Permatex "Red" Threadlocker - 4 different ones?

Upon researching, I learned that Permatex actually makes 4 different "RED" Threadlockers.

Permatex "High Strength" #27110: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...ermatex-high-strength-threadlocker-red-10-ml/
Permatex "Permanent Strength" #26210: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...ex-permanent-strength-threadlocker-red-10-ml/
Permatex "High Temperature" #27240: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...atex-high-temperature-threadlocker-red-36-ml/
Permatex "Large Diameter" #27740: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...rmatex-large-diameter-threadlocker-red-36-ml/

I'm guessing that some of these are relabeled Loctite products, but I was surprised to find that there are 4 different "RED" threadlockers with slightly different uses. So, whenever someone says to use "RED" threadlocker, it might be good to confirm which type is needed.

EDIT: This thread goes into some detail on the differences:

Last edited:
Always good practice to confirm application and specify product accordingly. For "Red" high strength applications we pretty much only use Loctite 263 here due to its ability to perform with traces of oils on the fasteners.

That's interesting. To me red simply meant "Permanent" I've been using harbor freight thread locker lately and I think all they have is red permeant and blue medium.
AFAIK, Loctite who really makes a majority of Permatex’s products despite the former selling the latter to ITW makes it confusing. Red is supposedly “high-strength” and requires heat or power tools to break part. I was able to disassemble a Graco airless paint pump that uses Loctite 271/272 for the piston packing glands by hand.

Blue thread locker is just as confusing. Loctite 242 is what we know as “removable”. There’s also a 243 “surface-insensitive” that can kick in the presence of oil/grease and on “inactive” metals like aluminum and stainless steel(but yet, Loctite considers mild steel, iron and copper/brass/bronze to be “active” metals - Loctite 7649 Clean ‘N Prep as well as Permatex Surface Activator has copper in it to help anaerobics kick quicker).

Always good practice to confirm application and specify product accordingly. For "Red" high strength applications we pretty much only use Loctite 263 here due to its ability to perform with traces of oils on the fasteners.
AFAIK, Loctite who really makes a majority of Permatex’s products despite the former selling the latter to ITW makes it confusing. Red is supposedly “high-strength” and requires heat or power tools to break part. I was able to disassemble a Graco airless paint pump that uses Loctite 271/272 for the piston packing glands by hand.

Blue thread locker is just as confusing. Loctite 242 is what we know as “removable”. There’s also a 243 “surface-insensitive” that can kick in the presence of oil/grease and on “inactive” metals like aluminum and stainless steel(but yet, Loctite considers mild steel, iron and copper/brass/bronze to be “active” metals - Loctite 7649 Clean ‘N Prep as well as Permatex Surface Activator has copper in it to help anaerobics kick quicker).
Older chart, but even within the same category, there are some differences in breakaway torque and removability. Looks like 263/268 may not require heat to remove, but 277 definitely does.

Looks like the Permatex part #'s (first 3 digits) match up with the Loctite numbers. :unsure:

1674155080244.png

1674155637846.jpg

8bd08a1c-addb-45c5-9024-e6267af7833f.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
as noted same but different purposes + Loctite makes MANY more types as well as some permatex products, search + learn the correct product four needs. i got the larger size of 243 on E-bay with some foreign language printed on it + it was about HALF price!! even before the current price gouging of today!

I can not think of an application for red thread lock, except maybe heavy equipment track shoe bolts, never on an automotive bolt or nut. I have used the orange though "removable high strength". I have used Green retaining compound for industrial sleeves.
I see those goofy youtubers using red thread lock as well as on some forums too. I'm thinking yeah if you never want to take it apart do that.

I can not think of an application for red thread lock, except maybe heavy equipment track shoe bolts, never on an automotive bolt or nut. I have used the orange though "removable high strength". I have used Green retaining compound for industrial sleeves.
I see those goofy youtubers using red thread lock as well as on some forums too. I'm thinking yeah if you never want to take it apart do that.
I have some experience with trackshoe bolts. All the ones I worked with were grade 12.9 fine thread and no thread locker. Master link bolts got a coating of antisieze. Then a generous torque + angle.

Brake caliper bracket bolts on the recent F150’s appear to use the equivalent of red Loctite.

axle nuts, crank pulley bolts, ring gears, chassis mounting or many variety of hack repairs.

my induction heater always wins 👍

Back