New Permatex Orange Threadlocker

Just when we figured out Red and Blue threadlocker, Permatex has come out with Orange threadlocker. Enjoy. www.permatex.com

8DA7437D-BE38-425F-8622-37C44AB2D3F9.png

Seems like it would make the blue and the red products obsolete.

And, per GEBO standards
cheers3.gif
, it seems that I have been using the blue product incorrectly the past decades. Bright shiny bolts require the use of primer according to the TDS. Dang it!

I've been using Vibratite blue Gel which might already do what this does. Project Farm tested it against the watery blue stuff and the Vibratite held up much more.

Just bought Loctite 243. It's supposed to be a little stronger than the popular 242, more heat resistant and works on oily surfaces. We'll see.

Who says red doesn't allow stuff to be disassembled? I don't see the reason for orange loc tite. I usually don't use loc tite and when I do it's red.

Who says red doesn't allow stuff to be disassembled? I don't see the reason for orange loc tite. I usually don't use loc tite and when I do it's red.
If the red is used on normal reactive metals, that are properly cleaned, meaning zero oily film allowed.
Red loctite is referred, by loctite as permanent. It can be disassembled if you use heat, I don't remember I think it has to be over 300 or 400 F to get it loose. If used on non grade 8 your likely looking for broken bolts. I personally think it is so stupid that Red is so prevalent on auto parts shelves. I'd hate to have to work on something that some unknowing person used it on. It can make a mechanics simple job turn into a major overhaul very quick. If your using red and its easy to remove then they either don't make it correct anymore or your not cleaning the threads, a primer helps too. I've had to machine red loctited bolts out of parts before because all got broken.

If the red is used on normal reactive metals, that are properly cleaned, meaning zero oily film allowed.
Red loctite is referred, by loctite as permanent. It can be disassembled if you use heat, I don't remember I think it has to be over 300 or 400 F to get it loose. If used on non grade 8 your likely looking for broken bolts. I personally think it is so stupid that Red is so prevalent on auto parts shelves. I'd hate to have to work on something that some unknowing person used it on. It can make a mechanics simple job turn into a major overhaul very quick. If your using red and its easy to remove then they either don't make it correct anymore or your not cleaning the threads, a primer helps too. I've had to machine red loctited bolts out of parts before because all got broken.

I’m honestly surprised how much red thread locker we sell at the parts store!

In posting number 1, it shows Permatex Orange in a blue bottle. This was at a time when Permax Red was in a blue bottle and Permatex blue was in a red bottle. Then, they must have hired a over priced management consultant who said “ why don’t we put Permatex Red in a red bottle, Permatex Blue in a blue bottle and Permatex Orange in a orange bottle. “ The rest is history.

Last edited:
I don't use primer and I usually clean with non-chlor brake cleaner. Fasteners with visible corrosion or old thread locker left in the threads get buzzed on the bench grinder wire wheel.

I too have never understood the claims of red being permanent or needing heat. They come apart fine with an impact, so I guess I'm not doing it right, or my bottle has been expired since it was new.

I dunno, I typically consider red and blue interchangeable for general automotive use. The point is to keep the fastener from readily loosening due to vibration or other loads. Either color does that (shrug). I know that makes me a huge ignoramus or luddite in BITOG world. Bummer. I'll still sleep tonight, so I'm good.

In school (machining) I was taught it's the Retaining Compound which is supposed to be permanent, but I also don't think we ever cleaned the parts properly (as students in a hurry)

Not for nothing, there's some interesting info here in the FAQ, including questions I never really pondered like why it doesn't cure in the bottle:

I don't use any primer, but I do clean the bolts with a wire wheel if I'm going to loctite them. I also don't use loctite on small or weak bolts that break easily. Only on bolts you can safely use a big impact on. I've never had a bolt break because I put red loctite on it. Sometimes it does take a few hundred ft lb to break them loose (originally torqued to 80 or so)

Reactions: D60
In posting number 1, it shows Permatex Orange in a blue bottle. This was at a time when Permax Red was in a blue bottle and Permatex blue was in a red bottle. Then, they must have hired a over priced management consultant who said “ why don’t we put Permatex Red in a red bottle, Permatex Blue in a blue bottle and Permatex Orange in a orange bottle. “ The rest is history.

All blue bottles where I’m at. Red green and blue

Back