New Riding Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we've been talking about getting a rider for some time now, and I've been considering buying a cheap one on craigslist. Well my mom and I split a deal, she will pay for it on her Sears card (12 months no interest) and I'll pay for half of each payment. It's a nice mower too. We rented a trailer and towed it home with the nox.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42inch-21...mp;blockType=G2

Nice and solid, the only requirement I really had was it had to have pressurized lubrication. This one fit the bill nicely. Nice to have a mower that can handle the tall and thick grass with ease for once, and not have to empty the bags constantly. Overall, quite satisfied. oh, and to answer the inevitable, I'm going to change it after the 2nd mow, with Rotella 5W-40 and a PureONE filter.

20120609_173600.jpg

20120609_173605.jpg

20120609_173609.jpg

20120609_173616.jpg

20120609_175341.jpg

I'm also considering fitting an oil pressure and oil temp gauge. Any advice/ideas on how to do that?

Last edited:
100_1505.jpg

100_1504-1.jpg

Just like mine I bought this spring. Have mowed at least 10-14 times. I mowed 6 times then changed oil and filter to M1 10-30 and a WIX 57035 filter. I looked at several machines but found the Craftsman was as good a mower as there is for the money. Also I believe the gas consumption to be good.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
So what's in it for your mom?

I was going to ask what's in it for Nick? I guess he had to cut the grass with a push mower before.
Enjoy the mower! I'm kind of half looking for a rider as well. I'm going to be up to over an acre soon, plus some trails, and the old lawn boy isn't getting any younger.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
So what's in it for your mom?

free labor? lol

Originally Posted By: mailman74
Are those Mobil 1 bottles on the steps ?

Eh? No those are just snapple bottles. I own 3 bottles of Mobil 1 5W-30 but they are old SM because my dad had them for the Jeep.

That's a nice mower.
I bought a Craftsman 18 HP (a model below yours) a couple of years ago and it has been very good. I use 10w30 full synthetic. (Some older stock SH rated full syn that I had). It doesn't use a drop so I don't think you need the 5w40.
What kind of OCI do you plan after the initial one?

A large gas tank and large bag capacity are my favorite things about having a riding mower. It's kinda cool to be able to mow at night. Enjoy!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-46inch-22...mp;blockType=G1 we bought this one last year for like 1400.00.It has a 22hp Kohler and i tell you what i am impressed.I give it [censored] and it takes it and its great on gas.I used 10w30 Defy when i changed the oil PER this sight should i upgrade??? I found the drain plug deal kinda squirrly it even turned some when i was trying to open it.It has a plastic end that unlocks and drains the oil i will keep an eye on it but other than that excellent machine for the money!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsnyder49090
I found the drain plug deal kinda squirrly it even turned some when i was trying to open it.It has a plastic end that unlocks and drains the oil i will keep an eye on it but other than that excellent machine for the money!

You can change that drain plug out to a short lenght of black pipe nipple, 90 degree elbow and plug, like on the older models, at least the B&S engines. I saved the drain from my old 15hp LT 4000 but never swapped it over.

The plastic plug, although flimsy, is a no tools, one handed affair and just so darn easy.

Granted, a good whack could send hot oil gushing everywhere and Sears no doubt did it as a cost cutting measure, not necessarily for customer convenience.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Just like mine I bought this spring. Have mowed at least 10-14 times. I mowed 6 times then changed oil and filter to M1 10-30 and a WIX 57035 filter. I looked at several machines but found the Craftsman was as good a mower as there is for the money. Also I believe the gas consumption to be good.

Yeah, I was about to say it looks just like tig's mower.

Good choice. The cast iron axle will take whatever you can throw at it. I wouldn't expect any problems from the engine either.

I would like to get a new one as I have and acre and a half to mow. I currently have a 12 year old 48 inch cut Craftsman. It has been very reliable.

Nick that is a very nice mower!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I'm surprised you split on a mower with your parents. Isn't it their house/yard
21.gif

But he lives there, too. I think it's nice that he's contributing to the household like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back