New Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 installed - initial impressions

New shoes installed on my 2015 Kia Sedona. These Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 were in the middle price tier ($229) but had the highest reviews/ratings on Tire Rack in the category.

Couple that with a 70K mileage warranty and attributes that bode well for this application (quiet ride, smooth ride), I couldn't find anything else in the price range that checked all those boxes.

Compared to the low cost east-Asian Travelstars the dealer put on when we bought it, the ride quality is night and day. You basically don't hear the tires except on very rough pavement. Ride quality seems improved also, in line with the reviews. Driving in heavy rain at speed presented no issues.

These are my first set of Pirellis and if initial impression is anything to go by, they seem good. I won't know for sure until 20K plus have elapsed, only have about 1K on them so far.

One thing that I found unusual is that they have a super deep transition from sidewall to the bead, which creates a large curb protector of sorts for the rim. Not sure how I feel about that, as the wife is the primary driver and let's just say she's not the most observant when it comes to navigating drive thrus and parking close to curbs. Scrapes on the rim are cheaper than new tires, but i don't like scrapes on the rim either. We'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• C88604F3-EE2C-4BD0-B45C-6D5403D8950D.jpeg
    C88604F3-EE2C-4BD0-B45C-6D5403D8950D.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 296
  • E58C9ADD-0AFE-4716-B72E-E5BFD62C0FF4.jpeg
    E58C9ADD-0AFE-4716-B72E-E5BFD62C0FF4.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 296
  • A2D42361-3A2F-4425-B758-89AF5AB0A074.jpeg
    A2D42361-3A2F-4425-B758-89AF5AB0A074.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 296
When I had a set installed onto a family friend’s RDX, I found them to ride significantly firmer than the Plus II.

Have these on our Atlas. 245/60/18. Got at Discount Tire and have ~10K mi on them now. A number of highway trips. Very quiet nice riding grand touring tire. All Season works well here in the Mid-Atlantic where snow is rare...have had them in light snow once...worked "fine"/no drama. Have recommended to a friend with a Honda Passport who has similar findings. Paid about $900 if I recall. Wear is only slightly at this point (9/32") so on-track for a long run on these.

Ouch! Things are getting pricey. I do like tires with the rim protection lip on them. Hopefully they serve you well for many years to come.
My Pilot Super Sports cost less--but 2016 lol

Oh dang, I stand corrected--2013. I never mounted them until 2016. and no, I'm not throwing them away as now they are 10.

Imagine a tire that came standard on the Ferrari 599GTB costed less in 2013, than an ordinary all season today.

Last fall, the Pilot Sport A/S 4's for the LS cost $207 at Costco, but they did also have $150 off. That's net $170.

I installed a set on my 2017 RDX about 2 months ago. Bought and installed at Sam's Club. Sam's Club had an $80 instant savings for the tires and another $80 discount for mounting which cuts the cost in half (for Plus members). Overall I paid $840 for 4 tires installed. Not bad.

Nice ride and quiet. Definite upgrade from the Kumho Crugen Premium the dealer installed when i bought the RDX back in 2020.

Update on these tires: so far so good. Still a quiet, comfortable ride and handles all conditions we see in these parts (northern KY) just fine. Have made a couple cross-country trips with no drama. I recently rotated them and given the remaining tread after 20K or so, I estimate I'll get 50K out of them. Every minivan I've ever owned has been hard on tires, and this heavy Kia seems no different. That said, they're wearing nice and even but doubtful I'll get the 70K or whatever treadlife they're rated at and I'm perfectly fine with that given the performance and ride quality.

Update - ~2 years/18.3K miles on these on our VW Atlas, sitting at 9/32" all around, primiarly daily driven/around town miles. Just had them rotated at Discount Tire, do it evey 5K so third rotation. I think these are v. good SUV tires.

Update - ~2 years/18.3K miles on these on our VW Atlas, sitting at 9/32" all around, primiarly daily driven/around town miles. Just had them rotated at Discount Tire, do it evey 5K so third rotation. I think these are v. good SUV tires.
Thanks for the review. Considering getting these installed on my wife's Honda Pilot when it needs tires. Typically install Continental LX25 tires on it but these Pirelli tires get good reviews

We got our first dose of snow a couple weeks ago, 1-2" which is enough to be considered snow where I live. Given the 1:1 snowflake to salt grain ratio (may be slightly exaggerating) they use around here I don't think that's a valid test compared to what you northerner's get. We had a flash freeze (0 degree temps) shortly after which turned a lot of it to ice. No complaints with these tires.

They are still very quiet and smooth tires. I'd definitely rate them above Cooper CS5 Ultras, which is the only similar tire I have to compare to in this size.

I've grown quite fond of the wheel protector lip. I've not noticed any scarring on the wheel or tire since these were installed. I still think I'll get about 50K out of them.

We got our first dose of snow a couple weeks ago, 1-2" which is enough to be considered snow where I live. Given the 1:1 snowflake to salt grain ratio (may be slightly exaggerating) they use around here I don't think that's a valid test compared to what you northerner's get. We had a flash freeze (0 degree temps) shortly after which turned a lot of it to ice. No complaints with these tires.

They are still very quiet and smooth tires. I'd definitely rate them above Cooper CS5 Ultras, which is the only similar tire I have to compare to in this size.

I've grown quite fond of the wheel protector lip. I've not noticed any scarring on the wheel or tire since these were installed. I still think I'll get about 50K out of them.
Pirelli is the premier manufacturer. Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental and Pirelli are 4 top brands.

Back