailing the issue, so I will use similar language.

Very good. Keep the topic on SAFETY, and they will not mess around. Gun companies are far more concerned about safety issues, which can bring law suits. Than they are about customer satisfaction, which only brings complaints. It might not be a bad idea to make copies of the letter, and get it notarized before you send it off. If nothing else, it will get their attention.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
They'll fix it right if there's anything wrong with it. Seems odd that it's only one certain cylinders.

This
I would be concerned that there is something wrong on a wider scale and the other cylinders are just barely locking. I would not be happy at all.
Like a semi auto..it would have to prove that it was reliable.

Last edited:
My Model 586 was recalled for timing issues. I sent it back and they corrected it perfectly. Send it back.

I have a S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece
smile.gif
that I have had for going on fifty years and still start to drool when I take it out. Things change.

Smith and Ruger have had there share of revolver QC problems the past few years. If you spend much time on gun boards you will see it is much worse than several years ago. I know there is some "internet amplification" but there are just way more complaints than before. One thing is if you send it back 99% of the time they will take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back